Game-Labs Forum

OVER 400!!!

Christendom

32 minutes ago, The Red Duke said:

You can tutor them. Any of the players can tutor them. If one player doesn't know the exact correct answer there will be another that knows it.

Alas we were tutored by those that were here before us, mostly in combat.

Newcomers will learn as long as they don't get continuously trolled, misled or pointed wrongdoing.

Valid for Global as much as for EU and PVE servers.

I kinda get what you're saying, but frankly if a new player can't immediately pick up this game and figure out the the general basics to get going...something is wrong.  Naval Action should be easy to learn, but difficult to master.  And to master it, the community is there for help.  If you rely on the the community to teach new players the basic ins and outs of your game, you'll end up with one that has sold over 100k copies and only has 2000 active users a year later.  Only 2% of the people who purchased this game seem to still be playing it.  Not good.  

I mean lets look at the cannon purchasing thing.  2 weeks after the patch has come out and we still get daily questions in nation or global asking why they can't equip just 1.  And this is from players who aren't new.  The game simply just is not friendly to inexperienced people and unfortunately the population numbers reflect that.

Anyway I don't revel in the bad reviews, but I do understand them.  

• Like 1

I'm happy to see both servers doing well.

EU: huge numbers during peak time.

Global: growing steady numbers all day long.

Take your pick.  If I played during EU times, I would play there.   But, I'm part of the other 75% of earth so Global is home.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Christendom said:

2 weeks after the patch has come out and we still get daily questions in nation or global asking why they can't equip just 1.

This is more an example of returning veterans being confused by the changes.

As a new player, I would think seeing "0/24" implies you need to buy 24 cannons. I actually remember a year ago people buying 10 cannons for their Mercury, not realizing they only needed 1! It's actually less confusing now, imo.

But I do agree in general that the game lacks tool-tips and other little UI features that should help new players (and returning veterans) understand the game. Something like Rimworld's context-driven automatic help popups would be great. But I suspect that's a lot of work and the devs are going to wait for the rules to actually settle more before putting in that kind of time.

14 hours ago, Christendom said:

Recruitment efforts from EU oppression are working.  Keep it up boys!

34cb0c03dcf9fed1900a302371a4002e.png

I think that's happening because of some toxicity and exploiting on EU server. Congrats

• Like 1

There were a bunch of port battles yesterday that seem to have spiked the population. 

I've been playing hardcore the last couple weeks trying to build my character, but I need to get my game hours under control very soon.  I imagine the same will be true for a number of other players, so hours per player may taper off soon.  I hope we pick up new blood to fill in those gaps.  I do see new names sailing in my area every day or two.

18 hours ago, Aventador said:

@admin this is obvious shitposting and just proves Christendom's point.

Right... cause the very OP isn't shitposting about the EU server? - funny thing is.. ppl seldom understand or care why others doesn't like them.. For all the effort Christendom spends talking smack about the EU server it's just insignificant noice to me.. But don't cry about shitposting, that's just a juvenile assertion of a pro-global standpoint that no one else cares about.

14 hours ago, Cabral said:

I think that's happening because of some toxicity and exploiting on EU server. Congrats

Yeah.. I wonder who took part in the cheating...

17 hours ago, Christendom said:

There is a difference between a game that keeps you coming back and one you'd recommend to a new player who hasn't played 1 min of NA.  Reviews are for these type of people.  In its current iteration I don't think this game is recommendable to new players and it seems the majority of recent reviews feel the same.

I keep playing NA because despite how difficult the recent patch has made certain aspects of the game I've been able to get past them due to being a veteran.  A new player will not have this opportunity.  

The game is not easy to learn.  It does not have an intuitive UI that can instruct new players and unfortunately zero tutorials.  Dev choices seem to inexplicably be steering NA into being even more of an inaccessible game. 

I see. I've thought about your post. Those are valid points. Some teammates of mine in TS were discussing a potentially devastating problem with there being no tutorial for boarding, and no real way to train people how to board if we took it upon ourselves to 'tutor'.

Boarding is a potential game-breaker, being probably the quickest way to lose a ship, second only to being run over by a first rate. I do feel bad for folks who will just be getting into a brig and be boarded by more experienced players and have it end in one or two rounds.

If we aren't going to have proper tutorials, I'd definitely recommend a 'training room' where no risk/no rewards are given, so we can take the new guys and show them advanced things like manual sails or how boarding works. They probably don't even know you can board a ship.

Right now we're basically reduced to murdering the crap out of every AI in a fleet mission, dismasting it to hell and back, de-crewing it a bit . . . ok now it's safe, sail back here new guy and we'll show you how this works.

I do feel pretty good today though. Had a guy who found a the game too tough, wanted to quit, offered me his PVE marks. I told him to keep his marks, I'd rather he kept playing the game. He didn't take us up on the offer to join TS. (one thing I recommend to anyone is to not play this game alone, that should probably tutorial lesson 1)

Coming back into port, he says in nation chat that he just lost his second trader ship. So we grabbed our freebie indys and ran out and did a few easy fleet missions with him following in the basic cutter. I guess it was enough to inspire him but yeah, there's not much of an initial 'welcome to the game' unless the community takes it upon themselves to teach. And folks like us can't be everywhere, all the time, to save those on the verge of quitting.

NEED TUTORIALS.

---------

Still think you could tone down the gloating(?) over PVP 1/PVP 2 global or hello kitty the servers are called now, taking players from one another, because this doesn't seem to be the situation.

PVP EU hit a record pop  (since wipe) on a weekday. Either Lord Vic hit the lotto and bought every copy on steam, or we're growing too. Still got a ways to go before we're all frustratingly sitting in a join-sever queue again.

It's a fair question as to how long the trend goes on, but if both server pops are growing, GOOD. Maybe I'll come over to PVP Global and buy you guys a drink to celebrate. Won't be there long though, because USA is competing with France for smallest EU server faction right now and I don't want to leave the other two US players by themselves for too long. The house will be a mess when I get back.

Edited by ajffighter86
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Slamz said:

Yes, they are going to have problems when people join the EU server and don't realize what that actually means: no port battles in their time zone, ever.

PB time restrictions should be listed in the server selection screen (adjusted to the user's local time).

Should not be hard to do!

The same argument can be made for ppl joining the global server only to find that all ports are being flipped in the off hours as no one apparently wants opposition..

23 hours ago, Jeheil said:

Let em both grow, pray for the day we are complaining about too many players and need another server.

Or they have to open another ocean. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/6/2017 at 4:43 AM, troody said:

cause ur hello kittyed up on EU u are constantly trying to blame EU Players now? every day u open up a totally useless topic with the same content: move to global, eu is bad. come to global french, they sucked in eu. eu players are evil, global ppl are so kind and nice blablablablabla....

just do us a favor and rethink ur daily behaviour (but iam sure ur not able to do that....)

That's because he is trying to get as man GB players as possible. If they can do that then they will steam roll the US and create server downfall. TF and VCO are not powerful enough to take on NPG, so they had to drag a lot of other GB clans into it so they can get their precious marks. They don't really give a shot about the server at all.

• Like 1

Christendom, you are a victim of the Dunning-Kruger effect, set yourself straight.  I hope you are a really good troll, else I feel sorry for you.

The statements you make reflects your gigantic ego. You say the community is not there to help newbs, really.... Nobody ever helped you? Everyone on EU is "bad hombres" and we bully everyone out? Really? US forced the server split, mainly your clan, US bullied every EU RvR clan out of the EU server, doing nightflips, making the game unplayable. Uniting with the british, your only opponent if truth be told, due to your play time. The community is as important as the game. The little secrets are in all games, WoW, EVE Online, Travian - every game has aspects which needs to be learned from other players. Some of my friends bought the game cause they thought it looked cool. I tutored them in the beginning, gave them ships and helped them understand the different aspects of the game. It is not hard to fire cannons at ships. Its hard to aim-mast and win the wind, confuse and outplay your opponents. When you expect everyone to understand and being able to comprehend what you have learned through many many hours of game time, then you are well.. Arrogant and ignorant. 

I know for a fact, that you and the rest of TF and VCO changed nation to GB on global server - mainly because you lost a few port battles, saying everyone in US nation were noobs. Now you declared war against your former nation in another thread.. Ppl should read this:

I have a suggestion: Make a server dedicated for you Christendom, let these hello kittyed up shenanigans end here.. I feel sorry for you.. I really do.

Edited by Hammerhaj
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Hammerhaj said:

Christendom, you are a victim of the Dunning-Kruger effect, set yourself straight.  I hope you are a really good troll, else I feel sorry for you.

The statements you make reflects your gigantic ego. You say the community is not there to help newbs, really.... Nobody ever helped you? Everyone on EU is "bad hombres" and we bully everyone out? Really? US forced the server split, mainly your clan, US bullied every EU RvR clan out of the EU server, doing nightflips, making the game unplayable. Uniting with the british, your only opponent if truth be told, due to your play time. The community is as important as the game. The little secrets are in all games, WoW, EVE Online, Travian - every game has aspects which needs to be learned from other players. Some of my friends bought the game cause they thought it looked cool. I tutored them in the beginning, gave them ships and helped them understand the different aspects of the game. It is not hard to fire cannons at ships. Its hard to aim-mast and win the wind, confuse and outplay your opponents. When you expect everyone to understand and being able to comprehend what you have learned through many many hours of game time, then you are well.. Arrogant and ignorant. 

I know for a fact, that you and the rest of TF and VCO changed nation to GB on global server - mainly because you lost a few port battles, saying everyone in US nation were noobs. Now you declared war against your former nation in another thread.. Ppl should read this:

I have a suggestion: Make a server dedicated for you Christendom, let these hello kittyed up shenanigans end here.. I feel sorry for you.. I really do.

Actually the GB move wasn't my idea, but I'm adaptable.  I see you're still salty.  So sad. It's  time to let it go bud.  You guys got us booted off so you can have a server full of port swapping and empty battles in your prime time.  You win.  

Now go back over to bad hombre server and leave us be on global.  I know you're bored, but we've got actual port battles to fight.

Thx chief   

Edited by Christendom
  • Like 2

On 2017-6-30 at 7:23 AM, Hammerhaj said:

Hmmmm.. so the thing is when you're about to go into a PB and a random clan sits in your TS muted and seperate to the main fleet in OW, in ships not recommended for the PB, then joins the the PB (that they grinded) then we lose due to inferior ships and poor command (keep in mind 99% remained muted during the PB) only to unmute during the debrief and blame it soley on the PB commander and when questioned about the inferior (store bought) ships to say "I grinded the hostility who are you to tell me I can't RvR because I have the wrong ship"  and then leave TS. Oh and not to mention the PB Commander who was bad, when criticised in the debrief leaves the TS immediately. I mean those sorts of divisions within a nation are untenable. With an organised clan like BLACK at your front door and those divisions in a nation, it wasn't a workable problem. That's truely why we left believe it or not. (Oh and to play with our old GB friends also) 

Edited by saintjacktar

On 6/29/2017 at 5:23 PM, Hammerhaj said:

Wow you really have a crush on Christendom.  Even though he didnt lead the port battles, or the charge to leave the US, you want to blame him.  Hmm... Talk about some one talking out of their 5th point of contact.  

Perhaps you should take a step back and look at what you are saying.  You are blaming one man for all of the problems, between 2 nations and three clans.  Next thing you will be accusing him of being a BLACK clan alt. 

3 minutes ago, Hodo said:

Wow you really have a crush on Christendom.  Even though he didnt lead the port battles, or the charge to leave the US, you want to blame him.  Hmm... Talk about some one talking out of their 5th point of contact.  

Perhaps you should take a step back and look at what you are saying.  You are blaming one man for all of the problems, between 2 nations and three clans.  Next thing you will be accusing him of being a BLACK clan alt. 

all those EU danes and swedes are just salty still from the night flips and that getting us booted off the snow flake server.  Now that we're gone they managed to create a port flipping/empty PB hot zone.  Congrats.  

We might have 1/3 of the population, but we're having real battles on global and it's glorious.     

Just now, Christendom said:

all those EU danes and swedes are just salty still from the night flips and that getting us booted off the snow flake server.  Now that we're gone they managed to create a port flipping/empty PB hot zone.  Congrats.  

We might have 1/3 of the population, but we're having real battles on global and it's glorious.     

I honestly am having WAY more fun than I ever had over on the EU server... people actually fight here.  Even the bad ones. 

• Like 1