Game-Labs Forum
Jameson BH

MAKE NAVAL ACTION FUN AGAIN - MNAFA

it begins today.

Are you tired of the game you bought and paid for no longer being FUN to play, why is it not fun you might say;

a. massive timesink - the only people that will sail big ships and be able to afford repairs etc will be those in large clans who bypass most of the problems through volume, the solo casual player has no options except to buy multiple accounts if he/she wants to sail anything bigger than a belle poule.

b. Grind,grind and more grind - the game know has grind in its very lifeblood, driving players away, forcing players to grind the same content over and over again until all joy is sucked out of the OW -the dementor syndrome (HP Fans)

c. Voice not being listened to - When did you last feel a change was made to the game that made it better, gave you better quality of life in game than before and was not shouted down by the hardcore pvp realism armchair admirals.

d. Choices should be optional - If I want teleport - option on/off, if I want navigation grid and position - option on/off, if I want deliveries - option on/off. If some armchair admiral wants to play the game sitting in his rocking chair outside with the fan blowing full in his face and his neighbour spraying him with a garden hose while he pukes in a bucket to simulate "realism" - no there should not be an option for this but he can go right ahead and do it but stop letting his quest for realism ruin my game.

e. Make things easier for new players - Please realize without an influx of new players this game dies, it becomes stale, it loses new ideas and inputs and becomes a fanboi product with people who ram their version of this is how it should be played down everyones throat.

f. Fix the economy - Econ does not work, either fix it for the small playerbase that plays this game or return it to where it was when npcs sold stuff,

g. Devs stop listening to just the hardcore, realism fanbois - you have an entire different type customer out here that you pretty much ignore, and all he wants is a game he can play casually and have some fun.

h. The game will lose all these hardcore pvp monkeys to Arena mode, please ignore everything they say about developing this game - wake up and smell the coffee, these guys need to be preening their plumage and leeting it up all the time you really think they will stay fully active on OW where it will take an hour to get a fight when they can be demonstrating how leet they are in Arena mode every 20 mins and will probably have some sort of leet pvp leaderboard so they can show pics to their friends and family.

There are many more reasons for MNAFA but I will begin it with the reasons outlined above. Start to insist that the devs MNAFA from today, reclaim the game from the crazies and lets get the game we want, a fun, engaging, age of sail mmo not the mess that it has become. 

Add MNAFA to your post, +1 this thread, like this post, lets see where this goes. Maybe just maybe there are enough who feel annoyed like me to begin something if not then at least i tried.

But remember, they "never promised that this game would be fun."

I agree with each and every point you've made.

Edited by Flakbait

I agree only with E, the rest is bullshit bro

14 minutes ago, Jameson BH said:

g. Devs stop listening to just the hardcore, realism fanbois - you have an entire different type customer out here that you pretty much ignore, and all he wants is a game he can play casually and have some fun.

They made most changes because of a 1 year old review video

On 11.4.2017 at 0:22 PM, admin said:

There are people with different view on the subject 

Over time we came to appreciate the comments mentioned in that video. To give players targets you have to be a target too. Building a first rate will take a month or more and will require national level of effort. etc etc. EA is coming to the end and the game is getting in shape.

Upon considering this post, I would like to suggest a solution. You see, what the OP is suggesting is a lot of what many on the PVE server would like to see. Considering the fact that the decision was made to keep the PVE server, tied to the fact that most hardcore players are PVP'ers, why not implement many of the more casual friendly suggestions above to the PVE server only?

I know it's hard for the devs to understand, but many casual players don't want the whole lobby deal. Many enjoy the trading, crafting, mission side of the OW, but would like a little bit less of a time sink. Pretty much all of the OPs suggestions would be great for many PVE players.

Meantime, the hardcore PVP fanbase can while away the hours desperately scraping the gold together for their next gank ship.

Everybody would benefit from this, and thus you would be opening up the game to a wider prospective market, rather than driving anyone away.

Dutch on Global are having fun, we work as a team, we are smaller than some nations, but hopefully that changes. If you want to try out a nation other than the main ones, try us Dutch, youll find that the grind feels way more fun than anything, we sail and die together as a nation.

LOL this post show just how fun haven't the same definition for players...... All your suggestions are points i totaly dislike and make NA NOT fun for me :) 

a - With onlys 1 or 2 play session in cutter, a noob will have something like 140k, and learn all about combat basics. If the noob read or watch some YT vids, or ask in chat, he'll know how trade, and all is fine.
+ Nothing stop a noob to ask for a team/clan, it make life a way more easy in any mmo...
A friend just buy NA some days ago, he join our clan, and during his first battle in cutter he sunk 3 ships... Now, he sail a mercury by his own, and have a trader snow. All this without any help form us... Well, no, NA isn't too difficult for noob, it just ask some skill and a functional brain.

b - If you can't play a game asking 3h in order to do something, why buying it ? Just play games fit to your playtime.

c - No comments lol, when proposals are good, you'll be listened.

d - NA isn't a teleportation simulation but a sail open world, try Portal 2, you should be happy.

e - There isn't infinite way to sail a ship, newcomers have a free cutter and if someone don't succes to win lvl1 mission after 2 play sessions, he must ask himself, not blame the game.

f - Can't tell about it... i easly make 40k to 500k a day with a trader brig and trade, I can't talk about ressources because nobody use it to make trade in our guilde, all our production stay inside the guilde. 

g - LOL

h - No, hardocre love OW, only PvP only players will may be spend time in Legende, but nothing will provide the same feeling than the PW PvP and the RvR.

Well like every days since NA launch, 2 visions fight, and at the end, only the Devs vision will win :) 

Edited by charognard666

45 minutes ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

I agree only with E, the rest is bullshit bro

They made most changes because of a 1 year old review video

no.

but we stopped listening to players who want to turn NA into Clicker Heroes (a very successful game by the way).

NA is a game allowing you to experience age of sail. With all its beauty of rare combat and loneliness of the sea. Don't like it? Stay on land in the tavern, playing clicker heroes (which is an awesome game for its audience). 

My assessment of your criticism differs in all points, with the notable exception of f.. Which is not to say that i think you're wrong in fact, merely that I evaluate those facts differently.

This is driven by the following views:

I see the creation of the 'Arena' (or whatever it will be called) as a good thing. First because it will allow me to jump into a casual battle every now and again. And I would think the same thing to be true for potential players out there leaning towards the casual. And second, because it may give the "leet PvPers" you characterised so aptly a vent or a way out. I'd rather get my face kicked in by them in the Arena, than lose assets to their mast-sniping in the OW, which I have spent time and effort on to grind up.

As for the timesink: I agree, the OW game is time-intensive, both in terms of overall playing time required, and time-per-session. However, I don't see how to get around that in a game that, at the end of the day, seeks to evoke the Age of Sail. Steaming across the map in an hour would break immersion for me. Admittedly, I use the sailing time to paint up tabletop gaming ship models on the side, so it doesn't hurt me that much. :P

The grind. This is purely a matter of taste, but I still enjoy it, at least for the moment. Cuttering around, or running 7th level fleet orders with the clan mates is fun for me. But I can see how people can be turned off.

A usual, just my two pennies' worth.

7 minutes ago, admin said:

no.

but we stopped listening to players who want to turn NA into Clicker Heroes (a very successful game by the way).

NA is a game allowing you to experience age of sail. With all its beauty of rare combat and loneliness of the sea. Don't like it? Stay on land in the tavern, playing clicker heroes (which is an awesome game for its audience). 

Never stop listening to anyone, if you wish to succeed, sir. If you cease to listen to those whose vision differs from yours, yet we are ALL different and all have different visions, then you will end up hearing none but yourself.

Considering the opinions of those who comprise a large part of your player base would be wise. Making your game as appealing as possible to as many as possible may even garner you the kind of success your excellent game so richly deserves, but which currently evades you.

I suggest you consider your future prospects carefully, lest a great game go to waste on but a few hundred people.

Warning received from admin for spam, so better that you dont comment on this topic, my comments all moderated now so probably will not see this post. Anyway to those of you that take the time out to comment ty whatever your viewpoint. Im done with this game, when the admins reply is this 

14 minutes ago, admin said:

no.

to people with serious concerns about the direction the game takes then I can see we are flogging a dead horse. Refunds should be issued to players that feel they have been lied to but I doubt very much that will happen. I wish you all well, enjoy the game whatever style you like, and admin learn to treat your paying customer with some respect whatever their opinions, it might serve you well in the future when you are looking to flog your next big money grab on gamers. 

MNAFA or in my case refund my monies.

When you are a new player, you start from Basic Cutter.  You do not know anything about the game.  You grind your way from Basic Cutter to 1st rate.  You anyway have to do that grind.  Ship Knowledge is not that big thing for them.  For us, who get their XP from redeemable, well we kinda lost the benefit here -> So it sucks to grind.

Once you have done your grind to 5th rate.  At this point I think we should pretty easily get back to for example to Cerberus.  None wants to be back in Basic Cutter, ever again.

Economy grind is a bit too heavy.  For example repair kits and admiralty stuff is a bit expensive.  Over all ship prices were supposed to go down as well, as we have now one durability ships.  Is this so?

I do not like teleportation.  I know it is nice to teleport to area of action, but there is simply more action if people are forced to actually sail in OW.  Someone says that there is an enemy at location X, you curse that you cannot teleport there and have fun.  You still forget that the enemy would not be there in the first place if they could just teleport.

If you are super scared to sail your trader and you only want to be in port battles.  Or you are a carebear that needs a fleet of 25x 1st rate to be brave enough to exit a port.  Only cases when I would ask teleportation.

Game has to be slightly grindy, so that we have to sail traders.  Or we could have AI trader, but that trader must sail with your goods that trip.  It has to be possible for others to capture your goods.

But to be honest, we need an easy access to PvP.  I am a bit afraid that making everything a bit more expensive does not increase PvP.  People were already like extremely super scared to join a battle if they did not have 5xBR.  Death penalty is way too big to have fun for most.

I mostly agree with Worth A Buy.  I recommend to wait Naval Action Legends.

Edited by Cmdr RideZ

1 hour ago, Jameson BH said:

The game will lose all these hardcore pvp monkeys to Arena mode

Also such phrases really show your feedback value to others. 

1 hour ago, Jameson BH said:

a. This is a problem of expectations, not game design. Just as I didnt play EVE expecting to sail a Titan or Dreadnaught - hell, a crapton of other ships as well -  as a solo casual player, I may be wrong to expect to sail a SOL as a solo casual player.

b. Fair enough, it is a bit grindy at times, though I wouldn't say it is more so than it was pre-patch.

c. Since they're making the arena-game is seems strange to cater to that crowd in both games (unless you're all about getting that moolah from appealing to the lowest common denominator).

d. No. Hell no. If this was a singleplayer game, sure, but to force people to gimp themselves because people want magical teleports and GPS systems is ridiculous. We've already tested what happened when having both of those, and it sucked.

e. Sure, some more helping hands for the rookies could be nice to get them going.

f. It's been, what, 1 week?

g. ~.~

h. The arena mode is intended to appeal to the casual player, so now you're bothered by how it's made for "hardcore PvP monkeys"?

Edited by Aegir

10 minutes ago, Jameson BH said:

to people with serious concerns about the direction the game takes then I can see we are flogging a dead horse. Refunds should be issued to players that feel they have been lied to but I doubt very much that will happen. I wish you all well, enjoy the game whatever style you like, and admin learn to treat your paying customer with some respect whatever their opinions, it might serve you well in the future when you are looking to flog your next big money grab on gamers. 

Again captain - you just called half of this forum audience monkeys. And then you demand some respect? 

1 minute ago, admin said:

Also such phrases really show your feedback value to others. 

Did the bad man upset your likkle monkey brain admin.

2 minutes ago, Jameson BH said:

Did the bad man upset your likkle monkey brain admin.

Cant type, can't talk, can't give useless feedback, can't respect others, can't use steam refund function. 
This captain is useless here.
Banned.

I can only agree to point e) here. For new players, even when their was a "new player zone", their was no introduction into this wonderfull game.
It would be wise if those players get a "basic" tutorial, like how to sail, how to aim etc pp. (only the basics - to learn to turn with the sails should, as example, be learned by experience). Still, most questions like: "How do i have to use the cannon lock" should be introduced via a tutorial at the beginning. This can be pretty irritating and it shoudn't use lots of effords to get this done. The port menu and the interface should also be explained when you start the game first. Our constantly overlay in the port is not nice, it's pretty basic and boring. Furthermore it can be pretty confusing.

The whole rest is something every player has to see on their own.

PS: To h) NO! Those "hardcore PVP players" are mainly sailing OW - The arena may look like PVP, but its only a half told story there. The hardcore players you are speaking about are hunters looking for their prey on the OW. Those in the arena mostly do not count as "hardcore".

I was not realy crying tears of joy the first hours I played after the wipe, but after a while you start to see why its as grindy as it is.

The fact that many items in the game are hard to obtain are frustrating but are at the same time a constant point to work towards, you can't start playing on monday and have a vic on sunday. Its just way more interesting for the game on the longer run.

Its just the start that is frustrating for most of us, cause we need to be grinding missions again to get our basic "set up" ready, outposts, production buidings and a couple of war ships. But once most/all of us got that sorted I expect this patch to realy shine. If you sink someone's ship, you know he will have fought for it till the very end. Not just insta surrender, lose a dura and move on. Especialy if its a 4th rate or up, he'll be hurting.

There'll allways be that select group who will have everything they could ever think off, but this group will be allot smaller then it used to be.

If the devs tweak the PvE grinding a bit, so its less boring it would make the grinding less frustrating.

Its frustrating for now, but it'll shine in the long run.
If they do the release wipe they should give us a bit of gold and maybe an equiped navy brig and surprise. So we'll save those frustrating first hours grinding basic cutter missions.

I agree with the OP, the game isn't fun anymore...

And clicker heroes is a much better game than NA right now, just because clicker heroes work as intended. Maybe someone should ask clicker heroes devs how they did this?