Game-Labs Forum

Privateers and gentlemen

Corporal Bridge

For all my navel classic ship the lovers out there one of its both an RPG and wargame back in the 80s.  The privateer  reminded me of Sid Meier pirates! But for the naval officer side is pretty much a career simulator starting off as a lieutenant  even letting you play as midshipman's all the way up to flag officer.  And they have a very interesting system of awards responsibilities it a rpg!!  Outside of the naval combat it's pretty much a career simulator!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I played many many hours of that Sid Meire's Pirates back when it came out late 80's and I don't think any game could compete at that time, it was awesome.  It's been 30 years and I can still remember some of the sounds in that game, incredible.

Edited by Jean Ribault

It's a board game my good gentlemen particularly a pen and paper RPG. It's a closest thing I've ever seen to a royal Navy careers sim. And FYI I do love Pirates!! 

What Pirates did well was getting that swashbuckling feel down! 

Privateer and gentlemen, we're really good at stimulating the career and social aspects of being officer in the King's Navy. 

But there's room for improvement for example to give you a listing of not just Naval ranks and responsibilities but different positions you can hold on this ship or on land.

Edited by Corporal Bridge

Will look for it. The name is not totally unknown and I am sure I did come across it somewhere it time bu if it didn't stick to my pnp memories maybe there was something in the system that made it unmemorable. Complexity and functionality is a hard bargain to strike :)

Did adapt WHFRPG 1st ed. to a age of sail motif many moons ago with good success for a entire season.