Game-Labs Forum

My Union Campaign: Wrapped Up Georgia Railroad: Nearly There

Kind of disappointing.  You lost more troops (24k) than you gained in reward (19k).  Even with the extra for captured units and the rewarded Iron bde, you're still under about 3k.  Does not auger well for Fburg, which will be a bloodbath you should have over 100k going into.  Minimize your losses in the next few minor battles so you can build your strength.

How many troops did you bring?  Can't make it out.

Looks like 68,000 or so.  Pretty light for this stage.  That issue will come to a head at Fredericksburg where you need a lot of troops period.  Once you hit that stage and forward there are lots of bloodbaths and a lot less options for what to do to avoid it.

Edited by Bigjku
Clarification

One additional tip to get the most out of skrimishers and carbine cav.  If you advance them near artillery or skirmishers you want them to stand and fight like you did early up North advance to killing range and hit hold position.  They will stand and blast away at the artillery.  Otherwise you get one volley and that's it.

That's a problem particularly against artillery as they don't retreat far enough to get out of range.

Also I would never counter charge like you did just south of the church at the start of phase 2.  Enemy did you a favor.  They charged one brigade and you had a brigade backing it and another beside it to pour in fire while they fought.  They can shoot melee engaged troops don't.  Stand your ground and pour in fire.  You initial unit may route but you will out kill them by a ton and massacre their unit.

Properly received enemy charges are a gift.  Don't hand it back.

On 6/1/2017 at 7:26 AM, Fred Sanford said:

You complained about scattering of divisions in the set up.  You can move brigades around within the deployment box, and if you click on a brigade the info box in the lower left will tell you it's corps/division.  So you can shuffle them around to group divisions.

Also, max out your supply wagons for Antietam.  It's a long battle.

I finally figured that one out, Also I owe you a brigade Mr. Sanford.  Sanford Brigade coming up. 

Not to discourage you but I fear that, with the amount of losses you are taking, that your campaign will not end well, especially in the later battles.  At the rate you are losing troops, if it continues at the same rate, you will not be able to sustain your army for the battles yet to come.  

EDIT: Also many of the tactics and overall strategy for some of the battles will not work on harder difficulties.  At least that is my opinion.  

Guys thank you for your patience.  Watching my screwup sometimes takes real patience.  I will try and follow the solid advice you guys have given here.

Form up my divisions.  Mass my troops.  Set up arty then attack.

Let's hope I can learn from my mistakes.  We'll see if I can win the final battles with the army I have if not, well it has been a good run.

General McFatts offers his deepest regret and condolences for his military failures.  

o7 

Guys I'm currently in the middle of Stone's River.  What a mess that one is turning out to be.  Well lets hope the enemy scales down in size for me.  Thanks for all the tips.  We'll see how the end of the campaign goes.  About how many battles do I have left. 

Wait until you get to Chancellorsville..... I am in the same boat like you, when it comes to loosing men even though I have the flanks covered, arty in support, two or three bdes abreast and in cover when possible and still loosing 25K @ Fredericksburg... not sure how many in Chancerllorsville, but I am on day 2 of Gettysburg with an 86K plus army.

29 minutes ago, i64man said:

Wait until you get to Chancellorsville..... I am in the same boat like you, when it comes to loosing men even though I have the flanks covered, arty in support, two or three bdes abreast and in cover when possible and still loosing 25K @ Fredericksburg... not sure how many in Chancerllorsville, but I am on day 2 of Gettysburg with an 86K plus army.

Thanks man, this makes me feel a bit better.  A lot of folks on this forum are pretty skilled with this game.  I lost about 20k men at Freddy but I would have lost many more if I hadn't known to avoid Marye's Heights.  

that part of that battle is simply a bear to do... does not matter which way you try to do it, you will loose a lot of men just breaking past their initial defensive positions... I tried the center, the right until finally, on a fresh start broke through on the left side of the map, close to the last objective telegraph road ... but it hurt my two front line bdes .... and you are correct, there are a lot more skilled people on this forum. I like their pointers but in the end, is just plain fun and addictive game. Will see how this end up.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, i64man said:

that part of that battle is simply a bear to do... does not matter which way you try to do it, you will loose a lot of men just breaking past their initial defensive positions... I tried the center, the right until finally, on a fresh start broke through on the left side of the map, close to the last objective telegraph road ... but it hurt my two front line bdes .... and you are correct, there are a lot more skilled people on this forum. I like their pointers but in the end, is just plain fun and addictive game. Will see how this end up.

I hear that.  I just finished Stones River, and all I can say is it ended better than it started. 

At your phase transition when you decided to move off North...You can't really just grab a bunch of units under fire and march them out of contact in the opposite direction.  That command basically turns their back to the enemy and they all rout.

For all players a huge key to disengaging when under fire is to use the fallback command.  Break contact then initiate movement with move commands.

When you did move you also executed a march right across the enemy front exposing your troops to flanking fire all the way up there.  You never want to march parallel to enemy lines within range of their fire.  Parallel marches need to be out of range of small arms for sure.

Edited by Bigjku

In the end your casualties really weren't that bad.  The AI should have pressed you more when you were on the move and really didn't.  I took worse beatings on earlier attempts at this battle.

The good news is once you get back to the entrenchment you have a nearly impregnable defensive position that the AI doesn't assault very well.

If you can keep losses down at Chancellorsville you have a punchers chance to recover with a big win at Gettysburg.

Question, are you really short on artillery? I think I saw a pretty bad beating on your guns at FB.

On 6/9/2017 at 2:48 AM, i64man said:

So are you going to start a new campaing?

Were taking this campaign to completion.  I'm in the middle of a move so my next uploads are going to be a while though.  Win or lose I will ride this campaign out. 

So guys I just wrapped up Nansemond River.  Sorry it's been a while I just moved back to the US from Thailand for the summer.  Well I took your advice that I need more men and I spend 30 favor on getting 7000 more men.  I managed to capture some as well in this last battle.  What are your tips though for me suriving Chancelorsville?

Just now, Bigjku said:

How many men and how much artillery can you bring to the battle?  That will drive what you can do really.

Still have 2 more optional battles to go, but about 4 full corps of 20 brigades each.  About 2 arty brigades per corp.