Game-Labs Forum
Aventador

Why Make a Separate Game?

Aventador    321

@admin If you are going to provide it free to people who already own Naval Action why not just tie it into Naval Action? You could have a start menu similar to total war games like this: http://staublicht.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/napoleon_fe_main.jpg and instead of single player and multiplayer change the tabs to Open World and Legends(or whatever it will be called) Thoughts?

Anolytic    3,038

Money...

Yes. Us testers who have helped (hopefully) in the development of this game and the realisation of the "spin-off", will be getting it for free. But future customers, after the games are released, will choose which game is for them, and buy either one or the other. And maybe if they really like the game they choose at first, they will later also purchase the other.

= more money. And nothing wrong with that.

Also the games will probably have different financial models. Packaging them together will not be a good idea and is eligible to confuse customers and disrupt the customer experience severely, eroding trust in the product.

It is likely, in my opinion, that the Naval Action Legends game will have an extensive in-game shop. Maybe even be free-2-play at its core, and that the in-game shop will be the money sink beyond just buying paints and cosmetic customizations.

Naval Action Legends is likely going to embody, one way or another, everything that I hate about modern online gaming. But then again, what do I care as long as this Naval Action open world game continues to be great? And Game-labs earn money.

Edited by Anolytic

Christendom    2,050

A new game will also get a separate and new steam "slot".  Not sure what you call it.  The reviews, good or bad, won't follow the new game around as baggage.  

Amonacc    564

Worst news I ever heard on this forum. That new game will screw current OW, bc of significant reduction time IRL, what you need to play and get fun (fights). Some big-big part of players just leave OW to decay with empty sea. That means... A waste two years of developement.

#refusetobelieve

Edited by Amonacc
add

Aegir    1,671

If they bundle the games they would have to charge accordingly, at which point they'll have to push for AAA money at $50-60. An amount which if someone prefers either only the OW game or the arena game - but not both, or both but finding that their similarity makes for a bad value proposition - wouldn't pay.

Edited by Aegir

Pitxagorri    261

It makes sense to me, like H1Z1, do you want full pvp, just pew pew? KING OF THE KILL!   Do you want a survival experience, more looting/farming with more mechanics? JUST SURVIVE!

With this you don't have to buy the full experience (30-40 euros) you just have to buy the game that goes with your style

Aventador    321
6 hours ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

H1Z1 also split their game in 2 the same way with great success.

?? From what I remember that's where it took a dip for the worst.

I mean idk they are going to use the exact same platform that they have been using. Same ships and mechanics but instead have a lobby based system. Doesn't seem like a whole new game to me. If they want more money they should make it a dlc for naval action

Because this way, they can for example make naval action legends a free to play game, with business model like in WoT. Normal naval action would be something like a paid version of the game, with open world and other MMO-like stuff. Naval action legends, with let's say micro payments for cosmetics etc. would be a stabile source of money and also could encourage more players to buy the main game. At least that's how I see it.

The Red Duke    6,298

Most splits never surpassed the main universe in the long run, see Elite for example. Even on natural proto-arena games like milsims the majority of players favour large expanses to travel, fight and build bases - example wasteland based arma mods - than the short run CQB scenarios.

Some folk crave the instant action more than the universe presented. Hence they get what they crave for. A solid age of sail combat game :) with equal teams, fair BR, nothing else.

It is good audience. And many might get drawn into full fledge simulation and get into OW coming from that.

XM95    0

Hi guys, I apologice because I don't know if this message corresponds to this theme but I need your advice.

I was going to buy Naval Action (the current one, with open world and all that staff), in steam it appears as "early access" and this caused me some doubts about buying it or not and tonight I have been reading a discussioin in steam in where some players commented that this is the end of the game because the developpers will not dedicate it the necessary time to finish it.

Now I am really worried because I don't want to buy it if the game will loose the support little by little and at the end die, in other words, it scares me that because of this new game the original Naval Action could not be finished (it is still alpha version I think).

That's why I have thought about asking you for advice.

I really love this open world caribean pirates games since I played Pirates of the Caribean for PC (The one of Nathaniel Hawk) but I don't want to waste my money.

Do you think I should buy it or not?

Please ask me sincerelly and sorry again if this comment is not appropiated for this discussion.

Powderhorn    2,045

Naval Action is going to continue to be supported.  It's like someone saying Naval Action is going belly-up because they released another Ultimate General game.

XM95    0

Ok thanks, I am more comfortable now that I now that Naval Action will be supported.

I think that developing Naval Action Legends as a new game, separated from current Naval Action can be a good idea for players that just want to fight.

This kind of fighting arena games have demonstrated to be a really good way to make a MMO with an enormous economical profit.

They could make Naval Action Legends inside the current Naval Action but it could not be a good idea because Naval Action is not finished yet and this type of fighting arena games are usually free to play, which does not fit with the price of the current Naval Action.

So I think it is a good idea to make it separately because from the developing point of view, it is a terrible idea to make this kind of massive changes to an Alpha version but the worst idea possible would be mixing and alpha version with a beta version.

So I think that for different reasons it is the best solution to make Naval Action Legends separately from the current Naval Action Game.

I hope this to be useful to someone.

Kind regards.

Edited by XM95

Macjimm    477
On 5/16/2017 at 8:01 PM, Aventador said:

@admin If you are going to provide it free to people who already own Naval Action why not just tie it into Naval Action? You could have a start menu similar to total war games like this: http://staublicht.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/napoleon_fe_main.jpg and instead of single player and multiplayer change the tabs to Open World and Legends(or whatever it will be called) Thoughts?

That seems like a good idea.  

Perhaps this game needs two separate games because of it's history.  There has been a huge amount of drama from the efforts to  force players into the e-sport high competition style of gaming.  If there had not been so much passionate criticism about the lack of fighting and how boring sailing is .... it might have been easier to just fold both games into one with the E-sport version just a main menu option.   But if we have a distinct and separate "Naval ACTION Arena Game"  then it may be possible to reduce the raging and moaning about the lack of evenly matched PvP battles in "The Open World Age of Sail, Fleeing and Chasing Game".   No point complaining when the solution is just to play the alternate game.

I wonder if many (or any) people will buy both games.  They seem like such different games.

Chustler    1,353

I think many of you are missing the fact that the arena type game is going to have a much broader appeal to a wider audience, and may actually serve to get many new people into the open world once they realize how great the combat in this game is.  It may end up being way better for everyone all round.

Kleinburger    34
21 hours ago, Chustler said:

I think many of you are missing the fact that the arena type game is going to have a much broader appeal to a wider audience, and may actually serve to get many new people into the open world once they realize how great the combat in this game is.  It may end up being way better for everyone all round.

I completely agree with this sentiment, what got many of us into Naval Action was in fact the sea trials which was essentially an arena combat game.

Having two different games makes perfect sense to me.  One for arena style combat where the notion of a age of sail ship simulator isn't needed -- not just no grind but almost no work at all.  It could mean the original NA moves more towards a real age of sail simulator... variable wind speed and direction, variable seas, more controls over the reefing and sheeting of sails, to name a few.  And a functioning economy.  Heck, maybe even more than 90 minutes of night.

IOW two games for two rather different interests.

The Red Duke    6,298
8 minutes ago, Genma Saotome said:

It could mean the original NA moves more towards a real age of sail simulator... variable wind speed and direction, variable seas, more controls over the reefing and sheeting of sails, to name a few.  And a functioning economy.  Heck, maybe even more than 90 minutes of night.

Oh yes, Please !!!

fox2run    493
On 17/5/2017 at 6:16 AM, Amonacc said:

Worst news I ever heard on this forum. That new game will screw current OW, bc of significant reduction time IRL, what you need to play and get fun (fights). Some big-big part of players just leave OW to decay with empty sea. That means... A waste two years of developement.

#refusetobelieve

In my point of view this is the best news for a long time. For my part I loved the big battles with line ships in them. But after a series of patches I realise now, that OW does not allow me as a single player to achieve this again. Ever. I simply cant spend a year or more to get a lineship going just to loose it against some pro-pirate gankers. Im sorry to say. But Im not using much time on this game anymore. The fun is gone. The wars are gone. The only thing left is PBs for very hard-core players. They felt that medium players and casual players where to big a burden and made this kind of game where players have to be a member of a clan with TS. Theres is nothing in between anymore. So for me Legends could be a great hing so I can play as Nelson or take command of a Santissimad Trinidad without spending months or as it is now years of gameplay. 

I simply dont get this approach. 

Muinko    32

Minimal development for a second game that can be used to help support the OW, I see nothing wring with that. At least we are not getting a cash shop where people could drop $10 on a copper plating just ruining the game. 

Demsity    109
On 2017-06-10 at 7:03 AM, OneEyedSnake said:

Wait, we will be getting this free. @admin can you re confirm this, because to be honest I need to see this to believe it.

Skully    1,021

@Demsity

On 5/16/2017 at 4:11 PM, admin said:

Naval Action Legends will be provided to all buyers of Naval Action (Caribbean Open world game) for free. The payment model for the game has not been defined yet.