Game-Labs Forum

Best cannons at the moment?

On 6/26/2017 at 6:23 AM, Bigjku said:

My favorite gun for balance is the 10 pound ordinance rifle.  It has a good long shell and canister range so it can influence a wide swath of front without having to stop firing and reposition.  It is very good at counter battery fire as well.  I generally have on or two batteries of 24 pound howitzers per corps and the remainder are 10 pound ordinance rifles.  I field 24 guns per division in my three main corps so it's about 96 guns a corps.

I would agree. 10 pdrs are probably the best. maybe you guys in the thread are better at placing artillery, but my 24 pdr just doesn't get that many kills (200 at most in grand battles). My 10pdrs (battery of 10 guns) on the other hand regularly get about 300 even at 1star. 

Napoleons aren't bad either, but they're still not as good as 10 pdrs. I think it's something to do with the lack of accuracy on the gun. 

35 minutes ago, vren55 said:

I would agree. 10 pdrs are probably the best. maybe you guys in the thread are better at placing artillery, but my 24 pdr just doesn't get that many kills (200 at most in grand battles). My 10pdrs (battery of 10 guns) on the other hand regularly get about 300 even at 1star. 

Napoleons aren't bad either, but they're still not as good as 10 pdrs. I think it's something to do with the lack of accuracy on the gun. 

I can do the big kill numbers with 24 pounders but the emplacement of the guns is critical and they can support maybe two to three brigades across a front.  10 pounders main advanatage is that they can probably effectively cover 2-3 times the frontage.

On 7/9/2017 at 2:46 PM, vren55 said:

If your 24 pounders aren't routinely getting 1,000+ kills, you need to work on your siting. They don't have to be right up on the line like Napoleons, but close enough where those massive barrels can throw plenty of hot lead at your foe.