Game-Labs Forum

Copyright claim on youtube video

Hjalfnar_Feuerwolf

Hi guys! I just started a Let's Play series with UG:CV and my second episode now has a copyright claim on it. It seems you used the music piece "We attack at dawn" for the prebattle preparation screen. No problem for me, my channel is tiny. xD But others might have problems with that. Just wanted to inform you! I have no idea why he shows the complete video here, it should start at the point where the piece could be heard.

In my case, when I was I child my father got me a historical magazine with this painting as its cover. I was 8 or 9 years old and as I am from Germany it was my first contact with the history of the American Civil War. I had no idea it even happened until then. So it is somehow firmly rooted with the topic in my mind.^^

• Like 3

That Picture depicts the 1st Minnesota at Gettysburg:

At a pivotal moment in the 1863 struggle at Gettysburg, Major General Winfield Scott Hancock, commander of II Corps, ordered the First Minnesota to charge into a situation where it would be outnumbered by at least 5 to 1. The general's purpose was to buy minutes of delay with human lives, and one survivor spoke afterward that he expected the advance to result in "death or wounds to [every single one of the attackers]. The regiment fully and instantly obeyed the order, suffering at least 82% casualties among those making the attack; this action contributed significantly to the preservation of a key Union defensive position on the heights of Cemetery Ridge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1st_Minnesota_Volunteer_Infantry

• Like 1

On 2017-6-9 at 3:32 AM, Col_Kelly said:

Why does everyone picks that painting as a YT background XD

Its a portrait of the 1st Minnesota at Gettysburg. It is therefore the best portrait. This is why everyone picks it. 

Veteran 1st ftw. 

On 2017-6-9 at 1:32 PM, CSA Watkins said:

That Picture depicts the 1st Minnesota at Gettysburg:

At a pivotal moment in the 1863 struggle at Gettysburg, Major General Winfield Scott Hancock, commander of II Corps, ordered the First Minnesota to charge into a situation where it would be outnumbered by at least 5 to 1. The general's purpose was to buy minutes of delay with human lives, and one survivor spoke afterward that he expected the advance to result in "death or wounds to [every single one of the attackers]. The regiment fully and instantly obeyed the order, suffering at least 82% casualties among those making the attack; this action contributed significantly to the preservation of a key Union defensive position on the heights of Cemetery Ridge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1st_Minnesota_Volunteer_Infantry

Just to elaborate, that pivotal moment was when the Alabamian brigade of Joseph Wilcox was about to break through the Federal line on Cemetery Ridge. This was the attack essayed by Major General Anderson, following the near success of McClaw's division and the charge of Barksdale. eight companies of the 1st Minnesota, numbering approximately 268 men, were protecting an artillery battery (Biglow's?) and they were the last reserves available to Hancock until reinforcement arrived. As this attack commenced, Ambrose "Rans" Wright's brigade was cresting the Cemetery Hill, and if supported by Mahone and Posey, could have taken it. Wilcox was in turn supported by Lang's Floridian brigade. Lang's brigade began the day with 1600, though having been lightly engaged by artillery and the detached Company F, 1st Minnesota, his condition at this critical moment is hard to confirm.

Wilcox and Lang would ahve shattered that last of the II Corps, and with the II Corps unable to support the XI on Cemetery Hill, the III already disintegrated and the V exhausted defending South Cemetery Hill, the charge would likely have snapped the neck and spine of the Federal line. It is my personal opinion that this was the moment in which Robert E. Lee could have won a crippling, perhaps even fatal, victory over the United States at Gettysburg. 

There are two different accounts of what happened next. In essence, decalring "By God! Is this all we have!" it is agreed upon that Hancock rode to Colonel Colville, commanding the 1st Minnesota, and ordered him to charge the enemy colours. Of the ten companies of the regiment, F Company had been detached as skirmishers, and G Company was assigned to rearguard duty. The Veteran 1st had fought at Mannassas, Ball's Bluff's (D Company), Savage Station, Malvern Hill, and Antietam (and were present, though not heavily engaged at Fredricksburg, Second Fredricksburg, and Chancellorsville). They were one of the finest volunteer regiments of the Army of the Potomac, and were immediately aware of the desperation of such a charge.

Colville ordered a charge of bayonets, and without hesitation the men moved forward. In their descriptions of the event, the survivors of spoke the chaos of throwing themselves at the Alabamians, one veteran, Alfred Carpenter, spoke of comrades falling left and right, and of the sheer inability to even register their wounding and death, so intense and surreal was the charge itself. Carpenter wrote that men fell, and the rest kept moving, until he himself was struck in the foot. Colville too was hit, and soon after the Lt. Colonel of the regiment was severely struck as well, with command passing to Captain Messick. 

Charging through the thick smoke and losses, the Veteran 1st fell upon the Alabamians with gallant elacrity. So feroscious and courageous was the charge, that Wilcox became convinced he was fighting not a regiment, but a division, and ordered his men to withdraw. Seeing this retreat, Lang followed suit. The II Corps was saved, and with Wrigth driven back with support from Hancock's reinforcements before the arrival of Posey and Mahone, the I and III Corps assault Cemetery Ridge at last faded. "Its alright now," Meade was heard to say, "Its alright now."

The 1st Minnesota, having driven back the enemy at great loss, were now trapped beyond Federal lines. Crawling into a ravine for cover, they held their position until the coming darkness afforded them opportunity to withdraw. It was here that Colville was wounded.  

In his after action report, Hancock wrote of the painful but necessary sacrifice of the regiment, and he praised both the regiment and its commander in the highest terms. Closing his remarks on the regiment he wrote that in all the  history of battle there was, "no more gallant a deed" as the charge of the Veteran 1st that day. Their losses were, as has been mentioned previously, 82% of the eight companies engaged. Factoring in the two companies assigned to other duties, the 1st Minnesota lost 68% of its total regimental force. With 82% losses were unmatched by any Federal regiment, and unsurpassed by an Confederate regiment. They were matched, but not exceeded, by the 1st Texas, who suffered 82% losses at Antietam. These constitute the largest single action regimental loses of the American Civil War.

Sergeant Wright of Company F, recalled painfully in his memoir learning of the rumours, "The entire regiment destoryed." "It could not have quite been as bad as that," he recalled his comrades saying with anxiety, "they always over blow these things." It could not be as bad as that... 

Sergeant Patrick Henry Taylor of Company E wrote in astonishment of the charge, and in its aftermath found to his amazement that he was in command of the company. His brother, Isaac Taylor, was a 2nd Lieutenant, and above all, Patrick wondered in closing his diary entry for the day "Where is Issac?" The next day Sergeant Wright wrote in his memoir of the joy and sorrow of the men in reuniting, greeting and embracing one another, "as if oceans had been between us," and the horror of learning that it was indeed 'as bad as that.'

Patrick Taylor found his brother, torn in half by an artillery shell, "A shell struck him on the top of his head and passed out through his back, cutting his belt in two. The poor fellow did not know what happened." He and a friend buried Taylor, and placed a small board over the makeshift grave. Taylor inscribed to the marker:

No useless coffin enclosed his breast, 
Nor in sheet nor in shroud we bound him,
But he lay like a warrior taking his rest, 
With his shelter tent around him.

Also, yeah hopefully everyone can keep their videos up. 

• Like 1