Game-Labs Forum
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Article on Trireme Commander & Mare Nostrum

'Talented developers should starting breaking molds and develop this rich milieu.'

Naval Action 3, the peloponnesian war?

btw a good related book is Lords of The Sea. good easy and fast read.

41T9dEpQ8XL.jpg

@Captain Jean-Luc Picard They look interesting. Mare Nostrum is in beta testing, link below. I tried their other title Quadriglia, chariot racing and it is a fun little game.

http://www.slitherine.com/beta/cnda.asp?gid=650

Maybe they are still looking for testers. I am signed up for the Field of Glory II beta - Ancient land warfare on the model of Slitherine's Pike & Shot games.

Quadriga was a good idea indeed. Would like to see a more in-depth successor down the years.

Not to rain on the parade here but I can't imagine that galley combat would actually make much of a thrilling game, the main body of combat being produced by boarding marines, with a small emphasis on bows and arrows or ballistae, however these weapons were rarely that effective. The other issue with galley style combat is its basically just jostling for prime position because committing to an attack is very final, its then very difficult to disengage. Rams were more about keeping a stable fighting platform than sinking an opponent, which is part of the reason they slowly moved above the waterline as time went on. The other main tactical thing to do would be sweeping past disabling the oars of an adversary although this was a very risky manoeuvre due to the same thing being countered back to your own ship.

There isn't even that much need to pay attention to the wind, as the majority of power in battle came under oar, so really the game makes more sense as a tactical set up almost like chess where you have to set traps, manage fatigue so you can get the optimal positioning with your crew still having enough energy to be able to fight. In my eyes galley combat would make a much better game set up as a fleet commander over a ship commander.

@DeRuyter There is a greenlight page for it created by toucanatran from Seatlle,  if i follow the videos they are posted by Peter Turcan on youtube, a guy now in Seattle who has made a few wargames.

Since it seems to be a rather indie wargame and is mentionned early on The Wargamer, it seems fair to assume that it is matrix/slitherine who will publish him ( they are all related ).

Embedding the videos in question:

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

I was a bit disappointed by the game mare nostrum because it's a board game replica rather than a galley simulation. I want something that sates my curiosity about galley warfare and how it works rather than something like mare nostrum which is just dice rolls and a lot of the time abstract mechanics that take control from the player rather than physics and player decisions.

I would prefer Trireme Commander because it is at least attempting simulation.

Love it for being a electronic tabletop.

Wouldn't mind the "figurines" to be at NA GL model standards while retaining the wargame mechanics.

I am not interested in fake abstracted games sorry. Interested in the how galley warfare really worked. Because we know so little about it. I don't roll dice to drive a car, I get in and do it.