Game-Labs Forum
admin

Patch 10.3 - New event, PvP marks changes, changes to knowledge slots and other fixes

4 hours ago, DrZoidberg said:

Nowdays u cannot make games succesfull, if u force player into boring actions for hours without ensure the succes. It just will slowly kill the populaton. I dont say OS sailing is useless, but after exploring the map (outpost making).

Eve does it.

No teleporting unless you have jump clones.  AND gate camping is a thing.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hodo said:

It isnt just about the profit or the kill.

You're right.

It's about crushing your enemies, seeing them driven before you and hearing the lamentation of their women.

You worry too much about profits. War is always an expense. How you make your money to afford your war is the real question you should be asking.

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, Slamz said:

You're right.

It's about crushing your enemies, seeing them driven before you and hearing the lamentation of their women.

You worry too much about profits. War is always an expense. How you make your money to afford your war is the real question you should be asking.

There are a few rules to being a successful privateer.

- Anything stolen is pure profit

-Fear makes a good business partner

-War is good for business

-Peace is good for business

-Beware of small expenses: a small leak will kill a ship

These are from the Ferengi Rules of Acquisition and they apply quite well here.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Slamz said:

Don't traders have fun doing trade runs of Georgia Clay and Virgin Island Sunscreen or whatever from port to port?  And don't the people that love missions enjoy running missions?  So why is that warfighters are told over and over again in this forumn that "having fun doing PvP is reward enough"?  Traders and Grinders are allowed to have fun and GET PAID, but not PvP players?

• Like 3

@adminIf you are going to have an event. I'd recommend to have the ship wreck refilled every hour or so. It's silly to have it there for one or two people get it when they see it and then it's empty the rest of the time. Replenish the wreck so it continues to draw people out to fight over it.

Just wondering. Will there be a rebellion and the pirates are splitting in one faction and the rest scramble to individuals. 

Dear Developers!

I think u must support easier OS sailing, and u must support PVP. This is the 2 main reason if player leak happens.

Please enable automatic movement between outpost to ships without cargo. They should move till next server restart or till 1 day real time (24 h).

To support PVP: Let make outposts in freetown, and let players teleport to thier ships. I understand, that u dont want to threaten nooby PVE players by ganks. The solution is easie. To make an outpost in freetown should be far more expensive, than in homeport. Like 100-500 K gold. So players can have 1-2 max, and to move it will be very expensive. PVP marks should worth at least 5, but better if 10 PVP mark.

Thx for attention.

• Like 2

Loss of 300 players since patch PVP1 at peak .  Ouch.   No PVP .   Ouch.    Bad mistake.     Now everyone will have unlocked 5 slots.   

That was a bad decision to remove PVP marks.

• Like 1

One final (perhaps) thought on this topic of rewards for different styles of play:  If I were the hypothetical King of England, I'd rank the priorities of my subjects as follows:

1. Fighting my enemies.  Attacking trading, defending trading, and attacking and defending ports.  Building and defending an empire.

2. Crafting ships, modules, and cannons and bringing them to the player market to support #1.

3. Gathering and bringing to the player market all the resources needed for #2.

I would not care much about:

4. Attacking AI bot ships for target practice.  Practice is helpful for future warfighters, XP is kinda helpful for future warfighters, and gold is helpful for individual players, but mostly meaningless for national goals.

5. Trading Panamanian Hats and Havana Mojitos from port to port.  Earned money is helpful to individual players, but actual trade of trade goods to the AI is mostly meaningless for national goals.

So if the point of the game is to work as a nation to accomplish national goals, #1-3 should be appropriately rewarded to incentivize players to work in the national interest.  I think the concern expressed here is that presently, the game (the King so to speak) seems to richly reward #4 and #5 while making #1 - 3 less rewarding.  My feeling is that many players want to help the national cause by doing #1-3, but dislike the fact that the reward structure forces players or encourages them to do their own thing and ignore the national interest things.  I mean, setting aside the PvP complaints that have been said before, consider Iron. Iron is being sold to the AI by the thousands in far away ports because its far more rewarding to sell to the AI than put it on the market for players to build ships and cannons.  If you can sell to the AI for 106 right away but to players for 80 in a couple of days, why would you sell to players? 

My respectful recommendation is that the developers consider that the rewards system (marks, gold, XP, etc) should match the rewards a hypothetical government would give for player actions.  They would reward actions in the national interest, and do so based on the relative risk to the player and benefit to the national interest. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Qwolf said:

Don't traders have fun doing trade runs of Georgia Clay and Virgin Island Sunscreen or whatever from port to port?  And don't the people that love missions enjoy running missions?  So why is that warfighters are told over and over again in this forumn that "having fun doing PvP is reward enough"?  Traders and Grinders are allowed to have fun and GET PAID, but not PvP players?

Because you were paid in a currency that non pvp players couldn't get which gave you an unfair advantage over them.

4 minutes ago, Qwolf said:

One final (perhaps) thought on this topic of rewards for different styles of play:  If I were the hypothetical King of England, I'd rank the priorities of my subjects as follows:

1. Fighting my enemies.  Attacking trading, defending trading, and attacking and defending ports.  Building and defending an empire.

2. Crafting ships, modules, and cannons and bringing them to the player market to support #1.

3. Gathering and bringing to the player market all the resources needed for #2.

I would not care much about:

4. Attacking AI bot ships for target practice.  Practice is helpful for future warfighters, XP is kinda helpful for future warfighters, and gold is helpful for individual players, but mostly meaningless for national goals.

5. Trading Panamanian Hats and Havana Mojitos from port to port.  Earned money is helpful to individual players, but actual trade of trade goods to the AI is mostly meaningless for national goals.

So if the point of the game is to work as a nation to accomplish national goals, #1-3 should be appropriately rewarded to incentivize players to work in the national interest.  I think the concern expressed here is that presently, the game (the King so to speak) seems to richly reward #4 and #5 while making #1 - 3 less rewarding.  My feeling is that many players want to help the national cause by doing #1-3, but dislike the fact that the reward structure forces players or encourages them to do their own thing and ignore the national interest things.  I mean, setting aside the PvP complaints that have been said before, consider Iron. Iron is being sold to the AI by the thousands in far away ports because its far more rewarding to sell to the AI than put it on the market for players to build ships and cannons.  If you can sell to the AI for 106 right away but to players for 80 in a couple of days, why would you sell to players? 

My respectful recommendation is that the developers consider that the rewards system (marks, gold, XP, etc) should match the rewards a hypothetical government would give for player actions.  They would reward actions in the national interest, and do so based on the relative risk to the player and benefit to the national interest. 

You assume everyone wants to play the way you do. A true rogue pirate wouldn't give 2 shits about any nation or its goals.

Edited by Fengist
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fengist said:

You assume everyone wants to play the way you do. A true rogue pirate wouldn't give 2 shits about any nation or its goals.

1. If all you want to do is trade and PvE, that's totally fine by me.  There is even a whole server for that.

2. Your rogue pirates point is well taken, and is a whole different can of worms on Pirate mechanics.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fengist said:

A true rogue pirate wouldnt be able to build ships, guns, or operate out of any one port for a long period of time.   Real rogue pirates wouldnt have a nation, or a place to call home.  They would scramble from day to day just trying to make it. They would also be at risk of being voted out of the captains spot because of a bad voyage.   Yep... you dont want that.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hodo said:

A true rogue pirate wouldnt be able to build ships, guns, or operate out of any one port for a long period of time.   Real rogue pirates wouldnt have a nation, or a place to call home.  They would scramble from day to day just trying to make it. They would also be at risk of being voted out of the captains spot because of a bad voyage.   Yep... you dont want that.

I don't consider sitting in some tropical port drinking rum to be a struggle.

Does anyone have some informations about that event? It came out from nowhere at friday at a time where normal people work

6 hours ago, Twig said:

Does anyone have some informations about that event? It came out from nowhere at friday at a time where normal people work

What is normal folks work time?  Where they on the same times for both servers?  Wasn't on.  If they where during only EU prime time than it wasn't fair for the global server.  They need to have these events on random rotation of times not set any one time.   Would like to know more other than the fact I heard you got chest with mods/refits and maybe a ship not or BP in it.

I like the xp Knowledge system. 

But i dont understand why we get no reward Money,xp,etc. when you loose a normal battle

20 hours ago, Hodo said:

LOL you have never hunted have you?

In real life or in this game.  It isnt just about the profit or the kill.   While I can go out and easily take a LGV NPC in a Cutter and make bank and never have to pay a dime for repairs.   But that isnt really fun for me.  It isnt fun for anyone except the simple gamer.

I could blow nearly a million on a Constitution to go hunt with.  And maybe just maybe run across an indiamen once in a blue moon.  AND if it is loaded with valuable cargo I might be able to pay off the ship and make profit for the trip.  Seeing as the cost of a Constitution on the market ranges around 1mil, then the cost of guns, is close to another million if you buy longs off of players on the market.   So you are looking at a 2mil ship, that NEEDs to make 2mil to break even.  Then you need to make up for any damages sustained and time at sea to match overhead.    I usually factor 7.5K per ship rating per real life hour.  So a 7th rate can make 7.5k in an hour running single combat orders, a 6th rate can make 15k, and so on.  So a Constitution is a 4th rate 4*7.5= 30k per hour+ 2mil ship cost + repairs.  

So my overhead in the Constitution is considerably higher than you think.  An empty Indiamen is only going to sell for about 600k on the market maybe 1.5mil IF I am luck and price gouging.   Then I have to factor in shop fees.

Maybe my purser and I spend to much time together but I am not seeing how my profit margins are better in the Constitution vs the Lynx or Privateer, if anything they are about the same.

Have you ever been hunting in real life yourself?

The profit margins should be anything from big losses to big winnings, no matter if you sail a big ship or a small ship. Sometimes it's a win, sometimes it's a loss. You should never ever compare a game with real life hunting unless it is a hunting simulator. I've got 1000s of hours as a real hunter, and you will never ever get to go home with a loaded bank account compared to what you got vs the time you spent on your prey. So don't do that.

I believe that it does not matter how expensive you make 1st rates, players will wait until they get a full fleet (+some) before attacking another nation.

To make port battles more interesting, make rate limits.  2x1st, 4x2nd, 8x3rd, 11x4th, or something similar.  Could be also port specific, multiple different scenarios.  Another option could be BR limited, or br and rate limited.  There could be also full 1st rate battle in some important ports.

Players would need to grind skill slots for multiple ships, and of course own those ships as well.

Mixed fleet battles will be probably 100 times more interesting.

Easier for casuals and smaller nations.

• Like 2

I am not asking rng crafting back but I have to say that when we had it, stores were full of ships.

Right now people craft a ship for themselves and/or clan.  When they have their ships, they stop crafting, because why would they craft more?  They save materials for future needs, but thats it.

RNG Crafting is a pain, but it created way better economy.

Any good ideas how we could achieve similar economy as with RNG, but without RNG?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cmdr RideZ said:

Right now people craft a ship for themselves and/or clan.  When they have their ships, they stop crafting, because why would they craft more?

For proffit, simply said. In an old economy when 1st rates were hard to get (over 1 year ago), eventually they started appearing in stores, once people had their own ships. It would be the same now, if not for one difference...

The difference right now is that 1st rates require conquest marks. If CM could be received eg. by PvP, crafters would gladly build ships to people that already have permits.

17 hours ago, Twig said:

The event popped up for me around 8PM EST on the global server. 

I dont know about you but I am not at work on a Friday evening at 8PM if I can help it.

On 6/24/2017 at 5:46 AM, Thomas Sailaway said:

Have you ever been hunting in real life yourself?

The profit margins should be anything from big losses to big winnings, no matter if you sail a big ship or a small ship. Sometimes it's a win, sometimes it's a loss. You should never ever compare a game with real life hunting unless it is a hunting simulator. I've got 1000s of hours as a real hunter, and you will never ever get to go home with a loaded bank account compared to what you got vs the time you spent on your prey. So don't do that.

He was talking about hunting ships in Naval Action.