Game-Labs Forum

Star Citizen

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Is anyone playing the Alpha of Star Citizen o planning to buy it later on?

It's basically the next gen space mmo, by the legendary chris roberts, and as of now it has an ever growing funding of close to 150 millions, crowdfunded.

It is already recognized as a technical masterpiece in the works, althought there are some reservations about the final product once it will come out and the price of the ships ( initially got the game with campaign included, with a basic aurora XL for 25 dollar at some sale ). The price of anything more than basic stuff is to finance the game ( (5k for a ship made of pixels? wtf!!)

Got a carrack with a friend, as well as a terrapin. ( converted from a banu merchantman ).

There are plenty of videos around about the game itself, but in case you've seen some here is a video of the separate solo/co-op campaign instead of the MMO.

From already playing the game with friends, we are all having a blast even thought it's just the alpha full of bugs, from small groups of fighters, to multi crewing larger ships, via FPS onboard space stations or on the surface, or inside the ships themselves.

I definitely recommend it if you can get it for like 25-30 dollars, whether you want to pay hundreds or thousands for more advanced ships instead of earning them in-game is up to you XD

Also remember that due to multicrew ships, there will be plenty of spots on other players large ships.

I reckon a majority of naval action player wants to sail the back sea of stars as well ( +damage model, fps boarding and whatever 150 millions can buy in features )

Here is my shameless referal code for you to get some in-game bonuses and credits and for me to probably not get a hello kitty vehicle if you are interested in getting the game: STAR-56QS-JJRX

As it is possible to be in multiple organisations ( clans ) we can make a naval action org in star citizen? Perhaps bring some SC players to naval action as well?

• Like 3

If this ever becomes a thing after those scandals and rumours, then sure, I along with everyone else will try it out.

How many years have they been taking people's money? This has to end in glory or utter failure with an angry mob who's lost 150 mill combined.

Everything looks and sounds really cool but there's this voice in my head that says it'll end up like a PVE shitfest.

2 hours ago, jodgi said:

If this ever becomes a thing after those scandals and rumours, then sure, I along with everyone else will try it out.

How many years have they been taking people's money? This has to end in glory or utter failure with an angry mob who's lost 150 mill combined.

Everything looks and sounds really cool but there's this voice in my head that says it'll end up like a PVE shitfest.

Yeah Kotaku has written some good pieces http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/09/30/what-to-make-of-star-citizen

52 minutes ago, rownd said:

They missed the boat long ago.  You can already play Elite Dangerous for reals, which has an established community.

imho it's very boring and lacks depth.But SC might suffer from lack of depth as well at release. Like someone from the inside said more or less in one of the kotaku articles, it will definitely be a technological achievement, but as a game he is not sure if it will be fun to play ( from memory ).

I enjoy its bugged alpha much more than i enjoy elite dangerous though.

SC is a phenomenon that has likely secured it's place in history, I like their ability to sing the tune of selling dreams that opens so many wallets upon mere promises, pretty pictures, thrilling videos and after years people still throw money at them furiously like they hate having it. The sheer elegance of removing money from people who have it more than they have sense is admirable.

Once the facade collapses and the folly revealed, I wonder if anyone still wants to crowdfund any future next-gen project? :DD

37 minutes ago, Captain Jean-Luc Picard said:

imho it's very boring and lacks depth.But SC might suffer from lack of depth as well at release.

If you think Elite "lacks depth" then you aren't in a good player group and need to find a new one.  It is the player groups and community that provides depth.  Elite is my main game.  I help our player group spread an conquer new systems and stations, and I have my own pet faction that I help spread and conquer.  The more systems and bases your factions take over, the more complicated that becomes.  Plus, there are always new ships to buy and outfit and bling up.  There are always new landscapes to see. 

original.jpg

original.jpg

Edited by rownd
  • Like 2

Star Citizen is great.  I played on a free weekend once.  I will buy this game when if it is finished.

I enjoy Elite Dangerous even though the graphics are not as good at Star Citizen.  There is lots of content.   I'm still captivated by the trading and bounty hunting.  Haven't touched mining, passengers, or all the other stuff.  The best things about the Elite Dangerous is I can keep my same ships, rank and assets and switch between solo play, public and private servers.  It is very open and flexible and not forcing all players into competitive combat.  And Elite Dangerous allows gameplay with all of the HUD display turned off so the player can appreciate the graphics.  I hope Star Citizen offers the same flexibility.

• 7 months later...
On 23/4/2017 at 11:10 PM, jodgi said:

that voice is classified by international psychiatric association as "PVPer paranoia". You start hearing the voices, than you see ghost carebears behind every corner, in the wardrobe and in every mirror

.... but the final stage of the illness is the most horrible thing: you end up killing NPCs in all the known MMOs 24/24 hours a day and 7/7 days a week because a voice in your head conviced you that - if you kill all the mobs of all the games - there will  be no longer PVE in the world!

Edited by victor
  • Like 1

On 24/4/2017 at 12:43 AM, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

They missed the boat long ago.  You can already play Elite Dangerous for reals, which has an established community.

if SC delivers the half of the half (of the half) of what it promised, I think It will leave ED miles behind. Problem is the initial "if".

Also in 3.0 (I tested it for some time) it has a crapton of problems of optimization as well as several bugs.

Edited by victor

• 2 weeks later...

I tried out a free weekend of SC in Early 2016.  Nice stuff but it was difficult to get into the game because all you could do was walk around, operate vessels and shoot stuff. 

I like Elite Dangerous because you don't have fight anything, or anyone, and there is plenty of content to enjoy.  I have spent most of my time trading and there are still hundreds or thousands of hours left to learn mining, taxi service and exploring.  All that and no requirement to fight anything.  I even tried a wee bit of bounty hunting and it seemed realistic.  The game is very  configurable.  ED allows players a way to turn off all of the hud info so it feels like you are in a ship.  I would love to have a similar level of immersion in an age of sail game.  Also NA allows players to mix single player, closed community and open sandbox  and use the same personal assets in each environment .    ED would allow players to use the same character within the PvE server and PvP server, and carry XP gold and assets with them.

I'm excited about playing Star Citizen when it is is ready.  It looks great.  But I've heard  it is not ready.  Perhaps in 2020 ... or so.

Edited by Macjimm
removed previously posted vid

6-dof flying with dual joysticks, pedals and headtracking is an absolute blast, can spend ages just doing laps around Vandervaal raceway.

And as fun (and beautiful) as the 3.0 universe looks, it runs 9-15 fps for me, so it's a bit too painful to do anything useful. Didn't do much other than landing on planets, gonna have to wait for optimizations.

Maybe 2.6 is so empty now that it runs well.

9AA9gNG.jpg

Landing at night (and I mean night-night, not the 'sort of dark-blue day' of most games) is nerve-wrecking. The first of many destinations for my trusty Mustang Beta with its compact toilet compartment. :P

1 hour ago, sveno said:

Tried it today, unplayable for me....

Saying that as someone that has 1000+ hours in Arma - that means it is really bad...

Did you check out Squad yet? Stopped playing Arma after finding it.

On 24/04/2017 at 1:17 AM, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

If you think Elite "lacks depth" then you aren't in a good player group and need to find a new one.  It is the player groups and community that provides depth.  Elite is my main game.  I help our player group spread an conquer new systems and stations, and I have my own pet faction that I help spread and conquer.  The more systems and bases your factions take over, the more complicated that becomes.  Plus, there are always new ships to buy and outfit and bling up.  There are always new landscapes to see. 

original.jpg

original.jpg

Elite Dangerous is the best game ever...I'm just taking a break until I can afford a  VR capable GPU and a headset.

Edited by seanjo