Game-Labs Forum

5 minutes ago, Anolytic said:

RvR might be a cause for a lot of grief and negatives. But it is also an important reason why scores of people play the game and keep with it.

That's not true. It is only a small percentages of all buyers who actually participated in one Pb.

7 minutes ago, z4ys said:

That's not true. It is only a small percentages of all buyers who actually participated in one Pb.

Of all buyers, yes. But only a small percentage of buyers also got past the Brig. 

Sure, PB players are not the majority of players on the PvP-server. Probably PvP-players aren't the majority on the PvP-server. But I would still venture a guess that a significant portion of the players with the most play-time in the game have been in at least a couple of port-battles. 

Edit: I'm not saying RvR is any more important than any other part of the game. In fact I have argued against making all other players too dependent on the ebb and flow of RvR, and I argued against the land ownership proposal that would force RvR on everyone. I'm just saying that RvR is part of the game and drives a lot of content in a sandbox game like this.

Edited by Anolytic

A score being 20, and PB being 25v25, there are at least three score people wanting PBs ;)

I think it can be a big econ driver as long as it isn't as it is now -- craft a 1st rate in one or two days. Join your clan/nation for a big fight; rinse and repeat every few days. They should be the culmination of a large effort by many people. Otherwise they're nothing special and you might as well be in the combat sim the devs are giving us. And why just for PBs? Fleet battles on the open sea can be just as entertaining. This isn't an empire building game neh?

Edited by Challenge

2 hours ago, admin said:

hmmmmm

initially OW did not have port battles. Port battles were requested by players. Just like crafting and alliances and buildings. 

hmmm

We are the root of all evil. :D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Davos Seasworth said:

I would pretty much toss that meeting out the door. Already word is coming down the wire that US and GB will not be fighting each other. Apparently in another meeting they voiced they will do no such thing. I guess they only like picking on small targets rather than having a good fight.

You are incorrect.  

The PVP Global US had a meeting a week or 2 ago and it was pretty much decided that for the good of the server we'll be fighting the Brits.  We might not like having to fight our one time bae's, but it's gotta happen.  Some clans seemed against this at the start, but it seemed like everyone was brought around to the necessity of it.  This was also said on the big PVP Global meeting more than a month ago.  Stop letting your paranoia dictate facts.  

Thanks.  

@OneEyedSnake noble effort.  but what it really breaks down to is some EU players just don't want to be on the server with Americans.  The day PVP 1 EU got the "EU" in it's name we've been in unwanted waters.  They prefer to stay in their sterile EU centric bubbles and I say at this point, let them.  

Edited by Christendom
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Christendom said:

You are incorrect.  

The PVP Global US had a meeting a week or 2 ago and it was pretty much decided that for the good of the server we'll be fighting the Brits.  We might not like having to fight our one time bae's, but it's gotta happen.  Some clans seemed against this at the start, but it seemed like everyone was brought around to the necessity of it.  This was also said on the big PVP Global meeting more than a month ago.  Stop letting your paranoia dictate facts.  

Not what I am hearing right now and the week before that from GB players and leaders.

1 minute ago, Davos Seasworth said:

Not what I am hearing right now and the week before that from GB players and leaders.

They don't have to attack us if they don't want to I guess, but we'll be attacking them.  The PVP1 US and Brit players will make sure we're fighting each other.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Christendom said:

They don't have to attack us if they don't want to I guess, but we'll be attacking them.  The PVP1 US and Brit players will make sure we're fighting each other.  

Is this just due to the numbers?

3 hours ago, Farrago said:

Basically the upcoming wipe and bringing some version of the economy, crafting, and game mechanics currently being tested in the TB to the live server will make or break this game (at least for a long time). If the economy and other things work, the number of servers won't matter. If playable AND FUN, all servers will grow. If not, it won't matter that we're split up.

I don't believe this wipe will be fun for anyone unless they force the numbers. The game will die with this patch, or if they combine the servers so this update gets applied to a population it is being designed for, it will flourish. With split servers all servers, save for maybe pve, will die because there won't be enough players throughout the nations and clans to support such a grind. If they combine everything there will be. I am afraid that these two things are symbiotic, which isn't good for the current state, but will be later on.

Edited by OneEyedSnake
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Farrago said:

Basically the upcoming wipe and bringing some version of the economy, crafting, and game mechanics currently being tested in the TB to the live server will make or break this game (at least for a long time). If the economy and other things work, the number of servers won't matter. If playable AND FUN, all servers will grow. If not, it won't matter that we're split up.

You make sense Farrago,

I kept track of the players on each server during January until April before the big population drop from the wipe announcement.  Some players imagine that there are far more players if we combined both servers.  This is a faulty logic because when one server is at its peak the other server is at it's lowest. You don't end up with the peak of both servers playing simultaneously.  Combining may raise the populations, but insignificantly.

The averages for January to the end of March show PvP1= 260  PvP2 = 75 and if by some miracle we could force everyone into a single server we would average about 340
The maximum I saw during the same time period was PvP1 = 560 PvP2 = 120 and the highest combined population was = 660
But if we are rude and stuff the idea of a single server down people's throats we will loose players (probably from both). 

I don't know how many would quit if we start forcing people to play in a manner they detest but at the very best we could hope to increase the server by 80 players for an average. With about 660 max and 120 min.  Those are the best case scenarios.  The numbers will be less because of the players who will refuse to participate in forced play.

In the past we had to implement timers to kick idle players from the 3 servers.  With thousands playing these minor changes are really insignificant.

Combining Servers (not accounting for loss of players who prefer 2 server option)
Peak = +80
Average =+80
Minimum = +60

An additional 60-80 players spread out across the Caribbean, trading, crafting, sailing will not provide enough PvP opponents to keep the warriors happy.  At least not those who are impatient for lots of fights without any waiting.  

6 hours ago, Davos Seasworth said:

Merging all the servers now would be poorly timed. Stay the course. Diverting from the current course the Devs have set out with now will only prove disastrous. 

I don't get why folks just wait and see.  Yah I just said that and I"m like the one guy that hates the wait lately.   For all me know every one might end up on Global and we have the one server any way.  Many folks where locked on one server or the other cause of friends and how much stuff they had there.  With the wipe we won't be having anything to tie us down.  GLOBAL might BOMB and EU server might be the good one.  EU might BOMB (remember the Mirror split?) and be the best one.  HELL PvE Might beat every one and become the new main server....nah just joking on that one.   For all we know we might get a lot of return players and folks in most nations to give a best balance in most of the time zones for SEA, US, EU....lets just wait and see when the Patch Drops to live and the servers are given a clean slate.  Remember didn't they also say they will be given us all a one time change nation token just in case after it starts we want to switch to another nation to balance it out a bit more?  

I think we'll have the people that are still around and who have been kinda following the whole "who goes where" stuff on the forums, but probably 50% of the players will log in post wipe and they'll have no clue why there's a PvP EU and a PVP Global server? My personal reaction would be, roll with the one that has the highest population. Low server population is the number one reason people stop being interested to log in.

For RvR being the feature that kills the game, as soon as the wipe was announced all the RvR minded people stopped playing, about 50% of the server or even more.

I would love to see one server with all players on it, cause it was a ton of fun to have a 1000+ players on one server. I hope the devs also implement something so people can change over to another server within the first few weeks, cause as far as I have understood you can only redeem stuff on one server?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OneEyedSnake said:

•  Night flips will happen, but to both sides of the world equally, so who can really complain? (oh, they nightflipped us, *as they think back to the 20 times we nightflipped them*)

:rolleyes: I'll respond with your own words.

10 hours ago, OneEyedSnake said:

You seem to have made that up.

34 minutes ago, Aegir said:

:rolleyes: I'll respond with your own words.

in reference to literally how it has been happening. when a US player flips a port in their mid day it is a night flip in europe ;) i guess that wasnt obvious, sorry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

I don't get why folks just wait and see.  Yah I just said that and I"m like the one guy that hates the wait lately.   For all me know every one might end up on Global and we have the one server any way.  Many folks where locked on one server or the other cause of friends and how much stuff they had there.  With the wipe we won't be having anything to tie us down.  GLOBAL might BOMB and EU server might be the good one.  EU might BOMB (remember the Mirror split?) and be the best one.  HELL PvE Might beat every one and become the new main server....nah just joking on that one.   For all we know we might get a lot of return players and folks in most nations to give a best balance in most of the time zones for SEA, US, EU....lets just wait and see when the Patch Drops to live and the servers are given a clean slate.  Remember didn't they also say they will be given us all a one time change nation token just in case after it starts we want to switch to another nation to balance it out a bit more?  

just thought we would get a head start on possible fixes for whatever ends up going wrong hehe

Just now, OneEyedSnake said:

in reference to literally how it has been happening. when a US player flips a port in their mid day it is a night flip in europe ;) i guess that wasnt obvious, sorry.

Maybe on PvP2, might want to look into what was happening on PvP1 if you want to gauge what happens when population numbers are higher.

Just now, Aegir said:

Maybe on PvP2, might want to look into what was happening on PvP1 if you want to gauge what happens when population numbers are higher.

oh i saw both sides night flipping for a while until one side quit and lost. 

2 minutes ago, OneEyedSnake said:

oh i saw both sides night flipping for a while until one side quit and lost. 

Hence why you should look again if that's what you think happened. I rest my case.

sure that why the devs dedicated to spit the servers because it was fair for both sides. US and there alliance had people in all the times zones and we did not, meaning they could attack us when we where asleep and we could not do the same.    

Just now, Aegir said:

Hence why you should look again if that's what you think happened. I rest my case.

i was there for several port battles that were in the european night. and saw several flips from europe day and american night. thats a night flip? is it not? or do night flips only happen to europeans? 

2 minutes ago, OneEyedSnake said:

i was there for several port battles that were in the european night. and saw several flips from europe day and american night. thats a night flip? is it not? or do night flips only happen to europeans? 

but you had people in your alliance that could fight for you in that time zone and we did not