Game-Labs Forum

Hjalfnar fighting for the Union! (major general)

• 1 month later...

FINALLY I have some time for this awesome game. Sadly my internet at my new house sucks, so streaming is not an option for the next years, I fear. But at least I can play the best strategy game of the last decade! I updated the LP on 1.04 though (aka started anew and played until after the Battle of Shiloh), let's see how the new features work out, shall we? ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Pensinula Campaign has failed and the retreating Federal forces are under constant pressure by General Lees rebels! Williams troops, protecting the right flank of the Army of the Potomac have to stop the relentless advance of the Confederates and make their stand near a mill owned by Dr. Gaines...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It's been a while, huh? Yeah, life's busy with two kids, a new house, a new dog and some 30 new fishes, prawns and Axolotl. xD At least this is what these things are called in Germany, pretty cute. Nevermind, this was not really the reason for my long absence. I have been in contact with a big Austrian military history youtube channel, maybe some of you know Military History Visualized, for quite a while now. For some reason he liked my gaming videos, we talked, played a few games together and while doing this we had the idea for a new YT channel. There are quite a few people out there making videos about historical movies, the most successful is History Buff. So some of MHVs fans, knowing he was into gaming, asked him for advice which games are at least partially historical accurate. And this is excactly, what my new channel does now, checking games out for the base historical accuracy, but also immersion. It took some time to set it up and work out how it should be done (actually, I am still adjusting quite a few things), but in December the first video went live and was a stunning success. By now, it is at 10.000 views (Call of Duty: WW2) and the second one, released last month, is close to 9000. At the same time I gained over 2000 subs with only two videos, so I think there is some potential.

Sadly this has forced me to stop recording other games until now, because you sometimes really need to do quite some research on very specific stuff where internet sources are just not reliable (for example the number of certain captured weapons the Germans used in WW2). I am trying to at least finish my ongoing video series', especially for UG:CW (which is of course one of games HGV will cover in the next months, and one of the few with a chance to get the VERIFIED stamp!).

To cut a long story short: sorry for the long delay, I'll release the next HGV vid in a few days and at the same time I am pushing through the Union campaign on Major General to get to the point where I was. So I think new let's play videos will be showing up in around two weeks.

Thänk you for reading!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 7/22/2018 at 1:31 AM, Hjalfnar_Feuerwolf said:

I decided to stop doing videos on the smaller battles, as this takes the fun out of the game for me for some reason. So enjoy a cut directly to the extremely bloody Battle of Antietam today!

Nice victory mate! I really like the way you set up and name your brigades. It is nice to see a Union campaign being actively played at the moment :) keep it coming.

Confederates were very aggressive there i must say, especially in trying to take back the wooded area near the church. They really went at you with charges by multiple units :D so many dead...

Thank you! Yeah, naming the brigades the way my viewers want them to be named is pretty nice, I do that in my (at this time pausing) Panzer Corps LP, too. For example "Retterlings Raiders" were named after my viewer Hutz aka Retterling, an ex German army recon tank platoon commander. xD In my Panzer Corps LP he is "commanding" my sole recon unit. And the "Klinks Loyal Western Virginian Mounted Rangers" were named by my viewer German Klink, who is right now living in Western Virgina. He is a civil war reenactor btw...but for the rebels, I fear.^^

If you want to "command" a brigade, just post a comment here or on Youtube which one you would like and of course tell me the name.

On the agressiveness...yes, that surprised me quite a bit, the last time I played this battle the AI held her position and gave me lots of trouble doing so. But this time, I have no idea why they attacked so fiercely.

Edited by Hjalfnar_Feuerwolf
  • Like 1