Game-Labs Forum

Ultimate General vs. Total War

1 hour ago, A. P. Hill said:

Perhaps I misunderstood your post regarding Cruz???    :blink:

(The comment about opinions ... "Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.)  :)

First off, Cruz is not his name. Yes, Cruz is a name, I know many Cruzs. He is not one of them. 

Second, Captain Scientology is not one of my favorite people; I cannot stand him & I truly despise L. Ron Hubbard's  'religion'. It is nothing but Satanism dressed up as space men and aliens.  

Third, Yes, I know everyone has an opinion and an orifice; this was not what I had a question about. 

Edit: 

Fourth, no offense intended. Rereading this, I didn't want you to think I was going full blown Fair Game on you, my Thetan brother. I'll Audit my intentions and go take a super-long sauna after taking a handful of vitamins before replying next time. Gotta sweat out those spiritual impurities. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, william1993 said:

Total War is to Ultimate General as cube steak is to aged ribeye; it'll do in a pinch but once you go the quality route it's hard to go back

Dammit. 

Now I want to make a roast.

Maybe a couple of baked potatoes. Green beans with bacon. 

Why did you put this into my head?????

Thanks, William. B)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andre Bolkonsky said:

First off, Cruz is not his name. Yes, Cruz is a name, I know many Cruzs. He is not one of them. 

Second, Captain Scientology is not one of my favorite people; I cannot stand him & I truly despise L. Ron Hubbard's  'religion'. It is nothing but Satanism dressed up as space men and aliens.  

Third, Yes, I know everyone has an opinion and an orifice; this was not what I had a question about. 

Edit: 

Fourth, no offense intended. Rereading this, I didn't want you to think I was going full blown Fair Game on you, my Thetan brother. I'll Audit my intentions and go take a super-long sauna after taking a handful of vitamins before replying next time. Gotta sweat out those spiritual impurities. 

Don't bother with the sauna ... ;)  I'm a big boy ... I can take a bit of harsh language from a forum member.  And yeah Cruz is easier to punch into a phone keyboard that Cruise. 

57 minutes ago, Andre Bolkonsky said:

Dammit. 

Now I want to make a roast.

Maybe a couple of baked potatoes. Green beans with bacon. 

Why did you put this into my head?????

Thanks, William. B)

bacon makes anything good.

melt some blue cheese on the roast.

melt some on the baked potato. and some garlic flakes.  and butter.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, william1993 said:

Mmmmm... that sounds amazing! Maybe we can also drink some ice cold A&W root beer from the last off topic thread.

1 hour ago, william1993 said:

The Yankee Civil War Campfire Cookbook?

No, seriously. Sounds delicious. 

I was taught Southern cooking. You take what you got and you make it better. 

The potatoes are rubbed down with olive oil and coated in kosher salt before baking. Cut off one third, that becomes potato skins, the other two thirds are Twice Baked potatoes stuffed with onions sauteed in butter with sour cream and cheese. 

The beef is coated in herbs, then seared and slow roasted, served mid-rare. Served with horseradish cream. And like you said, don't bother with the cheap cuts, wait till the ribeye goes on sale then buy big. Or eat chicken for a fraction of the price. And I play hard ball with fried chicken & sauce. 

The green beans. Like you said, bacon makes everything tasty. 

Please, help yourself. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, william1993 said:

Total War is to Ultimate General as cube steak is to aged ribeye; it'll do in a pinch but once you go the quality route it's hard to go back

I mean, okay, but get back to me when Ultimate General lets me land three dragons on my enemy's artillery. ;P

(FWIW, I've heard it said that TW:W has finally gotten the cavalry/infantry/artillery balance down and is the first time that cavalry is really WAI)

• Like 1

On 4/24/2017 at 2:09 PM, Andre Bolkonsky said:

As a good friend of mine once said: "Don't bother playing WITP until you're retired and have a few years to kill" 

A game where a turn takes an entire weekend. No, thank you. 

If only this was computerized . . . . 

Image result for avalon hill witp

Well AB, I loved this game. So my first PC wargame was Gary Grisby's Carrier Force 1983 for the Apple 2E! But here's one from 2008 that reminds me the most of this game and it is War Plan Pacific. It's a fun game without the complicated stuff that require a advanced degree to play! Super easy to open and play right away. The battle lines are fun to watch when the two forces find each other. A wargamer's version of Hide and Seek. Here's the link below to check out!

Apologies to the Civil War purists here that it isn't directly related to Ultimate General. But what's one to do awaiting the next patch and final version of UGCW???? And if that isn't a good enough excuse then just blame AB...he started it!! :rolleyes:

http://www.shrapnelgames.com/KE_Studios/WPP/images/screen_6.jpgscreen_1.jpg

screen_5.jpgscreen_6.jpg

• Like 2

Ive looked over UGCW alot but have not bought it yet because it looks more like you are just following a campaign instead of the grand strategy of complete control over ine side or the other and i dont want to blow a bunch of money on a game that will bore me.

Can someone tell me if you control the entire country or just go through premade campaigns and have no strategy control.

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 1:28 PM, The Red Duke said:

Truth be told Histwar Napoleon RC3 has a year or so. If Histwar developer went to work with Norbsoft, no idea.

Napoleon TW I like NTW3 more than Darthmod. But Darth kicks hell on Empire TW ( my favourite post-sprite TW ).

Sorry I was not clear on Histwar - I meant I moved on to play SoW Waterloo. I did like NTW3 as well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, civsully1 said:

Well AB, I loved this game. So my first PC wargame was Gary Grisby's Carrier Force 1983 for the Apple 2E! But here's one from 2008 that reminds me the most of this game and it is War Plan Pacific. It's a fun game without the complicated stuff that require a advanced degree to play! Super easy to open and play right away. The battle lines are fun to watch when the two forces find each other. A wargamer's version of Hide and Seek. Here's the link below to check out!

Apologies to the Civil War purists here that it isn't directly related to Ultimate General. But what's one to do awaiting the next patch and final version of UGCW???? And if that isn't a good enough excuse then just blame AB...he started it!! :rolleyes:

http://www.shrapnelgames.com/KE_Studios/WPP/images/screen_6.jpgscreen_1.jpg

screen_5.jpgscreen_6.jpg

That's right. i started it. And will defend my bit o' turf. 

Anyone who complains about homage being paid to Avalon Hill on any wargaming site simply has no idea the profound impact Avalon Hill had upon wargaming. It is like omitting Walt Disney when discussing the history of animated films. 

I have played WarPlan. You are correct, the guy who designed it stated it is based on the VITP philosophy of controlling air zones with patrolling and raiding vessels. A solid game, not spectacular, imho. 

But, does it really compare to sitting across the table rolling dice? 

For all the wonderful things computer wargaming has done for us all, that is a part I miss the most. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Andre Bolkonsky said:

That's right. i started it. And will defend my bit o' turf. 

Anyone who complains about homage being paid to Avalon Hill on any wargaming site simply has no idea the profound impact Avalon Hill had upon wargaming. It is like omitting Walt Disney when discussing the history of animated films. 

I have played WarPlan. You are correct, the guy who designed it stated it is based on the VITP philosophy of controlling air zones with patrolling and raiding vessels. A solid game, not spectacular, imho. 

But, does it really compare to sitting across the table rolling dice? 

For all the wonderful things computer wargaming has done for us all, that is a part I miss the most. 

Agreed!

• Like 2

I still appreciate the insane amount of effort that goes into making Total War games and will probably buy every iteration they release, but playing more advanced strategy games (like HOI4, Stellaris, Crusader Kings 2 and UG) really makes the cracks show in the series. 

The most distracting crack I notice is the AI, they rarely seem to have a plan or do anything unconventional. On the campaign map, they'll B-line for whatever objective they're focused on and if they have none, they're quite content to do nothing until you arrive. In battles, there are no phases, there are no surprises and some unit types are made pointless by the dearth of strategy involved in the battle. Skirmishing? Artillery duels? Cavalry battles? Heros? Nope, right out the gate you're looking at 1 or more mobs of melee units fighting in predictable ways. The defining strategy for most of the total war series is to build a large cheap melee army with OP cavalry and flank attack your way to victory. You can predict the outcome of every battle, so every battle amounts to either "I can roll this stupid AI" or "retreat/autoresolve defeat".

I appreciated Napoleon and Empire a lot for trying to get away from this format but when I make the mistake of remembering them fondly and go back to them, I see how shallow the campaign and battle mechanics were and all the wasted potential (Empire for awful UI and drawn out battles and Napoleon for it's insanely limited campaign map).

I could rant for a long time about the hundreds of tiny things that irk me about Total War but it's only because I've sunk an unhealthy amount of time into them and got back a tonne of enjoyment. So I feel entitled to moan.

Anyway, will support Total War for the forseeable future but whenever something as special as UG comes along or almost anything released by Paradox, it'll always get my money.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, william1993 said:

If someone could make a game with the grand strategy ability of AEGODs civil war and the tactical gameplay of this game I would spend all the money on it and play it all the time.

Someone should do this

If that were to happen, my family would never see me again.

And I would be the happiest hermit who ever lived. ;)

Also, I would have to buy a new monitor since the current one wouldn't survive the impact of my wallet hitting it.

As to Avalon Hill and what it did for wargaming, I still re-read old issues of The General and enjoy every second of it, no matter how many times I've read the article before. It's what got me into the whole hobby, and the hours spent cutting out counters of a new A.H. game, studying the rule book (remember when games had rule books and manuals?) were some of the happiest in my life. Just the "new game" smell makes me smile just thinking about it. I would like to give a shout out to SPI as well, though, not to mention GDW. Not the same level of loving craftsmanship evident in the components, but every bit as important to the hobby, in my opinion.

• Like 3