Game-Labs Forum

Art style

Would love to hear your opinions

Which art direction you like more for Naval Action?

Vivid, great colors, but serious and atmospheric. Vivid colors are contrasted with death and serious war, making the image unique.

vhtsM2F.jpg

Desaturated, realistic, looking like a war footage. 

H3RM0tB.jpg

• Like 1

Definitely something like in the first picture (great choice by the way, I love that movie). Ships were colourful - at least till the end of the 18th century - and only vivid colours would do them justice. Your sentence "Vivid colors are contrasted with death and serious war" sums it up quite nicely what sailing ships were about in my opinion: elegant, richly decorated machines of war which could fire a ton of iron with a single, devastating broadside.

And one last thought, dunno if you´ve ever been at sea on a ship, but everything seems more colourful due to the reflective nature of the water, so a desaturated colour filter would be a move in the wrong direction.

• Like 1

Would love to hear your opinions

Which art direction you like more for Naval Action?

Vivid, great colors, but serious and atmospheric. Vivid colors are contrasted with death and serious war, making the image unique.

vhtsM2F.jpg

Desaturated, realistic, looking like a war footage. 

H3RM0tB.jpg

Hi I'm going to give you my 2 cents based on my own life.

I have done my share of boating child  and adult also served in the marines for 4 years. I spent 6 months on a gator freighter ship (LHA). Which was a helicopter carrier out on the south pacific. Currently my brother and another guy go sailing. Now with this said I will say this. Some of the nicest visuals or views I have ever seen were while at sea. The south pacific on a good day were truly stunning even on a drab LHA. Same with the northwest, its stuning to be out on the water in good weather. No reason to drab it down for war effects. The colors on the clouds during sun set were amazing. But on cloudy days everything seems grey, sort of gloomy drab. More so then you would see on land, due to cloud and water reflection. The water turns grey because of cloud reflection, kind of like that band of brother picture. If you want to do it right, I would say base it on weather conditions, location in the world and time of day. Not a global effect.

If I had to chose I would say realistic, but not too Desaturated.

Edit:

Those 2 movies are based off of land combat and may not be the best examples. Water and cloud reflection is huge if you want to get the oceanic look. Is there a way we can see images from the game with these atmospheric or de-saturated applied? To compare?

I'm thinking more of theater-based coloring. If the game is going to be set in the Caribbean, vivid with great colors, turquoise water, etc. Will give that warm feeling about it.

:)

If it's to be set in Europe, with the Atlantic and/or the Baltic as playground, I'd like something more desaturated, colder, representing the harsh nature of those waters.

I agree with CJFlint and would rather there wasn't a global desaturated effect.  The colours used in Band of Brothers were meant to emulate old/faded colour footage from the 1940s and aren't really appropriate here.  Make it an option though by all means.

That's a good idea, to make certain effects optional.

You know, I can see ocean visuals might more challenging to recreate in a game, just because all the variables. It it can be done though. I was a Silent Hunter player for a few years. Silent Hunter 4, was one game that got it right with a few mods. Trigger Maru mod and ocean foam, made it pretty stunning. 

I think allot of it has to do with light creating water reflection, and how things react to it.