Game-Labs Forum

Can't Enter Firing Mode

Admiral Von Gerlach

Question

Just started testing the game.

Launched ship basic cutter 40 crew listed but

1. do i need to manually somehow add the guns ? i see an entry for them

2. do i need to manually add crew? i see entry for them

but when i get to see i do not see any crew on deck, and i cannot enter firing mode by 'right mouse click on side of ship to aim from" which is the closest thing i can find on line on how to enter firing mode.

cannot use the brackets [ ] or any other key to bring up a firing mode UI of any kind or fire any gun or broadside.

Also no indication of how to return to port, i see the teleport key on the screen but it is grayed out.

so i can move ship around fine use telescope but cannot fire any gun

advice?

>>>>do we have to have a target to enter into firing mode?

>>>>>do we have to have selected certain types of shot to fire? if so how do we activate that process?

>>>>>do we have to have installed the guns and ammunition in port first? 

much appreciate any help.

thank you

Graphics are beautiful and the ship model is very accurate and well made.

Edited by Admiral Von Gerlach

11 answers to this question

First of all, welcome captain.

In order to give you a nice overview you can check this thread and look for the appropriate guide you need

There are plenty of good and well detailed guides. And the youtube videos are quite good.

The forum section you will find this is here

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/forum/44-guides/&

• Like 1

Thank you for the reply but it didnt not yet help me.

There are many very detailed posts about detailed aspects of the game but none of them show step by step HOW to Enter firing mode and HOW to AIM...

this was the closest i found:

To aim your guns in battle go to the left or right side of the ship and right click.

To shoot your guns aim and then left click and you will fire your guns. You can also use the space bar to shoot one cannon at a time.

when i turned the ship to face me broadisde, port or starboard, and right clicked nothing happened at all, no new UI element showed up no change was visible

so there was no way to AIM or FIRE 

an detailed step by step on HOW to activate firing controls would be very helpful thanks

I still need to have confirmation :

do i need to ADD guns to have working guns? i have no gold to buy with yet so cant buy from store

do i need to LOAD crew to have crew on board? i saw no crew on deck when i started to sea...so there was no indication they were ready to fire or not.

I understand that the goal of the game is for us to learn as we do so no Manual but i do need to understand at least the basics and so far NO tutorial i can find shows the actual STEPS to entire fire mode..HOW to Right Click to enter it and HOW to AIM..so i cannot fight or defend at all yet. thank you for help. I am very experienced in sailing and history of this era and age of sail and have commanded not just squadrons but fleets in other forms of Naval wargaming but am totaly new to this sim and hope to study it in detail. thank you.

you need to start from zero when looking for guides. Literally.

When you enter the open sea you are not able to fight the ship.

You need to attack an enemy vessel to be transitioned into a battle. In there you can use all the controls you wonder about. But first you need to initiate a battle instance.

• Like 1

ah thank you very much.

I thought that might be the case but was not sure. ..about not being able to enter firing mode until near another ship. I wonder if it might be a good feature to have a "crew firing training Mode" added as an option to allow us to do training as was done in real life, ships would drop emtpy Water Casks and use them as targets to train gun crews.

I will have to get my training under fire i reckon but i do appreciate the help and the posts. I dont mean to seem overly anxious about this all, and apologize for the trouble BungeeLemming Sir and others, i did read thru and understand most of all of the process and many tutorials but none of them mention that gunnery mode cannot be activated until one is in range of another ship. It might be a good thing to add to tutorials. I have written many myself including a number for Naval wargames so am aware of how complex control issues can be and the discovery aspect of this sim is an interesting approach and I am not complaining, just eager to learn the ropes so i can get my sea legs.

thanks again to all hands for the kind assistance for this shellback.

I now understand these to be true:

You Obtain your starter Free ship complete equipped with basic gun suite and crew on board. I will have to check to be sure the slider was all the way to the right on crew management but i did see the bar set at 40 so I assumed they were already on board.

You can control the ship as soon as it is launched, and you can return to port if you are in the immediate area just off shore of the "harbor" entrance region. You can also return using the teleport key but there is a delay (cool down).

You cannot enter into firing mode or aim until you are within range of another ship...and are in a battle instance.

I am guessing the UI elements at the base of the screen i see in some tutorials on firing will appear when i am in gunnery mode. will look for them when i can achieve that mode.

thanks again for the help

Adm V.G.

thank you Longshot just heading for some 'shore leave' sleep, i am in the US and have to work days mostly and due to leave for Japan for more work soon. so thanks i will keep your name to add to friends and that would be nice to share some .. i will start out on the PVE server and was planning to play for Great Britain to start with as that is the navy I know the best from my own past wargaming ..

rediii that was a big help yes your explanation made it all much clearer thank you very much.

Adm V.G.

• Like 2

OMG.  This game REALLY needs a tutorial mode.

Ive spent about an hour sailing about with no idea of what to do, then server update!

:(

this thread has helped several of my questions.

ideally id be looking to sail about with a few peeps on teamspeak if there were any about UK times?

13 hours ago, Rudolf Pflanz said:

OMG.  This game REALLY needs a tutorial mode.

Ive spent about an hour sailing about with no idea of what to do, then server update!

:(

this thread has helped several of my questions.

ideally id be looking to sail about with a few peeps on teamspeak if there were any about UK times?

The game is still in development so a tutorial would be ever changing.  Though I would like to say we have some great players that done some great videos and walk throughs on youtube and on steam.  Some of them are a bit out dated, but they still teach the basic folks need to start off.