Game-Labs Forum
SneakyTurtle

Big Patch #10: Map / Coordinates Feedback [Heavily Moderated]

1 minute ago, SneakyTurtle said:

No coordinates in the game Sucks....only on F11 do I see a position.

good ideea! but the grid is out to.

Edited by AxIslander

9 minutes ago, NavalActionPlayer said:

I hope so!!!!!!

Yay, they listened! #Does a little jig.#

I feel bad for all the new guys who are starting. They won't last a day. Crippling population and gameplay for everyone. For some it's a very exiting news, but in reality it will hurt the game. 

Edited by Ned Low

4 minutes ago, Ned Low said:

I feel bad for all the new guys who are starting. They won't last a day. Crippling population and gameplay for everyone. 

tsif.jpg

New guys got on perfectly fine back when there wasn't even a map.

7 minutes ago, maturin said:

tsif.jpg

New guys got on perfectly fine back when there wasn't even a map.

I hope you will be the active one helping them in chat with their 'I am lost' questions. :) Every time I will see one I will think of you. 

Edited by Ned Low

GPS removal is good, but a button that reveals your APPROXIMATE location after 2 mins would have been nice

28 minutes ago, Ned Low said:

I hope you will be the active one helping them in chat with their 'I am lost' questions. :) Every time I will see one I will think of you. 

Son, I navigated people across half of Chernarus just by sitting on my butt and listening to them describe their surroundings on TS3.

52 minutes ago, AxIslander said:

Did u remove the gps coordinates from the game?

46 minutes ago, SneakyTurtle said:

No coordinates in the game Sucks....only on F11 do I see a position.

Welcome to world of Vickings.......they removed the grid and you can't even zoom in enough to match land to see where you might be.  I mean THEY HAD FREAKING CHARTS BACK THAN AND MEANS TO NAVIGATE.   This isn't the DARK AGE OF ACTION SAILING.   Once gain you listen to 10% of the player base and not the other 90% majority of your players.   Have fun keeping any new players around.

2 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Welcome to world of Vickings.......they removed the grid and you can't even zoom in enough to match land to see where you might be.  I mean THEY HAD FREAKING CHARTS BACK THAN AND MEANS TO NAVIGATE.   This isn't the DARK AGE OF ACTION SAILING.   Once gain you listen to 10% of the player base and not the other 90% majority of your players.   Have fun keeping any new players around.

more players enjoyed the game on release without coordinates. coordinates were a mistake. 

this can help a little bit.  http://burningsail.com

1 minute ago, admin said:

more players enjoyed the game on release without coordinates. coordinates were a mistake. 

Coordinates were not a mistake. GPS was
Instead we asked to replaced it with Navigation button that would activate in 2 mins and only show approximate location size of a square, thus helping to find your way even if you logged out in sea and forgot where you were

Just now, admin said:

Really who was this more players....The 10 in that thread?   Cause last I check there was a survey on this  and most those players that wanted it removed been playing this game over a year and know the map pretty much by heart.

AGAIN WHY AM I USING A 3RD PARTY SOURCE FOR YOUR GAME?

If they don't want to us it they should have an option to turn it off or "DON'T USE MAPS."   

But what ever have fun with those reviews....back to using Buringsails it seems for all.

3 minutes ago, Major General La Fayette said:

this one is good too : http://map.licornes.eu

Actually I found burning sails was not accurate when I use to use it.  The land shapes wasn't matching up and some of the cords/speeds wheren't matching up with in game cords and headings so it's not exactly the best means to use navigation.

Edited by Sir Texas Sir

AGAIN WHY AM I USING A 3RD PARTY SOURCE FOR YOUR GAME?

I take it you reject sinful amenities such as Teamspeak as well?

Or is Capslock some sort of code for hypocrisy?

Anyhow, for the umpteenth time, adding only the latitude back in would be a very historical compromise.

2 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Really who was this more players....The 10 in that thread?   Cause last I check there was a survey on this  and most those players that wanted it removed been playing this game over a year and know the map pretty much by heart.

Getting lost is a magic moment mate. We are bringing it back. 

10 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

I don't have to use team speak to play the game, but a solo or new player will have to use some source to figure out how to navigate in game.  

Even back than they where able to get there coords, it wasn't just latitude and most ships had very good navigation charts of the main sea lanes to go by once they get these coors.  No one is saying pin point dot on the map GPS.  Which we didn't even have a dot, you still had to look the coorsd up and figure there location.  You don't want it to be as accurate than just drop the last part.  So that what was 72.35 would instead be 72.3 so you don't have an exact location.  Just removing every thing some one could use to navigate in game is going backwards.

They could just add compass, a simple real life compass. Open the map with compass and compare. They did have such tools back then. This will teach players basics of navigation and will eliminate this mess. 

Edited by Ned Low

6 minutes ago, admin said:

Getting lost is a magic moment mate. We are bringing it back. 

Gotta love getting lost in the storm with no coords. Ending up 2 ports away from home makes for a fun encounter. :)

10 minutes ago, Hodo said:

And where is your documentation that states that they ONLY had latitude information back then?   

Captain Cooke sailed around the south tip of America and over most of the Pacific, he what only had latitude?

If in the course of all your humble-brag posts about Boy Scouts orienteering in the mountains you have never bothered to even look up John Harrison's chronometer on Wikipedia, I am not going to bother throwing sources at you.

Cooke found his longitude by dead reckoning. In other words, he used the pen-and-paper version of BurningSails.com

The Spanish and most of the buccaneers that followed them sailed across the Pacific by following a single line of latitude, so as not to get lost.

Other methods of calculating longitude were derived in the mid-1700s, but they were all extremely complex and not feasible on board most ships, for various reasons. Only chronometers provided useful longitude readouts, and chronometers remained enormously expensive and scarce even in the early 1800s.

Notice there are lat and long lines on that map and VERY detailed information that is not guess work.

You aren't acquainted with the difference between surveying fixed points on land and finding your position when surrounded by featureless sea? You know back when they thought the Earth was flat they still had maps, FFS.

I don't have to use team speak to play the game, but a solo or new player will have to use some source to figure out how to navigate in game.  

Even back than they where able to get there coords, it wasn't just latitude and most ships had very good navigation charts of the main sea lanes to go by once they get these coors.

So? There's a map in the game. You can follow the coast, or estimate a heading and follow a course.

The compass is crude but I can still sail across the whole Gulf of Mexico and hit a target withing visual range. BurningSail is not essential; it's just a useful aid.

5 minutes ago, Powderhorn said:

I don't know why people need an external map.

There is one in the game.  It is the M key.

its a matter of principle. if we are going to take out gps then we might as well screw around with the map to. this map is way to accurate for the time. to much immersion is lost. devs need to draw fake islands and stuff on the map. that way we can have more magic moments of being lost at sea

@admin getting lost for a magic moment is ok. Not having navigation tools is not ok.
I think that doing it smartly would be to create navigation skill that when worked on gives better results in using navigation button. If navigation skill is low it gives your location as size of 4 squares on the map. The best navigation skill would give size of 1 square.