Game-Labs Forum

Brigade Names?

Gmoney7447

7 minutes ago, i64man said:

I was in the Army for a little bit of time (22 years) and what I have been doing is naming the units for Bdes I was assigned through my career like the 173rd Inf, 325th Regiment, etc.

Alright thanks for the idea. And for your service.

I'm particular when it comes to divisions staying together and working together on the field. So I label them according to corps-division/weapon and general 

ex: 1st corps 2nd division with 1855 rifle lead General Gibbon would be named 

1-2/55 Gibbon 

if if they aren't lead by a general, I don't put their name Down

I name my units either as regulars or volunteer units.

My first corps units are regulars and 1st Division is 1st thru 4th US Infantry paired with 1st and 2nd US Artillery.  I name second division as 11th thru 14th US Infantry and artillery as 11th and 12th.  This way I can keep the divisions straight on the field.

For the volunteers I have whole states comprise each division.  It's not realistic but is simpler.

For a while I considered adding battle honors to the titles and having things like Guards, Regulars, Volunteers, Militia designations to go with each star level but changing it got old quickly.  I give them names and designations once they hit one star of experience generally and not before then.

About that - regiments were usually raised by state, and it wasn't uncommon to mix up regiments in a brigade.  Even the Iron Brigade of the West didn't escape that fate, as famous as it was.  Originally an all-Wisconsin brigade, but then got Indiana and Michigan regiments and later on after Gettysburg had a Pennsylvania regiment in it.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, The Soldier said:

About that - regiments were usually raised by state, and it wasn't uncommon to mix up regiments in a brigade.  Even the Iron Brigade of the West didn't escape that fate, as famous as it was.  Originally an all-Wisconsin brigade, but then got Indiana and Michigan regiments and later on after Gettysburg had a Pennsylvania regiment in it.

Very true.  In the actual armies brigades were generally referenced by number or by their commanding officer.  I use state numbers for fun and feel really.

1 hour ago, Bigjku said:

Very true.  In the actual armies brigades were generally referenced by number or by their commanding officer.  I use state numbers for fun and feel really.

Only on the Southern side.    On the Union Side it was generally identified Corps/Division/Brigade/Regiment/Company   or IX Corps 3rd Div 2nd Brigade 8th CT.

In my newest Union campaign, I'm simply using 1st, 2nd, 3rd... etc.  Since the older brigades will be the more veteran (generally), and have the best weapons and commanders (since I follow the 'best get the best' doctrine), I'll be able to tell at a glance who the vets are and who's the cannon fodder without any funky naming scheme that has to be revised constantly when units get re-equipped or reassigned.  Boring but simple.  Cav and Skirms get their own numbering sequences, and artillery get Battery A, B, C etc (though I do ID the guns for them) e.g. Battery A (24#)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Playing as the CSA, I used Southern college team names. 

Texas Longhorns. 

Georgia Bulldogs

Florida Gators

Louisiana Tigers

Kentucky Wildcats

My 'elite' brigades were always named something. That's how I could easily tell them apart from my regulars and rookies. 

Edited by JD1507
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, A. P. Hill said:

They sound like football players instead of fighting soldiers. ;)

Louisiana Tigers was the common nickname for certain infantry troops from the State of Louisiana in the Confederate army during the American Civil War. Originally applied to a specific company, the nickname expanded to a battalion, then to a brigade, and eventually to all Louisiana troops within the Army of Northern Virginia. Although the exact composition of the Louisiana Tigers changed as the war progressed, they developed a reputation as fearless, hard-fighting shock troops.

Thus, we now have the LSU Tigers. Other states adopted their own:

Tennessee is known as the "Volunteer State", a nickname some claimed was earned during the War of 1812 because of the prominent role played by volunteer soldiers from Tennessee, especially during the Battle of New Orleans.

So I just kept the pattern going. 

Edited by JD1507

I like to know how my units are configured and what weapon they are carrying. 

Once they pick up a star, the names change dramatically and the best units get the best names: 

Levee and One Star:

·    (Commander)    Weapon Type + XP 

I never worry about the commander's name unless he is someone I am keeping an eye on: Sherman/Sheridan etc. 

A unit named "1842 G" or "Farmer G" is going to be a Green unit carrying a crap weapon that I have no problem using as a bayonet wedge or cannon fodder

A one star unit carrying M1855 rifles would be called  "1855 *", this  will form the backbone of my army, as always as the unit increases in skill its weapon will be upgraded when it reaches 2 and 3 star veterancy. 

Two Star:

·         'Discipline' + 'Marksmanship' = 'Rifles'

The unit that puts the FIRE in FIREPOWER

o   Astor Rifles, Scots Rifles,

o   New York, Vermont, Wisconsin, Virginia, Maine, Jersey, Kentucky, Arkansas - these all fit with the word 'Rifle' in the divisional name box

·         'Endurance' + 'Firearms' = 'Animals'

o   Wolverines / Badgers / Bears /

o   Razorbacks / Tigers / Gators / Tide / Volunteers  (SEC! SEC! SEC!)

Three Star / Guard Units:

·  my personal guard division is always the Scottish Division, 

o   Mons Meg - Artillery

o   Royal Scots Greys - Dragoons

o   Highlanders

o   Blackwatch

o   Cameronians - Scots Rifles

o   Lovat Scouts - Scoped Snipers

·         Famous Brigades

Saved for units who have done a particularly effective job and I am earmarking them for later greatness

o   20th Maine

o   21st Michigan

o   1st Wisconsin