Game-Labs Forum
Busterbloodvessel

Ship Upgrade Knowledge Routesknowledge

This thread gives information on the knowledge tree and the ship slot grind path. Whilst I started this thread, I am now using this front page to summarise the contributions from others (whose contributions are far more than my own meagre offerings).

Tabulated Data

Thanks to contributions from all. A giant leap of a major contribution from @Black Spawn who obtained info from the API (see his post). I converted his API data into the linked google sheet below:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19Obzcvi_8W_hRJ4ceFbZ3t6b6ju9jum0Tw9liDOTYAs/edit?usp=sharing 

Known XP grind values are cumulative I have inserted these into the spreadsheet so far as they are known but we need more please post them up on this thread.

Graphical Representation

Black Spawn also provided a graphical representation of the info which you can also find in a further post below. However, a more complete graphical representation of the info so far is by @St0nkingByte who suggests you will probably need to open this fullscreen to really understand it. His graph does NOT contain ships which are not linked to others (e.g. Santa Cecilia and Rattlesnake).

Seems to apply to Patch 10 so far!

Has anyone got any other bits for the grind info jigsaw? If so, please post below and I will update the information as we go for general use.

Buster (polishing the handle on the big front door)

Sorry stuffed up the thread title...

Edited by Busterbloodvessel
Added more info on 2017.06.01, Graphical link added

17 minutes ago, Busterbloodvessel said:

Or the devs could just list it out for us

They will once they know how it looks.

Santi 2nd slot (37400xp) needs slot 4 pavel

3rd rate 3rd slots (42840xp!) needs slot 4 aggie

Aggie slot 3 (21750) needs frigate slot 5

I figure you will have made 10 rear admiral/curse if not more by the time you unlock all slots on all ships!

Edited by TheLoneWolf

5 minutes ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

grinding all this will take about 20 years ingame time lol

Great. (Sigh) Then we'll just have to start over with iron clad steam ships. 

Yeah that's realy some serious grinding.

BUT: you will allways have to do something now, that's something. ;) 

The problem is not to unlock the slot .. the problem is that when you go to have it unlocked they tell you that there will be a wipe or some change on that .. and what you have done is not worth anything ... that is the real problem ..
  As it is an early access your work does not count .. imagine that you take 1 year to reach a santisima and when you are going to "have it" conditions tell you .. will see a wipe ... lol many players will tell you is a game Alpha you can not complain

PvP yields 3x the xp. Do the math. you get those slots pretty fast acting support brig to frigates and overall being a pain up their sterns.

Just now, Hodo said:

IF you have unlocked all of the slots in the Basic Cutter, Pickle, Privateer, Lynx, Brig, Navy Brig, Mercury, Rattlesnake, Snow and the Niagara.  

Yep. Hope to see them grouped by rate or sail plan. Running most of those at 3 - 4 slots atm. Niagara and Mercury running at 3 slots are hell decent.

11 hours ago, Alakrana said:

The problem is not to unlock the slot .. the problem is that when you go to have it unlocked they tell you that there will be a wipe or some change on that .. and what you have done is not worth anything ... that is the real problem ..
  As it is an early access your work does not count .. imagine that you take 1 year to reach a santisima and when you are going to "have it" conditions tell you .. will see a wipe ... lol many players will tell you is a game Alpha you can not complain

When I bought the game it said, up front, this would happen. Not that it might happen, not that it was a possibility, but that there would be wipes periodically. I expected more than this sooner. Didn't you get the memo?

8 hours ago, The Red Duke said:

Yep. Hope to see them grouped by rate or sail plan.

I'm with you on this.

this is just shit ,i dont wana grind each ship cause i hate alot of them. they shut make it per TIER like 1ship in 6 and 1 in 5 and so on. this is just retarded.

2 hours ago, Bobzillah said:

this is just shit ,i dont wana grind each ship cause i hate alot of them. they shut make it per TIER like 1ship in 6 and 1 in 5 and so on. this is just retarded.

just to clarify , this system atm is like if we would say in world of warhammer take an healer but say yeah you cannot get all youre healing skills until you grinded up the warroir to level this and a tank to this and fire mage to that orso ,i would prefer to choose the ship i GRIND in ,dubbel or triple the grind for me i dont care aslong as i can say in wich SHIP i can do the grind !!! 

So if I go straight from the basic cutter to the redeemable Surprise or Inde I can't do shit with it?

23 minutes ago, Batman said:

So if I go straight from the basic cutter to the redeemable Surprise or Inde I can't do shit with it?

You can unlock the first 3 upgrade slots, but you'll need to unlock earlier ships to unlock the last 4-5.

Edited by Serk

Think you can do whatever, simply the ship knowledge is limited to three expertises. To fully unlock mastery ( five slots ) one must learn whatever ships are indicated in the locked slot. It is a odd system, granted but also provides much needed variety.

Hey folks. I was looking into the data from the API and think i got the dependencies of the slots. Based on the intel earlier in the thread this might work:

None means "only XP", the Shipnames refer to the name and slotnumber needed to unlock.

Tell me what you think:

3rd Rate | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Agamemnon (Slot 4) | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Agamemnon | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Frigate (Slot 5) | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Basic Cutter | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3: None | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Basic Lynx | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3: None | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Belle Poule | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Frigate (Slot 4) | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Bellona | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Agamemnon (Slot 5) | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Brig | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Pickle (Slot 3) | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Bucentaure | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  St. Pavel (Slot 4) | Slot4:  Bellona (Slot 5) | Slot5: None | 
Cerberus | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Snow (Slot 3) | Slot4:  Brig (Slot 4) | Slot5: None | 
Constitution | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Endymion (Slot 4) | Slot4:  Trincomalee (Slot 5) | Slot5: None | 
Cutter | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Basic Cutter (Slot 3) | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Endymion | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Trincomalee (Slot 4) | Slot4:  Surprise (Slot 5) | Slot5: None | 
Essex | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Frigate (Slot 4) | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Frigate | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Cerberus (Slot 4) | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
GunBoat | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3: None | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Indefatigable | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Frigate (Slot 5) | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Indiaman | UpgradeModulesCount 3 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3: None | 
Ingermanland | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3: None | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Le Gros Ventre | UpgradeModulesCount 3 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3: None | 
LHermione | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3: None | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
LOcean | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2:  St. Pavel (Slot 4) | Slot3:  Bucentaure (Slot 4) | Slot4:  Victory (Slot 5) | Slot5: None | 
Lynx | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Basic Cutter (Slot 3) | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Mercury | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Privateer (Slot 3) | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Mortar Brig | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Brig (Slot 5) | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
NavyBrig | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Brig (Slot 5) | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Niagara | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3: None | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Pandora | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3: None | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Pickle | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Basic Cutter (Slot 3) | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Pirate Frigate | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Frigate (Slot 3) | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Prince de Neufchatel | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3: None | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Privateer | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Basic Cutter (Slot 3) | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Rattlesnake Heavy | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3: None | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Rattlesnake | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3: None | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Renommee | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Mercury (Slot 4) | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Santa Cecilia | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3: None | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Santisima | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2:  St. Pavel (Slot 4) | Slot3:  Bucentaure (Slot 4) | Slot4:  Victory (Slot 5) | Slot5: None | 
Snow | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Brig (Slot 3) | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
St. Pavel | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Bellona (Slot 4) | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Surprise | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Renommee (Slot 4) | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Traders Brig | UpgradeModulesCount 3 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3: None | 
Traders Cutter | UpgradeModulesCount 3 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3: None | 
Traders Lynx | UpgradeModulesCount 3 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3: None | 
Traders Snow | UpgradeModulesCount 3 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3: None | 
Trincomalee | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Surprise (Slot 4) | Slot4:  Renommee (Slot 5) | Slot5: None | 
Victory | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  St. Pavel (Slot 4) | Slot4:  Bucentaure (Slot 5) | Slot5: None | 
Wappen von Hamburg | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3: None | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Wasa | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3: None | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Yacht Silver | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3: None | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Yacht | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3: None | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 

Edited by Black Spawn
sorted ships via names

On 5/26/2017 at 7:43 AM, The Red Duke said:

Think you can do whatever, simply the ship knowledge is limited to three expertises. To fully unlock mastery ( five slots ) one must learn whatever ships are indicated in the locked slot. It is a odd system, granted but also provides much needed variety.

yes...

But it's not until you're unlocking your current ship's 2nd box of expertise that you find out which previous ship's 3rd expertise box needs to be unlocked. Everyone would prefer to know which ship to progress thru from the beginning and have a clear understanding of the prgression.

Thank you.

Just now, WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot said:

yes...

But it's not until you're unlocking your current ship's 2nd box of expertise that you find out which previous ship's 3rd expertise box needs to be unlocked. Everyone would prefer to know which ship to progress thru from the beginning and have a clear understanding of the prgression.

Thank you.

Correct.

52 minutes ago, Black Spawn said:

Hey folks. I was looking into the data from the API and think i got the dependencies of the slots. Based on the intel earlier in the thread this might work:

None means "only XP", the Shipnames refer to the name and slotnumber needed to unlock.

Tell me what you think:

3rd Rate | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Agamemnon (Slot 4) | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Agamemnon | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Frigate (Slot 5) | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Basic Cutter | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3: None | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Basic Lynx | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3: None | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Belle Poule | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Frigate (Slot 4) | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Bellona | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Agamemnon (Slot 5) | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Brig | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Pickle (Slot 3) | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Bucentaure | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  St. Pavel (Slot 4) | Slot4:  Bellona (Slot 5) | Slot5: None | 
Cerberus | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Snow (Slot 3) | Slot4:  Brig (Slot 4) | Slot5: None | 
Constitution | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Endymion (Slot 4) | Slot4:  Trincomalee (Slot 5) | Slot5: None | 
Cutter | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Basic Cutter (Slot 3) | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Endymion | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Trincomalee (Slot 4) | Slot4:  Surprise (Slot 5) | Slot5: None | 
Essex | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Frigate (Slot 4) | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Frigate | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Cerberus (Slot 4) | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
GunBoat | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3: None | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Indefatigable | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Frigate (Slot 5) | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Indiaman | UpgradeModulesCount 3 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3: None | 
Ingermanland | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3: None | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Le Gros Ventre | UpgradeModulesCount 3 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3: None | 
LHermione | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3: None | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
LOcean | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2:  St. Pavel (Slot 4) | Slot3:  Bucentaure (Slot 4) | Slot4:  Victory (Slot 5) | Slot5: None | 
Lynx | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Basic Cutter (Slot 3) | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Mercury | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Privateer (Slot 3) | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Mortar Brig | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Brig (Slot 5) | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
NavyBrig | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Brig (Slot 5) | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Niagara | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3: None | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Pandora | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3: None | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Pickle | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Basic Cutter (Slot 3) | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Pirate Frigate | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Frigate (Slot 3) | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Prince de Neufchatel | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3: None | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Privateer | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Basic Cutter (Slot 3) | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Rattlesnake Heavy | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3: None | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Rattlesnake | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3: None | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Renommee | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Mercury (Slot 4) | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Santa Cecilia | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3: None | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Santisima | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2:  St. Pavel (Slot 4) | Slot3:  Bucentaure (Slot 4) | Slot4:  Victory (Slot 5) | Slot5: None | 
Snow | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Brig (Slot 3) | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
St. Pavel | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Bellona (Slot 4) | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Surprise | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Renommee (Slot 4) | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Traders Brig | UpgradeModulesCount 3 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3: None | 
Traders Cutter | UpgradeModulesCount 3 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3: None | 
Traders Lynx | UpgradeModulesCount 3 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3: None | 
Traders Snow | UpgradeModulesCount 3 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3: None | 
Trincomalee | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  Surprise (Slot 4) | Slot4:  Renommee (Slot 5) | Slot5: None | 
Victory | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3:  St. Pavel (Slot 4) | Slot4:  Bucentaure (Slot 5) | Slot5: None | 
Wappen von Hamburg | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3: None | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Wasa | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3: None | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Yacht Silver | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3: None | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 
Yacht | UpgradeModulesCount 5 | Slot1: None | Slot2: None | Slot3: None | Slot4: None | Slot5: None | 

Thanks for you work. I see the Prince de Neufchâtel is still there !?

Edited by Serk