Game-Labs Forum

Instead of having vessels made entirely of one wood and an additional trim, the shipbuilder can choose the frames wood (structure) and the planking wood.

The stats affected in shipbuilding are:

• HPs
  • Thicknesses (as % from now on)
  • Leaks resistance
  • Crew resistance (splinters)
  • Fire spread resistance
  • Speed
  • Acceleration
  • Turn

The woods are:

• Light woods
    • Fir (high availability, best speed but much splinters and fire spread)
    • Bermuda Cedar (same speed, more tankiness)
  • Medium woods
    • Mahogany (good crew and fire resistances)
    • Teak (slightly less speed and more tankiness)
  • Heavy woods
    • Oak (high availability, lower stats)
    • Sabicu (good all-round)
    • White Oak (more thickness at the cost of lower other stats)
  • Very heavy woods (frames only)
    • Caguairan (more tankiness but less speed than heavy woods)
    • Live Oak (less speed, good crew resistance)

Also the vessels loose thickness when damaged, depending on the frames wood weight category.

• The goal is to balance the shipbuilding bonuses while enabling different combat tactics depending on the wood benefits.
  • Only Fir and Oak are available for growing in buildings.
  • For the other woods, the forest buildings are removed and the woods are produced in towns and have to be traded. The woods are distributed quite historically.

/discuss

(Detailed stats & simulator)

FRAMES PLANKING
  Fir Bermuda Cedar Mahogany Teak Oak Sabicu White Oak Caguairan Live Oak Fir Bermuda Cedar Mahogany Teak Oak Sabicu White Oak Crew Space
Structure HPs -3.% -2.5% 2.% 3.% 6.5% 9.% 8.5% 13.% 12.% -1.5% -1.% 1.5% 2.5% 2.5% 4.% 3.5% -1.5%
Armor HPs -1.% -0.5% 0.5% 0.5% 2.% 2.5% 2.% 3.% 2.5% -1.% -0.5% 0.5% 1.% 1.5% 2.% 1.5% -0.5%
Thickness - 4.% - 4.% - 2.% 0.% 2.% 2.% 4.% 6.% 6.% - 4.% - 4.% - 2.% 0.% 2.% 2.% 4.% 0.%
Leaks Resistance -1.5% -0.5% -1.% 2.% -1.5% 1.% 1.% 2.% 2.% -0.5% 0.5% 0.% 1.% -0.5% 1.% 0.5% -0.5%
Crew Resistance -1.5% 0.% 0.5% 0.5% -0.5% -0.5% -1.% -3.% 0.% -5.% -1.% 2.% 1.% -2.% -3.% -4.% -2.5%
Fire Increase Resistance -6.% -4.5% 9.% 7.% -3.% 1.5% 0.% 9.% 6.% -2.% -1.5% 3.% 3.% -1.% 0.5% 0.% -1.%
Max Speed 5.% 5.% 4.% 3.% 1.% 1.% 0.% -4.% -6.% 2.% 2.% 1.5% 1.75% -0.25% 0.5% 0.5% -0.25%
Acceleration 5.% 5.% 4.% 3.% 1.% 1.% 0.% -4.% -6.% 2.% 2.% 1.5% 1.75% -0.25% 0.5% 0.5% -0.25%
Rudder Turn rate 2.5% 2.5% 2.% 1.5% 0.5% 0.5% 0.% -2.% -3.% 1.% 1.% 0.75% 0.88% -0.13% 0.25% 0.25% -0.13%
Turn acceleration 2.5% 2.5% 2.% 1.5% 0.5% 0.5% 0.% -2.% -3.% 1.% 1.% 0.75% 0.88% -0.13% 0.25% 0.25% -0.13%
Crew                                 10.%

Jd6e8v5.png

Shipbuilding tooltips will be added at a later stage but until then here is a simulator for PvPers and crafters:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1swZ70gctKcZTHYrDJfqtyZf24vhByZt4F-3TphCYgN4/edit#gid=1055841935

To be able to change the inputs:

• if you have a google account, select 'File' then 'Make a copy'
  • to use it with another program, select 'File' then 'Download as'

• Like 32

Sweet!

Also looks like i got quite a bit of work to do for when the patch hits live on the wiki :/

• Like 8

Now...this looks good.

The GOLDEN question is....drum roll (as a golden question truly requires) where does one acquire such fancy pants woods from....?

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd for a bonus point are they in the testbed at the mo ?

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd the Pissed de Resistance......at the moment you can only craft OAK bits yes ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OlavDeng2 said:

Sweet!

Also looks like i got quite a bit of work to do for when the patch hits live on the wiki :/

Indeed, my OCD is triggered.

This looks really good on paper: Low multipliers and lots of perceived build choice.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Jeheil said:

where does one acquire such fancy pants woods from....?

15 minutes ago, Barberouge said:

For the other woods, the forest buildings are removed and the woods are produced in towns and have to be traded.

• Like 1

Just now, Intrepido said:

Ok, I dont have any clue what wood I want for my ships. Thats good.

Aye xD

Fir Renommee...or the live oak sabicu frigate...i am not sure, yet. :D

3 minutes ago, jodgi said:

Oh bugger didnt see they are NPC produced...can't find em in the trader tool, if someone finds any fancy woods post it up plox.

ALSO.....you don't seem to be able to 'click' to build in the ship making screen, only Oak. So methinks not in the game yet.

• Like 1

I think the population on the devtest server is too low anyway, to get a decent testing out of it, yet. It is all about the labor hours. :) 

Edited by Tyrdael

• For the other woods, the forest buildings are removed and the woods are produced in towns and have to be traded. The woods are distributed quite historically.

Ok how exactly is it traded if we can't produce it to trade?    You have to obtain it some how?  Don't tell me the very small amount that is produced by that port that is pot on the shop?  You know how the fine woods was?

I really hoping this doesn't turn into Fine Woods 2.0....we all ready been talking that a lot of these changes are feeling like that all over again with all the grind all ready.

But if none of this is in the game yet there really isn't any point....let me know when you get that patched updated and installed.....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Ok how exactly is it traded if we can't produce it to trade?    You have to obtain it some how?  Don't tell me the very small amount that is produced by that port that is pot on the shop?  You know how the fine woods was?

I really hoping this doesn't turn into Fine Woods 2.0....we all ready been talking that a lot of these changes are feeling like that all over again with all the grind all ready.

But if none of this is in the game yet there really isn't any point....let me know when you get that patched updated and installed.....

I think the amount will exceed the fine wood gate. Probably. :D

Even if not, you still have other wood types at your disposal, so if there is no white oak, well, grab something else instead. 

Edit: you might eventually not get your dream trim, but at least you WILL be able to build a ship after all.

Edited by Tyrdael
  • Like 1

Can never, ever, go wrong with Teak.

I truly hope "naval architecture" to become a bigger thing with more complexity instead of just a sideshow.

Might even put the cutlass above the fireplace and dedicate myself to arm worthy corsairs for shares. 

• Like 1

Interesting... I'll go with Mahogany/Teak for OW i guess?

If you want Fire resistance to be a thing, you might wanna think about actually making fire damage your ship right away, not only when it goes into fire shock (if it does already the damage is to small to make this stat viable).

I like this a lot. Please deploy it at the testbed server.

Just one thing, ports have to produce good quantities. Austerity dont help here at all.

4 minutes ago, Jeheil said:

if someone finds any fancy woods post it up plox.

Nothing available is Christiansted or Frederiksted.

1 minute ago, Intrepido said:

I like this a lot. Please deploy it at the testbed server.

Just one thing, ports have to produce good quantities. Austerity dont help here at all.

its on testbed only prob atm is u only able to make oak planks

2 minutes ago, snowy2 said:

Version to save time for the colour blind (three of the lines were the same colour):

Here's a temporary quickshitfix:

b05f59f430610b28245b7ef1e13a8c78.png

• Like 1

These new woods might be a good idea. In fact, I did like the fine woods, although the requirements where quite high considering the production rates. The problem was that too many players wanted live oak and bermuda cedar and especially the fine versions. The problem was that the production of fine woods was related to the production of normal version of the same wood because that created huge surpluses of normal woods.

Instead of having vessels made entirely of one wood and an additional trim, the shipbuilder can choose the frames wood (structure) and the planking wood.

• The goal is to balance the shipbuilding bonuses while enabling different combat tactics depending on the wood benefits.
  • Only Fir and Oak are available for growing in buildings.
  • For the other woods, the forest buildings are removed and the woods are sold by wood cutters in the cities. The woods are distributed quite historically.

I need to see this in the game first, but I wonder how this is going to work. A lot depends on availability of the special woods. Do you buy logs and craft parts yourself? Or do you buy planks and frame parts made of different woods?

Can you see which woods are potentially available in the port even if the wood is sold out? I hope there are no European traders which produce unlimited amounts of woods, because that did not work earlier. It was too easy to buy everything you need if you were rich enough. How do you prevent rich players using huge buy contracts with high príces creating monopolies? 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, katerholzig said:

its on testbed only prob atm is u only able to make oak planks

It is not on testbed, only part of it is the ship crafting part.  Unless some one finds the new wood.   I can still produce Mahogany so the production buildings are still there and it's not port produced.   They basically gave us a half bit of something and nothing.....

I honestly thought with the 1 dura stuff we wehre going to make it easier to build ships so folks can get into them easily after they sink.  Apparently that means only oak and fir ships....this is so sounding like another Fine Wood 2.0 but I can't even be proven wrong cause they didn't even put it all into the testbed.  Just tibits to tease.  Oh and now you can't craft any ship other than crewspace or....well that is it...just a crewspace trim.

Will we be getting more warehouse capacity?

With the introduction of all these new types of planking and frames will the warehouse size be increased. The way the crafting menus work you are not able to craft just enough for your current need and usually end up with some extra bits that will take space in your warehouse. e.g. I need 120 planks to build something but I can only craft planks in multiples of 50's so I would be left with 30. For a crafter building many different builds these extras will soon take up all available warehouse space.

• Like 7