Game-Labs Forum

Gettysburg

Gmoney7447

swing your units way to the south of Mcpherson's Ridge and occupy the lower part of Seminary Ridge. You can use that as a launching point to attack the town or attack Cemetery Hill quickly. It's quite defensible and the Union will turn into the attackers for a part of the battle. Don't repeat history's mistakes!

Also it's definitely winnable after the 1st day- Pickett's Charge scenario is quite easy to win by attacking the southern objective. Rather anti-climactic if you ask me. 

I was surprised how easy it was to win on the final day by taking the southern objective and pushing up the union flank while putting slight pressure on their front.  Oh... if only Lee had listen to Longstreet. I've played everyday of Gettysburg and found CSA victories are pretty easy at any stage of the battle. 

Day 1 You really have to push hard and quick to secure the heights and then push the enemy north of the city and use my reinforcements from AP Hill and Ewell's Corps to crush their flank on his arrival. Longstreet's Corps I cut across the flat field west of Seminary Ridge and position them to attack Cemetery Hill as soon as the map opens up.  Usually works out perfect..... on BG level that is!!!!

Edited by CSX4451

On 6/29/2017 at 4:30 PM, Major Grigg said:

Run like hell as soon as your brigades get on the field. Don't slow down. I take control of south Seminary Ridge as soon as my first units get on the field. 

South Seminary Ridge? Interesting.

I tried Gettysburg three times. The two times, I tried a strategy much like you described. The problem was that the Union would always hunker down in the heavy woods of Oak Ridge, and were almost impossible to dislodge. By the time I did, the day was almost over, and I had no time to take Cemetery Ridge. 

On the third time, I tried a new strategy: I took Oak Ridge first, and blew away advancing Union soldiers from the heavy woods. Then, I sent a division to the southwest to take McPherson's ridge, which was lightly defended. From there, I advanced south from Oak Ridge, and attacked the Union defenders at Seminary Ridge, using the division I had sent to McPherson's ridge to flank them hard. Inflicting heavy casualties, I sent them packing across the creek into Gettysburg itself. With my reinforcements from the northeast, I swept down and hit their right flank, while still pressing hard from the north and west. I took Cemetery Ridge with time to spare, and only a handful of casualties.

This has been the most effective strategy for me, but every game is different. 

52 minutes ago, Albert Sidney Johnston said:

South Seminary Ridge? Interesting.

I tried Gettysburg three times. The two times, I tried a strategy much like you described. The problem was that the Union would always hunker down in the heavy woods of Oak Ridge, and were almost impossible to dislodge. By the time I did, the day was almost over, and I had no time to take Cemetery Ridge. 

On the third time, I tried a new strategy: I took Oak Ridge first, and blew away advancing Union soldiers from the heavy woods. Then, I sent a division to the southwest to take McPherson's ridge, which was lightly defended. From there, I advanced south from Oak Ridge, and attacked the Union defenders at Seminary Ridge, using the division I had sent to McPherson's ridge to flank them hard. Inflicting heavy casualties, I sent them packing across the creek into Gettysburg itself. With my reinforcements from the northeast, I swept down and hit their right flank, while still pressing hard from the north and west. I took Cemetery Ridge with time to spare, and only a handful of casualties.

This has been the most effective strategy for me, but every game is different. 

I tried this but even after sprinting my units to exhaustion I never have the time to take cemetery hill 

On 2017-06-29 at 10:22 PM, Gmoney7447 said:

I know I need to finish Gettysburg as the CSA on day one due to my army being outnumbered vastly but I can't seem to even get past the first skirmishers with taking heavy losses. Any tips?

Do not attack Oak ridge from the west, initially. It's a good defensive position with that large open field in front. Advance to Seminary Ridge as soon as possible. Hold off the union reinforcements. Wait for your own reinforcements, and then attack Oak from the south and west. Push those people north and bag'em. Then turn south and attack cemetery. 

• Like 1

This advice above is correct and will set you up for success. Bottle up but don't press the Union on Oak ridge .Grab Seminary ridge quickly and defend against the Union troops that come up.

One thing to note is where you should fight the XI Corps when it arrives. If you press across the little stream and initiate a fight in Gettysburg proper it becomes very hard to drive the Union back because of the cover in town. However, if you take Seminary ridge and set your lines on the other side of the ridge (facing the town but not entering it) the Union will generally attack you despite the unfavorable terrain because you are preventing them from linking with the troops north  and NW on the ridges town. It is much easier to break them while Defending and then to counter attack while swinging south.

They always leave some troops on Cemetery hill but if engaging the majority of the XI corps outside of the cover the town provides should give you enough time to set up artillery and launch an effective attack.

12 hours ago, GAR_Arapharzon said:

Do not attack Oak ridge from the west, initially. It's a good defensive position with that large open field in front. Advance to Seminary Ridge as soon as possible. Hold off the union reinforcements. Wait for your own reinforcements, and then attack Oak from the south and west. Push those people north and bag'em. Then turn south and attack cemetery. 

This is exactly what I do. Works every time.