Game-Labs Forum
admin

Ships - individual suggestions and feedback

maturin    5,454

Some of those near "free falls" (especially the first one, and one towards the end) look like they might snap the masts off and destroy the ship. It looks similar to a rubber raft and not a ship that has weight. But maybe that is just my perception and it is acting like it should.

Looks alright to me. Maybe, she should be plowing through the waves rather than acting so buoyant.

But in general, if you were charging into steep Atlantic rollers at 14 knots, you would probably do more or less what you see in the video.

And then you would die, of course.

Mirones    875

or Lose the Bowspit like the Lady Washington did once.

couldnt the brig carry a Sprit sail to when looking at the rigging?

Prater    5,325

Looks alright to me. Maybe, she should be plowing through the waves rather than acting so buoyant.

But in general, if you were charging into steep Atlantic rollers at 14 knots, you would probably do more or less what you see in the video.

And then you would die, of course.

I'm a landlubber so I didn't know that.  That looks terrifying, especially the first one in the video.  A bit before that I saw another one that was even worse and that's when I started recording once I saw it.

maturin    5,454

That isn't to say that I've ever seen bad weather, of course.

But the whole point of heaving to in a storm is so that you reduce the force of colliding with the waves. Ideally, you make just a knot or two or headway, so you don't drift backwards and damage the rudder. Or you run before the waves, so that your own forward speed subtracts from the speed of the waves hitting your stern. You do not want to be launching off the crest of a wave and plunging into the trough.

Modern sailboats, for example, are often incredibly seaworthy and well-built, such that the best way to survive a storm is sometimes to simply close up the hatch and go get drunk until everything blows over. The sailboat that you saw sink in the Perfect Storm actually survived without damage after the crew were rescued, in real life. But perhaps the biggest threat in such a case is being picked up and simply dropped by a wave. Ten or fifteen feet straight down into the trough. Wham. Pretty much like that video.

I've come to notice that the damage output of the brig is extremely low (had long 6's equiped). I 1v1'd a Trico the other day and only got 1000 dmg (sank it). Yet the snow i was with sank a cutter for 1500 dmg. Shouldn't this be the vise versa? I haven't had this issue with any other ships though, averaging 1500 damage per pve battle approx (light ships).

I may be missing an underlying damage calculator computation though. Any clearification would be appreciated!

Prater    5,325

Depends on several things.

The type of guns you have loaded, the type of ammo, if you aimed for the sails at all, how close you are, and the cutter is more manueverable so you might have been able to shoot off a broadside, maneuver, shoot off the other, then turn back to the 1st broadside, so you were firing 12 guns to the brig's 8.

Broadside weights

Brig:

8x6lb longs = 48

Cutter:

6 x 6lb longs = 36

OR

6 x 12lb carronades = 72

Perhaps with the brig you also holed the ai and since the ai doesn't manage water (survival mode), sank early.

I've come to notice that the damage output of the brig is extremely low (had long 6's equiped). I 1v1'd a Trico the other day and only got 1000 dmg (sank it). Yet the snow i was with sank a cutter for 1500 dmg. Shouldn't this be the vise versa? I haven't had this issue with any other ships though, averaging 1500 damage per pve battle approx (light ships).

I may be missing an underlying damage calculator computation though. Any clearification would be appreciated!

In addition to what Prater said, if you can do damage faster than the leaks take the ship, you can "score" extra damage.

So let's look at two scenarios (I've seen both of these personally) with a Surprise in PvE.  Same ship, guns, same single opponent (another Surprise), all shots only to the hull - no grape or chain used.

Scenario 1:  I force the AI to run downwind parallel to me, and I stay at range and use regular shot.

Scenario 2:  force the AI to run downwind parallel to me, and I close yardarm to yardarm and use double shot.

In Scenario 1, I'll do less damage overall.  Doing damage to the armor finally drops that side to zero, leaks start, and the enemy sinks.  I do further damage, but broadside for broadside, I'm doing less due to using regular and not doubleshot.  Scenario 2 I'm closer and doing more damage per broadside. I can likely finish off the windward side armor, and get a quarter to half of the leeward side armor too before the leaks finally overcome the ship.  Doing damage faster means I do more before the ship sinks.

Example:  I watched a Surprise, the last surviving ship on our team, last night, after I had sunk, lose every last bit of armor on all four sides under a constant pounding from a Bellona, a couple of Snows, and another Surprise.  Those folks managed to remove every last shred of "armor" before she sunk.  They scored much higher total overall damage from that ship by hitting it so hard and fast that it ran out of armor before it sank.

So, in the situation you named, the Snow has superior weight of throw (more cannon) per broadside than you do, which allowed him to do more damage faster than the leaks could catch up and sink the cutter.  That Snow may also have done damage to the Cutter's rigging via chain (pretty smart if he was worried that the cutter was going to outsail his slow Snow) which also would have added to the damage total.

Does that make sense, not from a common sense standpoint, but at least from a "the way current game mechanics work" standpoint?

Yes thank you, that's what I was thinking it was. However, I feel that there should still be some form of a larger ship should get more of a damage boost if you get what I'm saying.

For example:

Since I sank the frigate class my damage should get an equalizer to help boost overall damage(brig is a very slow grind otherwise in comparison). This would make sense to balance out the fact that I did in fact sink a more heavily armored ship. Versus the same ship class equalizer the snow would have for sinking the cutter, which is much less armored.

Granted as an engineer with a little programming background in simulation I can see where this would get complicated so I suppose just stick it out with the grind.

Well, the more cannon you have, the more damage the next ship requires.  I opened up Trincomalee with 75,000 damage inflicted in a Surprise last night, now I have 150,000 damage to inflict to get Constitution.  The Brig always needed the current damage, the Snow was added with the same damage I suppose because they were nice.  All of us had to clear that same damage number in the Brig, that it is the same in the Snow is likely because the Snow was slotted in there much later.   :)  Every ship after the Snow requires far more damage than the one prior before you can move on.

As it is, the current damage system is just to ensure all of the ships get enough testing to collect the right amount of data for analysis.  Otherwise folks would just jump into their favorite ship and ignore all the rest.  The current progression system can be counted on to NOT be a finalized mechanic.

Prater    5,325

The reason why you are getting so little damage is because you are playing pve and the bots don't know how to manage their repairs.  They tend to spend them all at once with minimal damage.  If you play pvp you will probably get more damage (as long as you don't get destroyed by other players first!) as players typically manage their repairs better.  On the weekend when the most amount of people are on, you could easily join regular pvp with bigger ships and just try to stay on the down-low while farming damage from them.  However, if you tick one of us off by excessively destroying our sails with chain or holing our hulls with double we will fire back and it will probably hurt :D  You will also learn better strategies by playing against people.  Playing against bots forms bad habits.

The reason why you are getting so little damage is because you are playing pve and the bots don't know how to manage their repairs.  They tend to spend them all at once with minimal damage.  If you play pvp you will probably get more damage (as long as you don't get destroyed by other players first!) as players typically manage their repairs better.  On the weekend when the most amount of people are on, you could easily join regular pvp with bigger ships and just try to stay on the down-low while farming damage from them.  However, if you tick one of us off by excessively destroying our sails with chain or holing our hulls with double we will fire back and it will probably hurt :D  You will also learn better strategies by playing against people.  Playing against bots forms bad habits.

Well my thoughts were to pve farm till the Surprise then flip over to pvp that way I wasn't two-shot by the bigger ships. I know pve grants less damage; my concern was just on the underlying mechanism of how it calculates when I sink a frig and get less damage than a snow sinking a cutter. Thank you though!

Pirate, this may not say much for my sailing skills, but I had a couple of Snows that really did a great job pounding the crap out of me last night in my Surprise.  Well sailed, and ensuring you're on the same side as a friendly big-ship, and you can collect some insane damage before you become enough of a menace to require the larger ship's attention.  By far my largest advances in damage have come in PvP matches, even when way outclassed by the other ships.

James Cook    0

I got one:

- Yacht

- battle rating to low

- today i found myself in a battle with to lynxes against a yacht and a cutter :( . now i was thinking: the cutter has a higher battle rating than the lynx, so the yacht must have a lower one than the lynx (apparently 2x lynx is as strong as a yacht and a cutter). in my opinion both the yacht and the cutter are better ships than the lynx therefore in this case it should have been 1 lynx and 1 cutter vs 1 lynx and 1 yacht.

I'm not completely familiar with battle ratings, so maybe this was just a stupid coincidence :blink:

- the simple solution is to change the battle rating of  the yacht(I think :unsure:)

I've found the Yacht to be one of the most fun ships in the game. Seems, to me, to handle better than a Cutter, which is effectivly its direct rival, and, sailed right, can easily take on a Snow.

Though I still think the Lynx has a slight edge to manouverability to the Yacht, which I think has an edge on the Cutter...But I hated the Cutter, so bias.

Prater    5,325

Yacht should be at least the same rating as the cutter.  What it lacks in manpower and possibly armor it makes up for in speed and maneuverability.

BungeeLemming    1,485

Shp: Snow.

Problem: heel

I went into a small pvp today and could not bring the ship on horizontal level. I neutralized all yards in battle sail configuration. But the snow still heels a lot. Even when 0% sails it took a while for the snow to level out.

My cannons could not reach the target at any time.

Only when I turned around I could grasp a shot.

My snow was without any leaks and about 70% structure over all. one side 40% the other about 80%.

Stern and bow fine.

maturin    5,454

I bet you were listing, not heeling, Bungee.

Easily the stupidest feature in this game. You can have slight flooding, and your ship leans to WINDWARD, just because the hole is on that side.

maturin    5,454

Yeah, nothing is so ragequit-inducing as to see a player outmaneuvering you because he mashes the S button to put all his sails away, acting like a handbrake for carving sterncamp turns. And he can turn sharper and stop faster than you can by using manual sails because of the damn ALWAYS-ON STAYSAILS.

Seriously, when is someone else going to pick up on this problem? :wacko: :wacko:

Kanay    632

Hi, 

- Ship : Constitution 

I would like to know if it is normal that on the Constitution we can't get 24pd "long" cannons and need to either mix 18's longs on first deck with 24 "short " on the second deck or go full 18 longs only if we want to go for long range.

Not sure if it is historical and i don't know if there is a logical reason for this option to not be available, just got this ship unlocked and until now (if i make no error) when i had a cannon caliber available on a ship deck i always had the "long" or "short" options possible but on the Constitution the 24pd is only available in short version, just wondering why the 24 longs are not an option on this ship.

- Shouldn't 24 pd longs be a possible option on this ship if we follow the same logic we had on previous ships ?

PS :  also no cannonades available on this ship ?

Thanks in advance.

akd    2,622

18 pdrs on the spar deck is pushing what was practical for the ship, so perhaps it is meant to balance this out? Historical armament (after trying other configurations) was of course long 24s in the main battery and 32/42-pdr carronades on the spar deck. No idea why the option for carronades is missing.

To put things in perspective:

32-lb carronade (as carried by Constitution for most of service) - 2000 lbs.

18-lb cannon (as carried by Constitution during Quasi War) - 4700 lbs. (plus additional crew)

Personally, for purposes of the game, I think that she should max out at 12lb cannon / 32lb or 42lb carronade on spar deck and long 24s in the main battery. If 18lb cannon are allowed on top deck, they should come with some steep handling penalties (above and beyond the incremental increase in weight).