Game-Labs Forum

Visual representation of in game uniform?

Perkon

At the moment, we only have ribbons, which after hoovering over with a mouse cursor show adequate medal. All of them are visible on the end game screen.

Would it not be nice, to have our uniform being visible in the game, instead of the ribbons, and medals? I made a primitive presentation of how I imagine it to look like.

Since there are plenty of people that are into US Civil War, we would easily find the type of uniform to be used, and everything else. Its not that important, but check Vietnam 65, and uniform there. Its amazing! They made another game called Afghanistan 11, and it has uniform as well. I wish more, and more games followed that path.

Uniform could be upgraded with items maybe, I dont know much about it.

What do you think?

steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net.jpg

steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.netsdf.jpg

dfgsdfgsd.png

336080_screenshots_2015-03-14_00001.jpg

chamberlain.jpg

Edited by Perkon
  • Like 2

We had an incredibly few amount of medals prior to the Civil War because it was a European custom. What would later become the Medal of Honor was given to enlisted men for a very long time got 80 years and its predecessors were pretty much certifications little Badges of honor and little bit of a pay raise. But we did have the Medal of Honor that involved during the Civil War given to many men that pretty much hold the standard during major battles.

9 hours ago, Sir R. Calder of Southwick said:

Medals were not issued during the Civil War. Their inclusion is nice but completely ahistorical.

Didnt know, then I consider my post, a mistake. Thanks for clarification.

Edited by Perkon

• 3 weeks later...

Here....

The Medal of Honor was the first medal for which all enlisted men in the U.S. military could be nominated.

On December 21, 1861, a bill was passed authorizing the production and distribution of 200 “medals of honor.”  Designed to “promote the efficiency of the Navy” the medals were would be “bestowed upon such petty officers, seamen, landsmen, and marines as shall distinguish themselves by their gallantry in action and other seamanlike qualities during the present war.”

U.S. CIVIL WAR MEDALS AND HONORS
Congressional Medal of Honor
Navy Medal Of Honor
Civil War Campaign Medal
Grand Army of the Republic Badges and Medals

CONFEDERATE MEDALS AND HONORS
Confederate Roll of Honor
Davis Guard Medal
New Market Cross of Honor
Southern Cross of Honor

http://civilwarsoldiersearch.com/medals-and-honors.html

• Like 1

I guess I should clarify. Medals existed but were not issued the way we think of it now. They weren't worn on uniforms until after the war. Most Medal of Honor issuances, for example, did not occur until decades after the war. For example, most Civil War scholars know that Joshua Chamberlain received the Medal of Honor for his actions at Little Round Top. What you may not know is that he did not receive this until 1893. Another example was Arthur MacArthur, who received his MoH in 1890.

Note from the site above, it likewise indicates that even the Southern medals were awarded years later by various organizations - not by the Confederate government.

The only real record of award system in use at the time, more so on the Union side as the Confederates never used them in practice and which has since become completely obsolete is the brevet rank system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brevet_(military)

http://www.civilwarhome.com/brevetrank.html

• Like 2

Thx for the info.  I knew a lot of the US awards were made many years later, hadn't realized is was so dramatically later. Nor had I known that the Confederate awards, likewise awarded many years later, were not from the Confederate government.

New data is always welcome.

16 hours ago, Andre Bolkonsky said:

There were no Confederate medals, the highest honor one could have in the Army of Northern Virginia was to be mentioned in dispatches. 

That didn't end with the Confederate Army in the Civil War. Being "mentioned in dispatches" remained an honor well into the 20th Century.

• 7 months later...