Game-Labs Forum

As the title implies I believe it would be advantageous to only have a single PVP server.

• Higher population
    • which leads to more accurate testing
  •  Night flips will happen, but to both sides of the world equally, so who can really complain? (oh, they nightflipped us, *as they think back to the 20 times we nightflipped them*)
  • Saves on some confusion in the forums between pvpEU & NA
  • Smaller nations will be able to field 25 in a port battle
  • Will support the recent economic and crafting changes more since it brings in a larger teamwork based system 
  • Can have two servers directing towards the same map for everyone, much like how Call of Duty runs.
  • Server Ping actually isnt as bad as everyone makes it, I am in Colorado with a copper connection and get 199-300 ping on eu, which is actually very playable in this slower pace game... 
    • can of course optimize the servers more, especially if it turns out you are saving money... 
  • Perhaps higher retention rate of players since there will be more players, causing game to rise in the steam market = more players = more money

Of course the last one is a bit of a theory, but i believe it will be the case if more players stick around since there will be more help readily available to play the game at a more enjoyable rate.

The PVE players can of course keep their server, although, it would be cool to have them in the same server as the PVP players as well, and their safe zone could be. idk.... THAT BEAUTIFUL AREA WEST OF MEXICO IN THE PACIFIC. <--- wanted this to get seen. Which of course all players could access and leave accordingly. Perhaps trade wouldnt be as good over there, but still good enough to enjoy the trade, and enough ai on the open waters to enjoy just pve. 

How to balance the pve marks and pvp marks then? 

• a zone could be made so that it excludes certain ships, somewhat like port battles do. A ship made with the lowered PVE amount of marks would only be able to combat in the west Pacific side of Mexico. For example...
    • "Santissima" is the normal name. "Santissima" notice the italics, could be the name for a ship that can only combat in the pve region. I am sure this could be coded in, since other exclusions have been in this game.

I hope these ideas are seriously considered, because I believe the main problem to be (and I have been playing for over a year and a few months now) too low of a population. On the basis that when pvpNA had 1k+ players this was the most fun game to play ever, period. When there is now 50-120 on, it sucks. A LOT. With the idea of 3 servers, this is what makes this problem, with a SINGLE unified server, it would have at the very least a few hundred players at most times, which would be fantastic! 

• Also, the nightly maintenance thing. Id say make it noon in the middle of an ocean where nowhere plays for 1 hour, OR even 
    • Make a daily downloadable hot fix, like Gaijin does when it changes its servers' settings. 

Godspeed all,

OneEyedSnake

• Like 7

Just now, Intrepido said:

No to empty port battles.

I dont mind if I workflipped you or you nightflipped me, it is boring for both.

I dont believe there would ever be an empty PB. since US would fight each other in our times. And EU would fight each other in their times. Remember, this is combining everyone, there are more than just one nation playing this game. The only tiems port battles were empty where when the servers were/ are split, it is nightflipped, and there isnt a high enough population from the other side of the world on that server, since they are on the other server to show up and viably fight. This way there would be enough to show up and viably fight. 

What Intrepido says, was demostrated by far since the day the conquest patch went live in september of 2015. Nothing new behind the sun.

People from two different timezones can't to play at the same server and in the same time.

4 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

You should know it is not going to be true.

Lets set an easy and fast example: US vs Spain.

Spain, in the new PVP Global server is empty.

US, on the contrary, full of guys from the US and even from the EU timezone (7up).

So, the EU playerbase of Spain is going to flight against 7UP during the EU primetime and the US guys are going to nightflip spanish ports without defense.

This is a bullshit, a bullshit quite convenient for the US nation I would say.

Who says no US players will play spain? You seem to have made that up.

Dont fool me.

I heard the first entire meeting, I dont see any clan recruitment topic for Spain for the Global PVP server.

And what is most important, a thing you will never control is that all new player is going to feed GB/pirates/US. Spain/Sweden/DN arent popular choices.

That first meeting has been largely agreed to not be accurate. No danes even showed up from PVPEU, or Spaniards. 

As far as your last point, thats how it always has been yes. It makes no difference how you divide the servers, it will be that way, so whats your point? 

A combined server provides higher population, without that this game will die. Especially with the new changes they are implementing. 

6 minutes ago, OneEyedSnake said:

Who says no US players will play spain? You seem to have made that up.

Yeah, like the big quantity of south american players who would equilibrate the balance the last year, the problem is that never happened. The same with North american players playing Spain.

• Like 1

Just now, Siegfried said:

Yeah, like the big quantity of south american players who would equilibrate the balance the last year, the problem is that never happened. The same with North american players playing Spain.

so what if Spain gets flipped though? they can do it right back though. And remember, since we are just assuming things, Spain used to have a plenty of US players before, certainly some will come back with the massive patch and wipe yes? 

3 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

Dont fool me.

I heard the first entire meeting

I would pretty much toss that meeting out the door. Already word is coming down the wire that US and GB will not be fighting each other. Apparently in another meeting they voiced they will do no such thing. I guess they only like picking on small targets rather than having a good fight.

My point is, you balance the nations today with US players joining. But tomorrow the balance has gone. Dont you understand?

Nightflips did more damage to the EU communities that you realize. These changes and nightflips is going to kill the game faster than you think.

we had aussies and chinese nightflip us in US. its like you think you were the only one that it happened to? You know why we didnt cry as much, because we did something about it, and it wasnt as bad as you make it. I also played on both servers btw. ;)

What game would be if you flip in our night and the next day we flip in your night? This is naval action, battles in real time. Not the chess game that we can play by classic mail even.

combined server = more players to player at ALL times = more action. what do you want 50 players across the whole map or a few hundred? 

• Like 1

You're not bringing anything new to the discussion that hasn't already been brought up a hundred times. Putting PvE in special areas on the PvP-servers was a good idea, but was shut down by the PvE community themselves. 

Player retention would be lower, not higher from your suggestion. And with only one server, wherever we placed it it would simply be unplayable for players from some parts of the world. 

2 minutes ago, OneEyedSnake said:

combined server = more players to player at ALL times = more action. what do you want 50 players across the whole map or a few hundred? 

A combined server doesn't necessarily mean more players. What we saw on PvP1 was that we lost a lot of players because of it. Both servers would be healthier if they both focused properly on their geographic and time-zone vicinity.

4 minutes ago, OneEyedSnake said:

we had aussies and chinese nightflip us in US. its like you think you were the only one that it happened to? You know why we didnt cry as much, because we did something about it, and it wasnt as bad as you make it. I also played on both servers btw. ;)

Only because you could "nightflip" them back. But on one global server some nations will cover all timezones and some won't. So Night-flipping will only be available to some nations, the nations that already have every advantage.

• Like 6

I simply dont care when I switch off my pc for going to bed who is playing NA. 

I fight and enjoy fights with players on my same primetime, not with entities of the night.

youd have more players during your time than if the servers were split..... AND they could remove or increase the amount of port battles allowed to be set in certain time frames, obviously. 

EU server will be a lot of players when we are not sleeping and maybe 10 when we are sleeping and nobody cares.

Is difficult to have more action only because other timezone guys are online while I sleep. I don't know WHY is so difficult to understand this.

Maybe is the global server that will be empty, but you can log in the EU server if you want. Don't care in what server you play, while other sleep they are not online.

5 minutes ago, OneEyedSnake said:

Just now, Anolytic said:

You're not bringing anything new to the discussion that hasn't already been brought up a hundred times. Putting PvE in special areas on the PvP-servers was a good idea, but was shut down by the PvE community themselves. 

Player retention would be lower, not higher from your suggestion. And with only one server, wherever we placed it it would simply be unplayable for players from some parts of the world. 

A combined server doesn't necessarily mean more players. What we saw on PvP1 was that we lost a lot of players because of it. Both servers would be healthier if they both focused properly on their geographic and time-zone vicinity.

Only because you could "nightflip" them back. But on one global server some nations will cover all timezones and some won't. So Night-flipping will only be available to some nations, the nations that already have every advantage.

do you know what west of mexico is? 

"Player retention would be lower, not higher from your suggestion. And with only one server, wherever we placed it it would simply be unplayable for players from some parts of the world. "

what part of the world mate? I live in a part of the world that is similar to the Himalayas. and can still play... also you negate the ability to improve servers...

"Only because you could "nightflip" them back. But on one global server some nations will cover all timezones and some won't. So Night-flipping will only be available to some nations, the nations that already have every advantage."

why do you just assume this? why do you assume there wont be US players in spain and EU players in US? 

EU server will be a lot of players when we are not sleeping and maybe 10 when we are sleeping and nobody cares.

Is difficult to have more action only because other timezone guys are online while I sleep. I don't know WHY is so difficult to understand this.

Maybe is the global server that will be empty, but you can log in the EU server if you want. Don't care in what server you play, while other sleep they are not online.

Its difficult to understand because you assume for some reason that only EU players matter. And that somehow players on while you are asleep is causing you to not have action as though that is the only time players are on which is blatantly obviously a lie. I think you just want it easy. 

Mr.  OneEyedSnake

I think that you are mistaken when you assume forcing everyone onto one server will result in a significant increase to the number of players.

For a long time there have only been hundreds of players and when one server is busiest the other server is the least active.  At any given time the peak will not likely be much more than the peaks we have now.  You may get a couple dozen more players on at any one time.  Given that some will be sailing, doing PvE, trading, crafting you will have very few players available who will fight you at the location you have chosen to hunt.  

Plus if you force players onto a single server you will lose some players who disagree with your logic and see removing the option to choose a server as ineffective.

Final release with solid content and popularity will provide higher numbers.   

• Like 1

Just now, Macjimm said:

Mr.  OneEyedSnake

I think that you are mistaken when you assume forcing everyone onto one server will result in a significant increase to the number of players.

For a long time there have only been hundreds of players and when one server is busiest the other server is the least active.  At any given time the peak will not likely be much more than the peaks we have now.  You may get a couple dozen more players on at any one time.  Given that some will be sailing, doing PvE, trading, crafting you will have very few players available who will fight you at the location you have chosen to hunt.  

Plus if you force players onto a single server you will lose some players who disagree with your logic and see removing the option to choose a server as ineffective.

Final release with solid content and popularity will provide higher numbers.   

and vise versa, i have already ran into around 10 players that are done with this game, who have played longer than me, since the server set up is exactly the same as it is now. NA has never been lower and neither has EU. More of the same is going to kill the game, and it will be the fault of players that kept it the same.

Having two servers is not the best idea but ...there is no better found yet. There is absolutely no point to RvR for BOTH sides without proper fight. I can fully understand US players or Aussies but show me one game with such a low population like NA where its works properly - one server on all timezones.

Edited by Bart Smith
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, OneEyedSnake said:

Its difficult to understand because you assume for some reason that only EU players matter. And that somehow players on while you are asleep is causing you to not have action as though that is the only time players are on which is blatantly obviously a lie. I think you just want it easy. 

No, I don't want easy flip ports for my or the enemy. Is not easy when you have enemies who fight back like in a timed server. Was easy mode for US conquer Spain or another EU faction in a global unrestricted server.

I assume that because always happened in the past and present. Why would be different in the future? Anyway we can to test this new approach, if I am wrong they can merge again and all people will be happy.

• Like 2

We want fair. A fair fight which Spain have never got since this game launch in EA.

you want fair? ok spain, lets look at the map. especially the starting map with resources, and tell me about fair. also, you have never gotten it since EA launch? then how is keeping it the same going to change that? 

Just now, OneEyedSnake said:

you want fair? ok spain, lets look at the map. especially the starting map with resources, and tell me about fair. also, you have never gotten it since EA launch? then how is keeping it the same going to change that? 

Spain colonies were huge in this times. But i think you miss point - he said fair fight - equal numbers but because time zone not happen often.

• Like 1

Just now, Bart Smith said:

Spain colonies were huge in this times. But i think you miss point - he said fair fight - equal numbers but because time zone not happen often.

it will go both ways though. and with it being open all the time, US spain will get fights and EU spain will get fights. I know for a fact there will be US spain players actually. 

Did you see how Spain ended in the last wipe? Being even reduced to 3-4 ports by the US+GB.

And, US nightflipped most of the ports. Fair?

and why didnt you flip them back? where were your allies? Seems to me like spain just quit. On PVPNA EVERY nation has been one ported, save for US, but they got close. often. Guess what, they all came back eventually. quite Fair.