Game-Labs Forum

UGCW Feedback v0.90+

4 hours ago, civsully1 said:

So AB, I appreciate your thoughts and contributions while interacting with us here on the forum. I'm sure as a tester you present solid input to the Development Team. Now I think I and AP may be more right than wrong on the Cav vs Arty issue but I respect your side of the argument too. Keep up the good work!

I appreciate the kind words. And I'm in agreement on the historical fragility of artillery against combat infantry and cavalry. Personally, it irritates me when I have a 750 man two star hussar unit not insta-kill an artillery battery as it should. But, if that happens, artillery automatically becomes worthless in this game. That is the long and short of it, I am afraid. 

• Like 1

Just so you guys know, I am editor and lector of a small free online magazine called "Der Stratege". We are all strategy and tactics fans from the biggest german forum on this topic, the Strategie-Zone. Just wanted to show you the short review I wrote. I really love this game, keep up the good work!

https://www.stratege-magazin.de/ug-cv-early-access/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hjalfnar_Feuerwolf said:

Just so you guys know, I am editor and lector of a small free online magazine called "Der Stratege". We are all strategy and tactics fans from the biggest german forum on this topic, the Strategie-Zone. Just wanted to show you the short review I wrote. I really love this game, keep up the good work!

https://www.stratege-magazin.de/ug-cv-early-access/

I guess I have a reason now to learn German! :)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, civsully1 said:

I guess I have a reason now to learn German! :)

Good luck with that, the Germans have a phrase to indicate how difficult to learn their language " Deutsche sprache, schweresprache" which means German language, difficult language. I being living here for a long time, and I have more bad days talking than I do good days.

1 minute ago, Hjalfnar_Feuerwolf said:

There is always a reason to learn German! ;)  *caution, sarcasm* Aller guten Dinge sind drei, third time's a charm, as we like to say.:P

And one more thing, your language ALWAYS get better with the more beers you drink, and boy do they have some excellent beers! Prost!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Hjalfnar_Feuerwolf said:

Iam more a traditionalist and prefer the original national drink: mead. XD Yeah, ok. Might be we forgot about it 1500 years ago. :lol:

All civilization is based on beer. Hunter/Gatherers moved to farming to keep up stocks of fine hops and roasted barley - or whatever grain they had to work with at the time. 

WISE CHOICE!

• Like 1

Chancellorsville has to be fixed. I capture all victory points on the second second day and I still have to fight the 3rd day????? That makes no sense at all. 

The game even says you could counter now, but it might be risky. Advance with caution. It should say wait until the very last phase of the battle to do anything

Edited by Major Grigg
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Major Grigg said:

Chancellorsville has to be fixed. I capture all victory points on the second second day and I still have to fight the 3rd day????? That makes no sense at all. 

The game even says you could counter now, but it might be risky. Advance with caution. It should say wait until the very last phase of the battle to do anything

Agree with this and also think in general that if your remaining forces outnumber the enemy 5 or 10 to 1 you should basically be done if you want.  While it's fun to march a huge wave over remenants it doesn't really add a lot to things.  Have experienced this as the Union on Shilo, Chancellorsville and Gettysburg (where you always have the opt out to be fair).

Chancellorsvile can be particularly frustrating as I felt like I captured the same points multiple times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Major Grigg said:

Strange. I captured all the victory points on the 2nd day on Chancelloresville. I thought that frankly it's stones river that has to be fixed. I captured all the points on the first and still had to retake the bloody junction.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Major Grigg said:

Some of these battles come with the caveat that you must take the victory points and hold them for a period of time. Five minutes or something like that in real time, an hour in game time ... If perhaps you didn't seize the last V.P. and still had time on the clock it may not have been enough to count as a fully captured point.

Edited by A. P. Hill
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, vren55 said:

Strange. I captured all the victory points on the 2nd day on Chancelloresville. I thought that frankly it's stones river that has to be fixed. I captured all the points on the first and still had to retake the bloody junction.

I think we will just have to live with the idea of retaking back objectives one holds at the end of one day and teleported off the next. I'm beginning to think that there's a disconnect somewhere between fighting a campaign versus fighting a single historical battle. Just feels like the campaign play is being confined to the specific historical OOB's at the expense of what happened previously in one's own campaign play.  You achieve a VP hold it and then next day you're forced to retake that ground again in multi-day battles.

Makes me think of that part in Gettysburg where General Buford's writing the letter to Reynold's family, looks up and says, "Well General Reynolds" we held the high ground." Then next day Buford and the rest are "teleported" off that ground to fight it again!!! I can only imagine what his line would be when that scene played???

Well probably not expressing my thoughts about this very clearly. I think it's time to drink. I've been inspired by the posts above.. Ein großes Bier, bitte! Uhmm better make that two!

• Like 1

On 29/6/2017 at 2:44 AM, civsully1 said:

Nice post Nano! I really like item #1. This would be great but I fear the coding to do so might probe to be a challenge. But if doable it would be something! !

Thanks for apreciate my post. I really like option to post my suggestions and that someone can read it. 

11 minutes ago, jamieva said:

brigades that are out of ammo at the end of fighting on a day, and the battle goes to the next day, should not be out of ammo at the start of that next day.

well to replicate real life, depending on the battle, the enemy army may be down to its last few wagons.  Maybe this is trying to reflect that

6 hours ago, jamieva said:

brigades that are out of ammo at the end of fighting on a day, and the battle goes to the next day, should not be out of ammo at the start of that next day.

Agree......The start of the second day,, all should be fully armed/resupplied...I seen this^ n it is a wonder why also.....perhaps it is tied to our supply reserves(Cost in Camp?)......

As you know......Units were resupplied when in a heavy battle, reinforced / Ammo, if at all possible.

There was many times during Fighting a battle that a unit would run low/out(20th Maine. LRT).. Ammo wagons were in hot demand at all times when the lead started flying. Some units were hard to resupply(location on Field.)

But during the night, all units should be reinforced / moved /realigned, n *rearmed/resupplied for the next days continuation of hostilities...imho....

Ammo.thumb.jpg.a9fb715df1e1cd86890961540e9c6a34.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CSA Watkins said:

Agree......The start of the second day,, all should be fully armed/resupplied...I seen this^ n it is a wonder why also.....perhaps it is tied to our supply reserves(Cost in Camp?)......

As you know......Units were resupplied when in a heavy battle, reinforced / Ammo, if at all possible.

There was many times during Fighting a battle that a unit would run low/out(20th Maine. LRT).. Ammo wagons were in hot demand at all times when the lead started flying. Some units were hard to resupply(location on Field.)

But during the night, all units should be reinforced / moved /realigned, n *rearmed/resupplied for the next days continuation of hostilities...imho....

Agree in full. 

And, allow reserve officers to replace officers WIA/KIA during the previous day. 

• Like 3

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 2:50 AM, Andre Bolkonsky said:

... And I'm in agreement on the historical fragility of artillery against combat infantry and cavalry. Personally, it irritates me when I have a 750 man two star hussar unit not insta-kill an artillery battery as it should. But, if that happens, artillery automatically becomes worthless in this game. That is the long and short of it, I am afraid. 

I respectfully disagree.  Just because Artillery can be, OR should be, dissolved by an attack of overwhelming force doesn't automatically discount its value in game.

If "you" (plural not singular,) as a player continue to use invalid, or should I say outdated, techniques involving artillery then, yeah, maybe it becomes worthless to you.  Granted smoothbore artillery could be put on the line with the infantry, but rifled artillery is always best used from a distance and out of range of immediate attack from infantry or cavalry.

If you want to employ your artillery in a manner that is unsafe for it, then by all means you deserve to lose it, and rather quickly too. Unsafe in this case is using European Napoleonic style of advancing your guns in front of your infantry without proper support. In no instance should you ever advance your guns in front of your line

Artillery will never be useless, it can and often does deal more damage than infantry fire alone, of course this goes without saying.

Management of your artillery because of its fragility is key.

• Like 1

I agree with A.P Hill, if I may..... AI will hunt n destroy a Players Batteries pretty Damn Quick..++ This is One of the things I like about the game. I have learnt that any Unprotected Artillery, given the chance the AI will Lay waste to the Batteries.Plus Getting my Batteries shot to pieces when moving them to darn to close to deliver that dbl canisters... ..:blink:

Once I see a Cavalry unit, but usually a AI skirms unit, about to attack my Batteries, I know I'm screwed n will lose my Artillery Batteries or part of. Than I Blame myself for letting my Battlefield Mgmt slide/slip with leaving units vulnerable. Proper Battlefield Management/Supporting is critical, or pay the price.

*Now with the AI batteries being vulnerably / unsupported,that would be a tight rope to walk. Balance should skewed to the AI's advantage slightly, imo...Whereas a Player attacking a Battery, this should have to take longer to kill/destroy. This would help n give the effect that the AI has support but not seen? If that Makes sense. It would be nice to have AI cavalry/Inf. unit always close by the AI batteries/attached for protection?

Just my $.02.............

19 hours ago, CSA Watkins said:

Certainly if not fully at least 50% might be more realistic?? I really like the idea stated above about selectively resupplying units so the supply wagon gets to the one/s in most need. Though I think the coding of that might be tough to accomplish.

• Like 1