Game-Labs Forum

NA waves  + other environment looks better. But Sailaway has better sail control :D

Edited by z4ys

3 minutes ago, Peter Goldman said:

Can you be on the same boat with your friend in multiplayer or is it just 1 player - 1 boat?

multicrew. sadly no visuals except the ship parts moving about :)

NA + sailaway SP/coop game :) would be cool.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Remus said:

I wonder if they've included AFK collision with supertanker?

Or a floating container that was knocked off of a cargo ship.  The folks in our sailing club that make the occasional crossing to Hawaii are always afraid of those suckers.  They don't show up on radar since they usually float so low in the water and will happily hull a recreational sailing yacht.

• Like 5

@The Red DukeDoes Sailaway use real time wind? 

I am thinking of the online sailing games that follow IRL races as they are run like Liveskipper or Virtual Regatta. Liveskipper has a tall ship race to Bermuda going on right now. Unfortunately you start from the beginning if you join late. VR puts you in the back half of the fleet. Problem with VR is that the subscription model is steep. 10 euros just to use waypoints in one race! The advantage with Sailaway is the one time payment - but another EA game...... 

13 hours ago, DeRuyter said:

I am thinking of the online sailing games that follow IRL races as they are run like Liveskipper or Virtual Regatta. Liveskipper has a tall ship race to Bermuda going on right now. Unfortunately you start from the beginning if you join late. VR puts you in the back half of the fleet. Problem with VR is that the subscription model is steep. 10 euros just to use waypoints in one race! The advantage with Sailaway is the one time payment - but another EA game...... 

I quit VA because it was too P2W, and waking up at 3a to go around a mark wasn't fun.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DeRuyter said:

Real Weather

The clouds, wind, fog, rain and snow are all simulated according to the real weather as provided by National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). This means you can use actual weather predictions from your favorite weather service to plan your journey.

• Like 1

I got the game during the Steam Sale.  First thing I did was do a journey from Salem, Massachusetts to Plana Cays, Bahamas.  I set skill level to advanced even though I am a beginner so that I could manually trim the sails (what's the point in playing otherwise?)  It took me about 7 days to get there.  Sometimes the wind was decent and I was travelling 6-7 knots.  Other times it was blowing 2 knots and I was travelling 2 knots, other times it was blowing 20 knots and I had to reef my sails and so was going 2 knots.  I really like the real weather, the real sky, the real sun and moon positions.  I also really like that there are currents and leeway.  I also like that the wind is constantly veering back and forth so I have to continually tighten or loosen different sheets.  This in fact gives you something to do because you are changing it every minute.  

Naval Action could potentially use something like this to keep people occupied in the OW so people wouldn't say there is nothing to do (i.e. having the option to trim sails and use manual sails on the OW.  The AI would use autoskipper of course).

On my trip my boat sailed while I was out of game and I got an email update every 3-6 hours (setting I chose) of what was going on.  The only thing the email didn't have was current weather, whether it was raining, sunny, cloudy, etc (it did give wind direction and speed).

What the game really needs is a sextant and the ability to turn the gps off.  A model of the Lynx or a modern schooner would be awesome as well.

Screenshots from yesterday's graphic update:

XY9UfTk.jpg

d0S3lue.jpg

XnifVp1.jpg

DXbrvXt.png

RaCXlzs.png

M4VQhfH.png

Edited by Prater
  • Like 1

Actually, maybe.  I don't know if you can interrupt races.  I wouldn't be surprised if you could because I think it is all one server.  Show up at a race not intending to race and steal the wind (this is a thing in the game) from the racers.  Or, maybe races are their own instance of the world.  I don't know, I haven't been in a race yet.  It would probably be frowned upon, and it wouldn't be in the spirit of that community.

Edited by Prater
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Norfolk nChance said:

@The Red Duke

Can I gank at the virtual regatta...?

Give there's no collisions and that the participants are flagged as such, what would be the point ? There's plenty of games where a "mongrel" can play for grief other than fun :)

• Like 2

Raising this thread from the dead: Sailaway is leaving EA and going to be released February 27. Still at 39 USD I will wait for the next steam sale.

9 hours ago, CaptainSparckles said:

Stupid game I thought.  They have to introduce more ships and ports .

But the graphics are awesome !

The real content is the multiplayer racing IMO. Fun for the offseason when you can't get out sailing IRL. I agree though they should have more boat classes in the game.