Game-Labs Forum

NavalActionTool - MAP

15 hours ago, UnicornBuster said:

Thanks, I will change that ^^

EDIT :

My tool is not meant to be specially historical. The graphic speaks volumes.
But I am not against adding some historical elements. (Maybe even changes in graphics little by little)

I have simplified my code and I can now inject the points via a table.
I found this: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Roman_24-wind_rose.svg

Are the names correct? I found others with different names ...
Here is the table of names :

angleTab[0] = ["Septentrio", "N"];
angleTab[1] = ["Gallicus", "NbE"];
angleTab[2] = ["Supernas", "NNE"];
angleTab[3] = ["Aquilo", "NE"];
angleTab[4] = ["Boreas", "ENE"];
angleTab[5] = ["Carbas", "EbN"];
angleTab[6] = ["Solanus", "E"];
angleTab[7] = ["Ornithiae", "EbS"];
angleTab[8] = ["Eurocircias", "ESE"];
angleTab[9] = ["Eurus", "SE"];
angleTab[10] = ["Vulturnus", "SSE"];
angleTab[11] = ["Leuconotus", "SbE"];
angleTab[12] = ["Auster", "S"];
angleTab[13] = ["Altanus", "SbW"];
angleTab[14] = ["Libonotus", "SSW"];
angleTab[15] = ["Africus", "SW"];
angleTab[16] = ["Subversperus", "WSW"];
angleTab[17] = ["Argestes", "WbS"];
angleTab[18] = ["Favonius", "W"];
angleTab[19] = ["Estesiae", "WbN"];
angleTab[20] = ["Circius", "WNW"];
angleTab[21] = ["Caurus", "NW"];
angleTab[22] = ["Corus", "NNW"];
angleTab[23] = ["Thrascias", "NbW"];

I don't think we need the latin.  The abreviations look good

The layout is perfect for long trips and that is the primary use of maps:

08b6b4e3e35b3408b435be218d5c375d.png

It gets a tiny bit awkward with short to medium voyages:

eaddae08b38156df906da07456d33982.png

If scaling is a fairly easy thing to do it might be worth it?

Also...

The speed in your tool is set to instance readout. Since all navigation is done in OW it makes more sense to use the OW speed readout(?).

If you set speed and then change waypoints the speed setting changes (bug?):

69c3055d99812c5dd621d2c8c758c8c9.gif

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jodgi said:

If scaling is a fairly easy thing to do it might be worth it?

Also...

The speed in your tool is set to instance readout. Since all navigation is done in OW it makes more sense to use the OW speed readout(?).

If you set speed and then change waypoints the speed setting changes (bug?):

Thank you for this illustrated return. Normally the problem is fixed ... and more.

Scaling  is not really easy thing to do(especially with theses roses of the winds), but I'm working on it.

(You will probably have to erase the navigation data.
Images and cached files.)

• Like 1

Thanks for adding resources. I think you should rename Resources produced --> Available Resources. Could you make text look centered/bold like this:

---------

Available resources:

Teak

Oak

Iron

-----------

Also, could you add a nice button that says 'Clear Route', it would help remove preset points from the map. 

Thanks again. 

Edited by Ned Low
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Macjimm said:

I use to be able to set the speed.  I can't seem to find how to set the speed with the new update.

Since version 1.7: the speed is calculated automatically according to the direction of the wind.
For now, it is a fixed speed that ranges from 2 to 24.
On the left in "IG WIND" you can click in one direction to configure the wind. This then advances in real time.
If you want a lower speed you must place a false wind that at the start is close to the wind in front.

The next step is to calculate the change of wind according to the distance and the wind of departure to try to be closer to the reality if one touches nothing during the voyage.

If necessary I will add a way to disable the automatic wind, and configure its own.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ned Low said:

Thanks for adding resources. I think you should rename Resources produced --> Available Resources. Could you make text look centered/bold like this:

---------

Available resources:

Teak

Oak

Iron

-----------

Also, could you add a nice button that says 'Clear Route', it would help remove preset points from the map. 

Thanks again. 

Sure ^^. But I'm going to get back to the graphic aspect anyway.

Immersed in purely technical problems, for example, you had to see that the theme change was working but that the "paper" theme was sorely lacking in style.

On the 1.7 I lost a big part of my main file (f**** *#@!%#~ false manipulation :blink: ) which makes today I remake this part :ph34r:

For remove presets, for now you can just press  1 2 3 at the same time ;) but I would make a button later !

Edited by UnicornBuster
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, UnicornBuster said:

On the left in "IG WIND" you can click in one direction to configure the wind. This then advances in real time.
If you want a lower speed you must place a false wind that at the start is close to the wind in front.

Great tool, but I think the speed is not working very well atm.

Compare wind roses and estimated times

f854e3a906a14049b34c50826b022fda.png

0a53c6da1e114e3792cb62972b08f5e0.png

UPDATE v1.7 :

- Circular game wind :

How : you can setup the Wind direction by clicking on the white backgrounded rosas. Once. Now it is synchronized and advances in real time (IG time!).

At the moment the wind does not change during the journey. The speed is therefore constant from the wind at the starting point.

Fix :  the wind was disturbed close to the wind from opposite.

- Style map options (working on a more historical style map)

- replace "Resources Producted" by "Available resources"

- formatting of Available resources

- button to reset waypoints

I think it works now.

It will be necessary to adapt the speed by a factor variable. This is largely underestimated it seems to me.
But this will require a few trials ...
Before that I will finish the time calculation system.
In the meantime I will add the display of the speed taken into account for the calculation. (done)

Edited by UnicornBuster
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, UnicornBuster said:

Since version 1.7: the speed is calculated automatically according to the direction of the wind.

Mr UnicornBuster,

Thanks for the response.  I really enjoy sailing if I use the camera view at the deck level and sail a dead slow or battle speed (top speed of about 8 knots in a T Brig).  I am unable to set a false wind between 2-10 knots.  When sailing at higher speeds the ship feels like a high powered speed boat.

I liked the previous version of your map when I could set the speed.  Not sure if it is worth adding this feature as I may be the only player in Naval Action who sails slowly.  Most players don't like sailing in open world.    I can use the Burning Sail map or I can always chart my own course manually if you choose to exclude a speed input option.

35 minutes ago, Macjimm said:

Mr UnicornBuster,

Thanks for the response.  I really enjoy sailing if I use the camera view at the deck level and sail a dead slow or battle speed (top speed of about 8 knots in a T Brig).  I am unable to set a false wind between 2-10 knots.  When sailing at higher speeds the ship feels like a high powered speed boat.

I liked the previous version of your map when I could set the speed.  Not sure if it is worth adding this feature as I may be the only player in Naval Action who sails slowly.  Most players don't like sailing in open world.    I can use the Burning Sail map or I can always chart my own course manually if you choose to exclude a speed input option.

Mr Mcjimm, ;)

Don't worry. The function to select a fixed speed will surely be back in the next update ^^ As for the grid!

• Like 1

Very good work so far, may I suggest couple other things only if you like the idea. This is what I have with textures added.

Add texture to green color (grass)

Before

a2uL9Ql.png

After

qgok8NO.jpg

Water + Grass texture (Opacity on Grass 80%, Water Opacity 20%)

tYZR2JE.jpg

If you use Photoshop here is a grass texture pack that you can use:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwn-MuTOHbZRRTJsdXlDR2wyT00/view?usp=sharing

I used Photoshop (blending option+pattern) to customize the texture, I can also add mountains and other cool illustrations if needed.  Let me know if you need any help with textures. I think we can make this look awesome. 

Water texture used:

l9YC35O.jpg

Thanks again for you hard work. 

Edited by Ned Low

15 hours ago, Ned Low said:

Very good work so far, may I suggest couple other things only if you like the idea. This is what I have with textures added.

Add texture to green color (grass)

Water + Grass texture (Opacity on Grass 80%, Water Opacity 20%)

If you use Photoshop here is a grass texture pack that you can use:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwn-MuTOHbZRRTJsdXlDR2wyT00/view?usp=sharing

I used Photoshop (blending option+pattern) to customize the texture, I can also add mountains and other cool illustrations if needed.  Let me know if you need any help with textures. I think we can make this look awesome. 

Water texture used:

Thanks again for you hard work. 

Hey Ned Low, yes I use photoshop and many others, I am a graduate graphic designer for many years. But this theme will stay like this because it is in SVG (vectorial) and must remain so because my code accepts images of 1024 * 1024 only at the moment. So if you zoom in your lawn it will be really not beautiful!

I will provide a basic theme, if there are any who want to try to do theirs.

And I tried to put water, it's very aggressive for the eyes ... I still bleed! At least water should follow the pan and zoom. Business to follow ^^

But I will first finish the stories of speed (adding a button for fixed speed and calculation of speed according to the distance) before I worry about the graphics. Because the map is not easily usable at the moment.

Edited by UnicornBuster
  • Like 2

On 12/05/2017 at 5:10 PM, Macjimm said:

Update 1.7.5 : the speed selector is back ^^

It was more complicated than expected, but it is important to have the choice...

I tried everything several times, but please tell me if you see an anomaly.

• Like 1

UnicornBuster,

Thanks for your improvements.  Will be nice when you are happy enough with this map to create PvP2 and PvE1.

I've noticed that the map gets a little difficult to read when zooming in.  The city icons and shorelines are fairly thick.  End up having to guess at the location of the selection points.

7 hours ago, UnicornBuster said:

Update 1.7.5 : the speed selector is back ^^

It was more complicated than expected, but it is important to have the choice...

I tried everything several times, but please tell me if you see an anomaly.

I tried testing the speed to see if it was accurate.  On the first leg it was a few minutes slow over 17 min.

The second leg was less than half the length.  It was supposed to take 7 min but took 16 min.  This could be due to the difficulty picking points when zoomed in and accounting for the speed reduction with heading into the wind.  I like that you are allowing for speed changes due to wind.  Could you do that with selected speeds also?

13 hours ago, Macjimm said:

I tried testing the speed to see if it was accurate.  On the first leg it was a few minutes slow over 17 min.

The second leg was less than half the length.  It was supposed to take 7 min but took 16 min.  This could be due to the difficulty picking points when zoomed in and accounting for the speed reduction with heading into the wind.

Yes! It will require that I set the speed with a factor. Several tests will follow... I do not yet have the question of precision, but that of functioning ;)

I will work more zoom resizing ^^

13 hours ago, Macjimm said:

I like that you are allowing for speed changes due to wind.  Could you do that with selected speeds also?

Huum . What is the point ? The direction of the wind gives the speed ... So choosing a speed is not useful.

Can you be talking about choosing a boat that will have different speeds to the winds? If that is it is something that will come after the complete calculation of the wind. Otherwise I will not get away with it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Macjimm said:

Thanks for your improvements.  Will be nice when you are happy enough with this map to create PvP2 and PvE1.

As you probably already know the servers will change, the game too. The WIPE is likely to upset everything I've done. So I wait for the servers to be reconfigured to add pvp2 and pve1. I Think it is not for the number of players that there is currently on the game that it will change something... (Everything is paused ... Hopefully the players come back. But there will undoubtedly be substantial losses :/ )

We'll see, but I'll make that change afterwards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UnicornBuster said:

. What is the point ? The direction of the wind gives the speed ... So choosing a speed is not useful.

I misunderstood, I thought  that there are two choices now.

• first choice; accept a faster max speed and your map will allow for the changes in speed due to the direction of the wind (in RT).  The direction of the wind at the start of the journey can be selected.
  • second choice; select a lower max speed but the speed for the journey will not vary.

I see that the speed will always be an average.  you are allowing players to select the average speed by  two methods.  I was hoping that we might select a max speed and the direction of the wind at the start and your map could calculate the total time with allowance for the reduced speed due to sailing close hauled and in irons.  But surely that would be much too complex given the variation between vessels.

It's a bit long to come, but here's to illustrate what I'm trying to do. And it seems like I'm about to get there.

The time is still not well settled. No worries about it.

I think adding a button to calculate in accelerated according to the wind the time that will take a trip.

Do not hesitate to say what you think. :)

• Like 2