Game-Labs Forum

Just now, Bart Smith said:

PvE is temporary as you prolly know. For next year or so.

"Next year or so" quite optimistic in if this game will survive that long, and given the reputation for thing to be held back by at 100%, more like half a decade. 

4 minutes ago, OneEyedSnake said:

do you know what west of mexico is?

Yes. Why? The plan to expand the map to the Pacific coast was abandoned by devs long ago. And the plan to put a PvE-are in the Gulf of Mexico was shut down by the players from the PvE-server.

8 minutes ago, OneEyedSnake said:

what part of the world mate? I live in a part of the world that is similar to the Himalayas. and can still play... also you negate the ability to improve servers...

The EU server is completely inaccessible to a lot of SEA players. The US server is inaccessible from some parts of Eastern Europe afaik.

11 minutes ago, OneEyedSnake said:

why do you just assume this? why do you assume there wont be US players in spain and EU players in US?

In Spain, probably. Danmark-Norge and Sweden however will never have a sustainable US population unless active balancing mechanics are implemented. And it's not an assumption. It's an observable fact from one and a half year of testing.

I don't get why we are repeating ourselves from a few months ago. Make a suggestion to actually make a global server work and I'm all ears. I wanted a global server to work and I would like it to be viable, but until devs have some brilliant idea to make it happen the best way going forward is splitting the servers. 

• Like 2

Spain cant nightflip back because US have allies in the EU primetime too. Spain (and his allies) fight against people in primetime and against ghost while sleep. Do you remember 13th street nightmare films?? Freddy Kruger didn't play fair...

You are a new player if I trust in your forum account birthdate. The flipping ports was a problem since the first day that conquest ports patch came. Because that, they bringing the window conquest and it was a bad solution too. It was restrictive too and factions set the time when their enemies sleep.

The best and only good idea is servers with wide time restriccions for the mayority of people's primetime.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OneEyedSnake said:

"Next year or so" quite optimistic in if this game will survive that long, and given the reputation for thing to be held back by at 100%, more like half a decade. 

Well depend on two major things: finish of development and make game more playable and community - people.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, OneEyedSnake said:

I dont believe there would ever be an empty PB. since US would fight each other in our times. And EU would fight each other in their times. Remember, this is combining everyone, there are more than just one nation playing this game. The only tiems port battles were empty where when the servers were/ are split, it is nightflipped, and there isnt a high enough population from the other side of the world on that server, since they are on the other server to show up and viably fight. This way there would be enough to show up and viably fight. 

wow.. that's just rich.. Where have you been for the past 6 months before they announced the wipe? If you'd care to read the many, many, many, many threads about nightflipping you'd know just how insane that notion is. If the devs hadn't announced a wipe 2-4 months before it actually came (and yes we're still waiting for it), then the pop points would be a lot better than what they are now.

1 minute ago, Bearwall said:

wow.. that's just rich.. Where have you been for the past 6 months before they announced the wipe? If you'd care to read the many, many, many, many threads about nightflipping you'd know just how insane that notion is. If the devs hadn't announced a wipe 2-4 months before it actually came (and yes we're still waiting for it), then the pop points would be a lot better than what they are now.

Or its because the servers are split so there arent enough players to fight each other. Yea, and all the threads about night flipping are by european players that just suck at this game, to be completely honest. 

16 minutes ago, OneEyedSnake said:

Its difficult to understand because you assume for some reason that only EU players matter. And that somehow players on while you are asleep is causing you to not have action as though that is the only time players are on which is blatantly obviously a lie. I think you just want it easy.

Your claim is ridiculous. Just because someone doesn't play on the same server as you doesn't mean they don't want you to enjoy a good game as much as they do. 

17 minutes ago, OneEyedSnake said:

and vise versa, i have already ran into around 10 players that are done with this game, who have played longer than me, since the server set up is exactly the same as it is now. NA has never been lower and neither has EU. More of the same is going to kill the game, and it will be the fault of players that kept it the same.

Players leave for all sorts of reasons. This is a game in Alpha. Just because we are loosing players now doesn't mean the game is dead. At release players will flood into the game again, whether we have 10 players online on the servers tomorrow or 1000. And if we want the game to be populated and enjoyable until then, the best thing is to get this wipe and patch done so devs can promote the game and have a discount. And splitting the servers will plug the hole of scores of players leaving the game because of nightflips and defence timers and similar issues which has driven away countless players since the beginning of EA. Sure. Players will still leave the game for other reasons, but this is an easy hole to plug.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Intrepido said:

No to empty port battles.

I dont mind if I workflipped you or you nightflipped me, it is boring for both.

If you have too many servers you won't have opponents either so take it or leave it.

11 minutes ago, Pada said:

RvR is the root of evil in this game. Cut it out and the game will sprout.

hmmmmm

initially OW did not have port battles. Port battles were requested by players. Just like crafting and alliances and buildings. 

hmmm

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, admin said:

hmmmmm

initially OW did not have port battles. Port battles were requested by players. Just like crafting and alliances and buildings. 

hmmm

You're in a saucy mood today :D

reading your comments today has been very enjoyable and has made work bearable. I thank you.

Edited by Davos Seasworth
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Pada said:

realm vs realm is okay the bigger problem is that RvR is the only option for pvp which i have been trying to get through the devs about.

RvR limits players to fight each other under the banner of the AI kings so players dont get to control ANYTHING they just fight for colored dots on a map.

This game will sprout when RvR is a limited option but the bigger option is that PLAYERS and their CLANS can take over ports and fight each other over the ports FOR THEMSELVES not for the AI.

maybe it is a coding or engine limitation or just a dev choice, i dont know. However i am not seeing any indication that players will ever be able to take over and own, control ports for their own clan and create their own little countries. If that happened and the Devs opened up the map to the entire world, THAT would make this game sprout!!

and some would say "oh thats not historical" but who cares, this game is not historical in any way fashion or form, its a GAME, mold it so that more players can enjoy it not get a history lesson from it.

51 minutes ago, Rebel Witch said:

realm vs realm is okay the bigger problem is that RvR is the only option for pvp which i have been trying to get through the devs about.

<snip>

i am not seeing any indication that players will ever be able to take over and own, control ports for their own clan and create their own little countries. If that happened and the Devs opened up the map to the entire world, THAT would make this game sprout!!

And ruin it for many others. This is the one flaw in EVE Online in my opinion, but within its context it makes sense. It isn't the only model that makes things work, and the idea of the Clans being more like the Dutch East India Company fighting for control of resources makes more sense in a game with this historic setting. I don't think PBs should be ended by any means. I do, however, think they should be difficult to set up if territory is the prize.

One of the issues that PB enthusiasts complain about is how they have to fight their way through screeners to get to the port and then deal with pursuers if they lose and have to sail home again. Why is that? I would think this would be more PVP -- isn't that what they want? Or is it just big fights with big ships? The devs have a solution for that, which doesn't have an effect on those of us in the OW.

But to be more on topic...

@OneEyedSnake The idea was floated before and came under considerable challenge from a wide group of players. PvPers in Europe and the US, Asia, Aus/NZ, and others commented unfavorably for a number of reasons. PvE players don't want to be relegated to a small section of the map, or to a Pacific coast with nowhere to sail -- they are in it to experience sailing, trading and fighting in the Caribbean. They just don't care for the cutthroat competitiveness of PvP. Many actually liked the idea of having the Gulf as a PvE zone so they could support and even participate in PvP battles.

Many of those ideas, in your attitude, are dismissed. For example, just because your geography bears a similarity to the Himalayas don't think your infrastructure does. The lag from Texas sometimes gives me freezes and warps: not always, nor very bad, but I still get them. The distance from Colorado to Germany is 5,111 miles; from Australia it's 9,049:  Even at the speed of light it will take twice as long for a ping to get there.

It isn't necessarily a bad idea, just not a good one imo.

Edited by Challenge

1 hour ago, admin said:

hmmmmm

hmmm

I got to ask @admin if you are not a fan of these ideas then what is your idea for moving the map and providing content other then just sailing and radome pvp? Why not just use your ideas? After all you all are the dev, we are just offering suggestions. 

In addition, I like crafting and buildings, that's not to say they couldn't use some work.

Basically the upcoming wipe and bringing some version of the economy, crafting, and game mechanics currently being tested in the TB to the live server will make or break this game (at least for a long time). If the economy and other things work, the number of servers won't matter. If playable AND FUN, all servers will grow. If not, it won't matter that we're split up.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pada said:

1 hour ago, admin said:

hmmmmm

hmmm

RvR might be a cause for a lot of grief and negatives. But it is also an important reason why scores of people play the game and keep with it. The game looses a lot of players when RvR dies, even when we had just a port wipe last year, a lot of players stopped playing because they could not do any consequential RvR. A lot of the players that are the most active in the game an in the open world, and even do a lot of PvP, are mainly here for RvR. I don't think removing RvR would have the desired effect.

Without RvR there would be no point in such and extensive map. We could just as well constrain the map to just cover the Lesser Antilles. And we wouldn't really need more than 2 factions either.

• Like 2