Game-Labs Forum
Christendom

Tow To Port Needs Work

Some weird glitchy things going on with the function.  I TP'd halfway from bermuda to the east coast and ended up in the shallows south of Swannsboro, fairly exposed.  

575790e8fde028bbb60028c7b4879f55.jpg

Later on in the day during the New Orleans port battle that was still ongoing a player went to teleport home and ended up right under the New Orleans port, an enemy one.  It wasn't even contested yet.  Seems a bit wonky.  If you have smuggler on it takes you to an enemy port.. even if you're in a fighting ship.  

I think this needs to be adjusted.  Yea maybe the teleport to capital with full goods was a bit OP, but the current tow makes zero sense it is pretty much useless.  

Edited by Christendom

The tow to port function takes you to the nearest deep water port, enemy or friendly. Seems to be working as intended except for dropping you close to the port instead of inside it. Probably just an issue specific to Swannsborough.

As I understand it the tow to port functionality isn't intended to be "useful" in terms of playing the game. Teleports were originally added as a fail-safe for when people became stuck on the open world. Their current incarnation fulfills this important function while minimizing their ability to be abused for gameplay advantage.

• Like 1

It can take you to an enemy port whether you have smuggler on or not. Nearest deep water - no distinction between friend or enemy.

You screenshot is odd though

Edited by Remus

Sounds like it's working as intended - teleporting you to the nearest deep-water port.

It's a final resort unstuck feature, not a 'cut your sailing trip in half' or 'teleport to nearest friendly port' feature.

19 minutes ago, Christendom said:

Yea maybe the teleport to capital with full goods was a bit OP, but the current tow makes zero sense is is pretty much useless.

It's supposed to be useless. For anything but getting unstuck if your ship somehow gets stuck with shallows on every side for instance, which can happen since this game is still in alpha. You're not supposed to use it to teleport home after a port battle, or to teleport from where you are to where you need to be. You are supposed to always sail there.

It is not meant to be used as a game mechanic. It is meant to be a "get unstuck for whatever bug" command option.

• Like 1

Just now, The Red Duke said:

It is not meant to be a game mechanic. It is meant to be a "get unstuck for whatever bug" command option.

sigh  

Naval Action Trucker just became Naval Action Long Haul Trucker

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Christendom said:

sigh  

Naval Action Trucker just became Naval Action Long Haul Trucker

You can get any resource within 30 mins from la navasse. You don't have to long haul.
Pick a home, capture necessary resources around it, and you are all set.

• Like 6

i logged in last night with 30 minutes available and though sure i may as well sail back to willemstad from rio tocuyo for the sake of doing something. fast forward 20 minutes after forgetting while alt tabbed and im in the middle of nowhere and need to log so hit tow thinking id likely end up back some friendly port near willem. nope! sale-trou! so now my next 1-2 hour session i get will be spent alt tabbed sailing back to willem. awesome.

Edited by Smithy

43 minutes ago, admin said:

You can get any resource within 30 mins from la navasse. You don't have to long haul.

you crack me up sometimes.  

Anyway....being able to tow to the nearest port enemy or friendly opens up a pretty big loophole/exploit for PB fleets and screeners.  New Orleans for example, a player was able to teleport right into the NO harbor from a fair distance away.  Out of the view of land.  An attacking screening fleeting could potentially all hit tow, teleport right under that ports docks and pick off the enemy screeners or possible PB fleet without having to engage the enemy ships trying to screen them out.  Theoretically an entire enemy fleet could tow right under the docks, screeners engage and then the PB fleet just maneuvers into position.   A lot of potential here for tomfoolery.  

Edited by Christendom
  • Like 4

And where's the patrols to keep those screeners in check ? Let's not excuse a not so good thing with another not so good thing.

1 minute ago, Christendom said:

you crack me up sometimes.  

Anyway....being able to tow to the nearest port enemy or friendly opens up a pretty big loophole/exploit for PB fleets and screeners.  New Orleans for example, a player was able to teleport right into the NO harbor from a fair distance away.  Out of the view of land.  A screening fleeting could potentially all hit tow, teleport right under that ports docks and pick off the enemy screeners or possible PB fleet without having to engage the enemy ships trying to screen them out.  Theoretically an entire enemy fleet could tow right under the docks, screeners engage and then the PB fleet just maneuvers into position.   A lot of potential here for tomfoolery.  

Someone posted it should dump you back at your starting port. That sounds a good idea to me. I'm back using tow to knock a hunderd miles or so off hauling, Not a lot, but it's something.

36 minutes ago, admin said:

As i heard in chat. Its mostly not because of resources its because of greed for conquest marks.

1 minute ago, Remus said:

Someone posted it should dump you back at your starting port. That sounds a good idea to me. I'm back using tow to knock a hunderd miles or so off hauling, Not a lot, but it's something.

or just nearest non-enemy port.  

1 minute ago, Christendom said:

or not to conquested ports ;-)

• Like 1

Thing is, trying to reduce hauling distance may be a worthy endeavour, but teleporting straight to the front porch of a port - circumventing most risks to your cargo (or, the way it worked pre-hotfix, risking virtually nothing other than the ship in its best condition to escape) - isn't the way to go about it. It was horrid the way it was before , and even now it provides a number of loopholes.

10 minutes ago, Christendom said:

That would be more useful for me (as a crafter), and also for traders, but your loophole seems more important to close.

34 minutes ago, Smithy said:

i logged in last night with 30 minutes available and though sure i may as well sail back to willemstad from rio tocuyo for the sake of doing something. fast forward 20 minutes after forgetting while alt tabbed and im in the middle of nowhere and need to log so hit tow thinking id likely end up back some friendly port near willem. nope! sale-trou! so now my next 1-2 hour session i get will be spent alt tabbed sailing back to willem. awesome.

Thats all on you for having zero plan. 

1 minute ago, Smithy said:

did we not have it before that you could teleport to capital but not with cargo? what was wrong with this?

The devs think being able to teleport ships is evil.

8 minutes ago, Smithy said:

did we not have it before that you could teleport to capital but not with cargo? what was wrong with this?

Cause if you got stuck due to some bug you would lose all your cargo