Game-Labs Forum

Hjalfnar fighting for the Union! (major general)

Hi guys (and girls?!),

my name is Hjalfnar and I am from Germany. I recently started my first campaign with UG:CV, got positively suprised by update 0.9 and now started anew. xD Hope you guys enjoy the videos I'll be posting here and would like to get some feedback on what I am doing. As I am completely new to the game any criticism is welcome, the same goes for the video and comment quality. I am playing on normal difficulty.

BATTLE OF PHILLIPI (tutorial mission)

DISTRESS CALL (secondary mission 1)

FIRST BATTLE OF BULL RUN (grand battle 1)

RIVER CROSSING (secondary mission 2)

CROSSROADS (secondary mission 3)

BATTLE OF SHILOH - DAY ONE (grand battle 2 part 1)

BATTLE OF SHILOH - DAY TWO (grand battle 2 part 2)

SECURE RIVER (secondary mission 4)

RENDEZVOUS (secondary mission 5)

BATTLE OF SEVEN PINES (secondary mission 6)

BATTLE OF GAINES' MILL (grand battle 3)

BATTLE OF MALVERN HILL (grand battle 4)

KETTLE RUN (secondary mission 7)

Edited by Hjalfnar_Feuerwolf

Btw, "Corps" is pronounced "Core" (the p and s are silent).  You pronounce it as one would pronounce the word "corpse", which is a dead body.  

Good job on the Distress Call.  I'm not sure if you are aware that prisoner exchanges are capped at 1,000 extra recruits for you, no matter how many you capture.

And thanks to you too, sir! Should have remembered from french lessons of course...and HoI3. And no, I did not know prisoners were capped. So would it be better to kill the rebs if I already captured more then 1000, or does capturing the soldiers yield more captured weapons as well?

Yes it's better to kill than capture more than you can convert.  But keep in mind a capture ends a fight right now.  Killing opens you up to taking further losses from other enemy units.

In general if you can capture units do it INHO.

THat is...strange. xD Wouldn't it make more sense that captured units give more weapons instead of none? I mean, if they are freed during a battle they start fighting again, so they don't destroy their weapons when they are overrun. Well, anyway I did as you said in 1st Bull Run and it was a major success, though it felt wrong. Cornered the rebs and got them all to rout. As they had nowhere to go they got massacred without shooting back. One unit racked up above 1700 kills while taking less then 50 dead. Incredible. Video should be up tomorrow.

On 6/14/2017 at 7:18 AM, Bigjku said:

My understanding is that should produce better results once you cap out your captures.  Surrendered troops give you no weapons some say.  Killed troops give you weapons.

Dartis and Sterner have stated flat out the weapons of surrendered troops are added to captured weapons at the end of the match; albeit probably at the same percentage as fallen troops. . 

Have they?  Had not seen that anywhere. If so good news.  Should be at like 50-75%.  If it's same percentage if still makes sense to kill them as it adds to your units XP I believe.  The only reason to capture anyone is the recruit bonus which is capped.

Thought you handled that battle pretty well.  I don't ever storm the initial bridge is my major difference in approach.  I simply bombard and try to stage a major fight coming downhill with the large part of the army.  Then I try to slip Sherman and the other large brigade in behind and cut off retreat to the main victory point in phase 2.

Your results seem pretty damn good though.

• 2 weeks later...

Who cares for the union? Ain't no challenge, plus it should basically end once you win at bull run. That's like playing the americans in hearts of iron there is just no point besides making the same war with less casualties. The romance is on the rebel side!
All the what ifs and the challenges, taking history into your own hands, changing the world, fighting so that people can be slaves, that's where the fun is at!

So, as yesterday was Independence Day in the rebelling colonies also known as United States of America (:P) AND the sixth birthday of my daughter (and also of one of our cats...) I decided to do a special UGCV week for my two channels. So, three vids upcoming in a row, namely Crossroads and Battle of Shiloh. Looking forward to your advices and also criticism as I most likely did a lot wrong in the eyes of the more experienced civil war generals! :wacko:

The Battle of Shiloh has begun! I have to admit, this one was nerve-wracking. I should max out my supplies next time, having no ammo left at the hight of the battle is not a pleasant experience.

Additional info: Some might have noticed the strange names of my units. The reason for this is I have a habit of letting my viewers  take "command" of units I use in my Let's Plays. As you can't rename the unit commanders in this game, my viewers instead became "patrons" of the units. I have a Panzer Corps LP on my german channel where almost my entire force consists of named units and their commanders really care about them.^^ So, these are the current patrons:

Active:

1st NY Headhunters (Infantry) - H34DHUN73R, Strategycon Interactive Forum

Battery Seidel (Artillery) - Masstastico, channel supporter (gifted the game to me)

Mickey's Guns (Artillery) - deltadagger, SI

Retterlings Raiders (Melee Cavalry) - Von Retterling, SI

Litles Raiders (Melee Cavalry) - litle-man, SI/Youtube

1st PA Hohenlohe (Infantry) - Hohenlohe, SI

2nd ME Hendricks (Infantry) - Atlan Gorgonzales, Youtube

3rd US Sharpshooters Coyotes (Skirmisher) - Tom Coyote, SI/Youtube

1st DE Militia Infantry (Infantry) - Oerty, SI

Planned:

Sharpes Cannons (Artillery) - Sharpe, SI

Klinks Loyal WV Mounted Rangers (Skirmisher Cavalry) - oberst_klink, SI

Sharps Sharpshooters (Skirmishers) - Miyamoto Musashi, YT

7th NH Militia (Infantry) - Frankenland, SI

4th OH Volunteers (Infantry) - DerGraf, SI

If some of you want to take part in this, just tell me. ;)

What kind of muskets are you carrying in your first few brigades?  I am guessing pretty high end for this early?  You have a lot of idle troops in the reserve pool.  I would get them deployed soon even with 1842's or even Farmers as the game scales quickly in terms of troops needed over the next several major battles.