Game-Labs Forum

£20 Note to Feature JMW Turner's Temeraire

Fluffy Fishy

It was confirmed by the Bank of England a couple of days ago they will be pressing ahead with the design for the new £20 note featuring JMW Turner and his painting of the 98 gun HMS Temeraire being pulled into harbour by a steam tug boat in his famous 1838 painting. Having been proposed as a concept around a year ago, this design will now go into print at the royal mint, and then into circulation in October as part of a modernisation scheme set to move all english currency into a more durable plastic composite over the traditional cotton paper that has been used for decades.

when-are-the-new-plastic-20-notes-releas

The original painting shown below, most of you will probably be somewhat familiar with.

1920px-The_Fighting_Temeraire,_JMW_Turne

I look forwards to getting my hands on a crisp new note and keeping it nice and preserved, I can't wait to see the printed edition that will be announced later this year.

• Like 10

12 hours ago, Hethwill said:

Well, need to get my continental hands on one of those. Just for the sake of... having one of those :)

huh... Hethwill you can also print the picture out on some nice photo paper, and list it

and hang it above the fireplace :))

you don't need continental hands for that :D

So happy to see culture and art being thus promoted, beside history. And no tallow ( no animal fat in the new notes ) neither.

Now we just need to recover from the brexit value loss ( brexit not having even happened yet XD )

I ll remind those that like the painting that you can get a reproduction on canvas for cheap online, the cheapest being amazon if you stretch it yourself ( i had posted some details in the paintings thread )

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Captain Jean-Luc Picard said:

So happy to see culture and art being thus promoted, beside history. And no tallow ( no animal fat in the new notes ) neither.

Now we just need to recover from the brexit value loss ( brexit not having even happened yet XD )

I ll remind those that like the painting that you can get a reproduction on canvas for cheap online, the cheapest being amazon if you stretch it yourself ( i had posted some details in the paintings thread )

Has the tallow thing changed recently? The last I heard of it the UK government and mints were pressing ahead with using it despite pressure from lifestyle and religious groups, that was late last year though but they were considering using an alternative product for the £10 note.

I have just read the entire official bank of england statement and accompanying paper dated 15 february 2017 (yeah i always read weird stuff, i used to read papers of all kinds for a living)

in short what has been made stays in circulation (it would be utterly stupid to reprint due to the high costs) and the orders placed are maintained since they have already been placed (duh)

however a consultation will start now (on march 30th) about the use of plant based alternatives such as palm-oil or coconut-oil, which the suppliers have indicated would have no impact on the quality,

the decision is expected in summer 2017,

new contracts including the above-mentionned 20 pounds note are placed on hold until then, old ones are fulfilled tallow or not.

I was therefore somewhat mistaken in that in has not yet been announced that they would be without tallow, my apologies for the innacurate earlier info.

source:

statement http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/publications/Pages/news/2017/024.aspx

paper http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/publications/Documents/other/polymerassessment.pdf

i am therefore betting a turner (see the joke here?) with a buddy that future notes will use coconut-oil, since palm-oil would just be replacing a problem with another one.

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard
  • Like 1