Game-Labs Forum

There are no speed differences between the artillery units, so having the lighter guns doesn't help - they can't keep up with the cavalry. 6 pounders are most effective at extremely close range, which is very difficult to pull off when cavalry battles are constantly moving. If you can get them in place, they can help keep the skirmisher cavalry from being overrun, but since they lag so far behind this is rare. It's better to position them where their canister can help break infantry charges.

Your statement would be fairly true for Union Cavalry.  At Antietam for example all of Pleasanton's cavalry had 3 inch (10lb) Ordnance rifles.

However Confederate Cavalry were noted for having 12lb Napoleons as well as Blakely's.  At Fredericksburg, Stuart is noted for holding off Meade's attack on Jackson from his flanking position with just 2 guns, both 12lb, a Napoleon and a Blakely.  The Blakely was eventually put out of action but Pelham kept up the firing using his Napoleon and doubled the crews using the men from the disabled Blakely. 

Edited by A. P. Hill
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Hardcase726 said:

What're your thoughts on the 6-pound field gun for a cavalry Corps? 

I have asked, repeatedly, for horse artillery. Small batteries of 6 pounders, which move fast and don't hit all that hard. Unfortunately, breaking open the code that runs the Camp tends to create unexpected bugs elsewhere. So . . . . . highly unlikely. 

But I feel your pain. 

• Like 1

I find no problem in using guns up to Napoleons in the horse artillery role, other than exposure to unwanted infantry attention.  It's all a matter of providing cover and support and getting them back from danger appropriately.   Bear in mind that horse artillery range is farther than it was in days of more closed formations and less effective firearms.

Frankly the way the majority of players here want to run their cavalry units, artillery would just be a waste.  The only reason artillery are assigned to cavalry is that the Cavalry actually acts as mounted infantry, in which case, artillery support is definitely needed.

Probably doesn't rank in the top 10 things I want for arty.  The top few include:

- Ranges for various arty options such as canister as provided in UGG.  I do not want to micro-manage the options, I just want to know the ranges in which different types of ammo are used.

- Fix the declining effectiveness bug

- A better way to understand the effectiveness of each type of cannon.  It is not clear what is provided matches battlefield results.

- Better blocking algorithm. Seems you can easily shoot through trees and even your own troops.

• Like 2

I'd like to see the under performing rifled cannon get their accuracy buffed.  20 lb Parrots and Whitworths are both on a par with howitzers and smoothbores for accuracy.  The other rifled cannon are 30-50 accuracy, why not these two?  Also Whitworth's ROF should be increased as it was the only breech loader in the game.

• Like 1