Game-Labs Forum

Sell prices at 1

Genma Saotome

Question

15 answers to this question

The sell price goes to 1 when the NPC shop has more inventory of the good in question than it needs.

The sell price will go above 1 once the inventory of the good has been drawn down sufficiently to "create demand" on the part of the NPC shop again.

TLDR too many people have sold too many of the item in question to the NPC shop you're at. You need to find somewhere else to sell it.

This REALLY p/sses me off not the OP but the label. Do you mean the Bid Price or Ask Price...? I assume you mean the Bid Price that is incorrectly label SELL.

Admin

For the love of God, I've told you many times before. All shop prices to show 2-way prices MUST be labelled BID & ASK. By NA Labelling them SELL & BUY is simply incorrect Real Life and you don't help the players understanding of markets. Its simple JUST DO IT PLEASE. You don't help the player by showing prices from his perspective in any way shape or form...

Norfolk

(Confused Market Maker in AoS)

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Norfolk nChance said:

This REALLY p/sses me off not the OP but the label. Do you mean the Bid Price or Ask Price...? I assume you mean the Bid Price that is incorrectly label SELL.

it is indicated based on the stock market generally accepted principles
sell - you sell
buy - you buy 

bid ask would also be correct but not everyone understands that

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Norfolk nChance said:

Admin understood and beg to completely differ.

well the difference is whether we show it from the player side or from the market side
if from the market - then it should be buy/sell  (market buys/market sells)
if from the player - then it should be sell/buy    (player sells/player buys)

changing the words is simple and is not the issue we will fight to the death if everyone will say it is a problem.

• Like 2

The buy/sell problem occurs when trying to describe things in the forum. If I say 'the shop buys stone for 22' I think everyone understands what I mean. If I say 'the shop buy price is 22', then am I referring to the price the shop pays for stone or the price in the BUY column when looking at the shop UI? Consequently I try to be careful in when posting here to make sure my meaning is clear.

But in game there is no confusion, so no change is needed.

To me, 'bid' implies a competitive auction (which we don't have) and I haven't a clue what 'ask' might mean, but again it suggests some sort of negotiation whereas shop prices (at that moment in time) are fixed.

the market needs to seriously lower sell price of items when market is flooded and buy is at 1.

I see places that have 1000+ iron fittings so buy is at 1 yet sell is over 1k a piece which is crazy money. how do you expect anyone to buy?

• Like 2

Just now, Smithy said:

the market needs to seriously lower sell price of items when market is flooded and buy is at 1.

This would make a lot of sense in my opinion. If the market buy price is made on supply/demand the sell price also should.

I think this would solve a lot of problems for crafters and give more trading opportunities.

12 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I see places that have 1000+ iron fittings so buy is at 1 yet sell is over 1k a piece which is crazy money. how do you expect anyone to buy?

this is the whole problem ..in a balanced economy ..if the buy price is 1 ..the sell price would also drop ..encouraging people to buy from the market rather than over produce and drive down the buy price ....this would create a balance in the market ... and encourage trading,  as traders would take advantage of a surplus of supply in one port and trade it to another port where there is more demand and higher prices ... keeping a static pre set sell price just means that no one is going buy its cheaper to go out and produce more and push the buy price lower .  there should be a ratio between the sell and buy price ..even if  the sell price was 100% of the buy price you would see a better player driven economy

• Like 2

I red it the other way around too. Because from my point of view, im looking at what the shop offers me (what the shop buys and sells). So maybe you can do it from shop perspective and change it to what shop BUYS and SELLS (no confusion if you add the 'S')

5 hours ago, admin said:

changing the words is simple and is not the issue we will fight to the death if everyone will say it is a problem.

Always thought it should say "sell to port" and "buy from port" or maybe just "sell to" and "buy from".

14 minutes ago, Havelock said:

o maybe you can do it from shop perspective and change it to what shop BUYS and SELLS (no confusion if you add the 'S')

7 minutes ago, Slamz said:

Always thought it should say "sell to port" and "buy from port" or maybe just "sell to" and "buy from"

Either of these two suggestions would be more clear - less chance for confusion - than the wording we are currently given in ports

22 hours ago, admin said:

well the difference is whether we show it from the player side or from the market side
if from the market - then it should be buy/sell  (market buys/market sells)
if from the player - then it should be sell/buy    (player sells/player buys)

If you change it to "You sell" and "You buy" nobody will be confused.  Even "U sell" and "U buy" would work if space is a concern.