Game-Labs Forum

Coming next

Bob johnson

On 02/07/2017 at 4:51 PM, RavenWargaming said:

Hi,

I know that I'm new here so my opinion does not count for much but let me say that I am staunchly against dynamic campaigns. Dynamic campaigns always sound like a good idea, but they rarely live up to expectations... and the monotonous assortment of (what amounts to) procedurally generated AI skirmishes will never compare to the satisfaction of experiencing a handcrafted campaign with a multitude of scenarios that allow both for variation in the missions themselves, and branching paths that promote replayability.

Dynamic campaigns can work, but only in the larger context of a game series like Total War, which takes place over hundreds of years and includes elements of diplomacy, economy management, buildings, etc. In other words, the amount of time and resources required to develop the strategy map/campaign elements to support a dynamic campaign would likely be prohibitive, and it's unrealistic to expect that level of development from (what I understand) is a small team with limited resources.

Therefore, I would caution anyone from advocating too loudly for dynamic campaigns - they sound good in theory, but more often than not their implementation leaves a lot to be desired.

Agreed, Too much ambition could backfire badly. A similarish game on a different period would probably be the best bet.