Game-Labs Forum
admin

Ships - individual suggestions and feedback

Kanay    632

Edit : had to check but apparently there is no 24 long in game right now, biggest caliber for longs is 18 pd, so forget about this question and the rest following, ( outside the cannonades that are missing for this ship that can be questionable )  

Maybe for balance purpose indeed, but such balance creates an imbalance as you need to trade the 24's for 18's if you want the long range possibility with all your firepower available.

I'd rather have 12 or 9's longs available on top deck ( even in inferior numbers to balance the weight of those on the first deck ) and 24 longs on bottom deck at the cost of no 18's on top deck than a mixed bag like now,  especially if like you suggested it's extreme.

I don't know how all ships are accurately represented for the cannons possible options compared to real life possibilities in the game right now but having a ship getting his biggest canons in terms of damages not able to get the long ones is a bit limiting his possibilities in this domain.

Edited by Kanay

Kanay    632

Thanks, that's what i supposed after discovering they were not in game and reading them blog entry for the Constitution :

The ship was launched on 20 September 1797, carrying thirty 24lb long guns and twenty 32lb carronades (or 18lb long guns) and could reach 13 knots in favorable winds. 

http://www.navalaction.com/blog/2014/1/14/uss-constitution

Will probably have done the 200K XP needed with this one already when added tho :P 

Johny Reb    1,255

Bellona - Just got this ship and was really disappointed. Even with sails dropped to battle sails and sailing perpendicular to the wind only the top deck had any chance at reaching the enemy. They were at range but not extreme range. Nothing the connie couldn't handle at least. My two lower decks couldn't get hardly 3/4 of the way to the enemy. It was my first run so I wanted to see if this was a common complaint and if this seemed reasonable.

We had the wind gage but it was practically useless so we gave it up early. I did not find the ship fun for this reason. What do you all think?

maturin    5,454

I can't imagine why Constitution would outrange Bellona, except that the former is a little but crank. You could try loading 18-pounders.

BungeeLemming    1,484

The Bellonas 32 and 24 pound cannons have less range than the long 18 pounders. So yes the Constitution can outrange the bellona on her main gundecks. (If you load the big guys)

But at long range combat you do next to zero damage to your opponent.

Only when you start seeing the names you are about to get into effective ranges.

Dont bother too much with not beeing able to fire back. Its annoying but its not hurting you much.

I did some testing in PvE because I was bothere with this issue, too. Also I wanted to find out whats better:

Range/pen or the bigger gun->dmge.

So I went ahead and tested: full 18 long guns versus the maximum armament. (main decks only ofc, disabling the upper decks) Then I checked the log and took my notes.

My conclution: The bigger the better.

As said bevore you do very minor damage to your enemy at long distance so its more important to hurt them once you get into good/shorter ranges.

However I did not compare DPM. But I think its still better on the big guns. (somewhere is a chart where you can find out) But when I checked it months ago it always was: bigger= better.

Schuetzengel    180

Pd   DPS

C68 0,92

C12 0,85

C18 0,82

C24 0,80

C42 0,76

4      0,75

C32 0,74

6      0,72

42    0,65

4L    0,64

6L    0,63

32    0,62

12    0,59

9      0,59

24    0,58

18    0,57

9L    0,51

18L  0,49

12L  0,49

did somebody test a -9pd only- victory? :)

There are a few problems with balance at the top end of the curve.

There's a huuuge gap in power between the Constitution and the Bellona, but they're often matched opposite each other just because the Connie is at the top of the frigate curve and sometimes it's all that's available. The whole time I was in a Connie I felt like a rolling target for ships of the line; you're just big enough to be a priority and just weakly armored enough that you can't stand up to the big guys. 

Also, it seems waaaay too easy to progress from Bellona to Victory and Victory to Santissima. The damage requirements don't scale with the guns.

There's a huuuge gap in power between the Constitution and the Bellona, but they're often matched opposite each other just because the Connie is at the top of the frigate curve and sometimes it's all that's available. The whole time I was in a Connie I felt like a rolling target for ships of the line; you're just big enough to be a priority and just weakly armored enough that you can't stand up to the big guys. 

Also, it seems waaaay too easy to progress from Bellona to Victory and Victory to Santissima. The damage requirements don't scale with the guns.

Which is why they're adding new ships all of the time.  :)  It's an ever changing list.

poosd    66

Hello all,

I'm interested in hearing what people think about the Brig in the game.  I just moved up to the Snow recently, but had a heck of a time in the Brig.  First, the manual sailing, then it appears to be nowhere near as deadly as the Snow and so much less maneuverable than a Cutter or Lynx (which is probably accurate).  Now, I am happy to admit that I am not a highly skilled player, as the many folks out there who have accumulated "points" off of me can attest too.  But since we are playing in order to make better ships and systems, I thought I'd ask others what they think of the Brig. 

I know historically there have been several successful Brig warships.  What made them great?  Systems (guns, sailing, etc.), or the Captains?  What ship has our lowly Brig been modeled off of?  If the answer from the forums knowledge base is that the ship model is spot on, then I will accept that and return to my little tub and continue my attempts at mastery (which I may do anyway).

Just wanted to hear the thoughts of others....There's a lot of knowledge out here to draw from.

Dean (poosd)

russian    9

-All ships

- Gun ports wide open when the gun deck is either taking water or already underwater in a damaged vessel.

- Although it is but a visual effect for us, it would result in a quick sinking. If you remember, Vasa is said to have rolled enough to catch water through open ports and sink on maiden journey

- Establish automatic closing of gun ports when they would take in water. It is conceivable that ports could be opened and guns run out on a high roll so a damaged ship could dish it out but that would have to be a rather quick evolution - possibly establish manual control for such situation only while preventing manual opening and flooding of gun deck when it is underwater.  We can probably leave gun ports open on ships that are in good condition in heavy seas since the water would run off or get pumped fast enough because the hands are not already fighting to save her.

On the second thought you are correct since they x out. it will be a nice visual addition

It most certainly will be an awesome addition, especially if we can control them by locking the deck ourselves (would be good for approaching a friend in the open world, or when surrendering, to have your gunports closed).

Austrum    115

Which is why they're adding new ships all of the time.   :)  It's an ever changing list.

Yep.  Constitution might be a Super Frigate, but it is still a Frigate.   This is where something like the popular HMS Indefatigable will come into play to fill the gap.  About the same firepower as the Connie, but since she is a razeed SOL, the Indefatigable should have stouter planking and be more resistant to enemy fire (at the expense of maneuverability).  Also they have the Ingermanland coming in which is a 64 gun third rate which will also bridge the gap between Connie and Belly.  Honestly there are literally dozens of good ship that can be inserted here. 

maturin    5,454

Constitution's planking is actually stronger than that of a 74. So in terms of gunfire resistance she will outclass an old 64-gun hull like Indefatigable or Ingermanland too.

Joegrag    8

Would be nice if you could change the ceberus' paintjob.

Many people dislike the existing one.

it s more like a question if you could please do that ;)

maturin    5,454

Cerberus looks fantastic! Your modellers are getting better and better, especially when it comes to rigs.

I just have three small pieces of feedback on her masts and sails. Please PM me if any terms are unclear and I will re-upload the example images with highlighted areas.

1. I think you guys made Cerberus' main topgallant too big. (Constitution suffers from the stretched topgallants ever moreso, by the way.) It looks like the artist was trying to maintain the proper ratio between main and fore masts. But instead of making all foremast sails proportionately smaller, the main topgallant was stretched.

http://i.imgur.com/tHq3Q1F.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/rpbBW9l.jpg

2. Cerberus is missing topgallantmast backstays. Her t'gallants would snap the masts in no time. Refer to Surprise for proper backstays.

http://i.imgur.com/lLfqm66.jpg

3. Mainstaysail doesn't stow properly. This one staysail hangs in mid-air instead of furling up flush against the mast. Refer to her other staysails, which are modeled properly.

http://i.imgur.com/onyRuXH.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5P0kSuZ.jpg

Lastly, here is a picture of the ships side by side: http://i.imgur.com/XeSWUxw.jpg

As you can see, Surprise is longer and slimmer. Cerberus is beamier and shorter.

Let's balance them accordingly. I would like to see Cerberus be tougher and a good slow-speed turner. Surprise should be the best upwind performer, and heel more.

Ryan21    137

Just wanted to comment on a post from a couple pages back.

You want to see a brig with the bow out of the water?  She has an incredibly bouyant bow, this is us motoring into a full gale off bodega head in california, we are making approximately 1 knot of headway.  I call it the brig wheelie.

DanielCoffey    13

Ship : Privateer

Problem : The new Privateer has rear gun ports that are clearly visible and open but no rear guns are permitted in the Constructor.

Here is an image of the area I am referring to...

Privateer01.jpg

Reasoning : I don't know if the design vision for the Privateer intends for it to have rear guns that have not been fitted yet but it seems unexpected to have working rear gun ports cut into the rear armour when no guns are going to be placed there. Apart from looking odd and unfinished, with Damage Model 4.0 this will give the Privateer a critical weakness to shots passing through the rear gun ports and striking crew and side guns.

Solution : Either permit the Privateer to have rear guns (Carronade 8 or 12 I assume) or change the model to a solid stern and remove the rear gun ports completely.