Game-Labs Forum
admin

Ships - individual suggestions and feedback

admin    28,104

Topics will be moderated heavily to stay on the subject. 

Mandatory format of the topic when discussing ships

• Name of the ship
  • Define the problem with a ship or a vessel
  • Why it is a problem
  • What should developers do to fix the problem

When discussing the problem please quote the problem you are referring to

Johny Reb    1,255

-Cutter

-severe list with sails down. I couldn't even fire on a ship 100 feet away.  The state of my ship. severely damaged but staying afloat. lots of damage but not taking on any water in survival mode.

-if I'm not sinking I shouldn't be listing(leaning) unless in a storm (maybe)

-change the code I guess so that it doesnt list when sails are down and at a full stop

akd    2,622

-All

- The rudder it´s all time turned to left, i can turn to right but when i dont press the key, automatically turn to left again

Peripheral conflict of some sort? Joystick? TrackIR?

Freebooter    33

1)  Attempted to board by ramming my undamaged Lynx (30 crew) into a damaged yacht (12 crew) and sank straight away.  Ship then recorded 2 leaks on starboard.  It seems odd that the ship could not survive a collision to board particularly given that I had turned into the wind and had slowed down before contact was made.

2)  Having difficulty coming out of chat.  The second ENTER does not end the chat.

Johny Reb    1,255

Cutter

Problem: When sailing directly downwind then booms should be perpedicular to the hull. Right now they are maybe 45 degrees.

Its a problem because its wrong :)

Fix by changing the code. Simple as that.

maturin    5,454

I'm not sure tradition cutters of that size could actually let the boom out that far. But it would be good to have a source to say either way.

In any case, you're going to continue to have awful clipping issues unless you make the lee backstays shift or disappear.

Dgirth12    1

I think the gap between the Brig and the Surprise is needs filling with a extra ship. 

The Surprise is so much more powerfull in every department,  Brigs and cutters hardly do any damage. In PVP games. A surprise can take on muitiple Brigs ans Cutters. 

RAMJB    972

I'm sure in the future there will be more 6th rates to perfectly cover the gap between the Brig and the Surprise. but for now let's comment and give feedback on the ships we already have :)

• Name of the ship:   Cutter
  • Define the problem with a ship or a vessel:   Sails like a square rigger
  • Why it is a problem:    It's a fore and aft craft
  • What should developers do to fix the problem:    Make it go faster into the wind, make it point closer into the wind and make it slower when sailing downwind.     Or just delete it because having to sail that piece of junk for 8 wins is just making me very sad.    :(

Absolon    6

Name of Ship (Lynx or Yacht)

Define problem: angle of sail allowed, auto skipper, and leeway.

Why is it a problem? sails do not trim correctly for points of sail between ~60-70 degrees and 45 degrees to the apparent wind.

Why should you fix?

This is really three issues, first, is point of sail, and auto skipper. Granted, a traditional  full length keel and typical bottom growth of even copper plated hulls of the era are not going to point 45 degrees into apparent wind. However, between 45 and somewhere low of 70 degrees apparent the autoskipper gives up, and leaves the sails untrimmed for the point of sail. Take a look at my profile pic. I'm sailing at about 40-45 for an apparent wind angle, and overpowered in the conditions, so main is twisted off a bit (not on centerline) and I'm "pinching" too tight into the wind (to reduce heel and even then, borderline overpowered).

on the lynx and cutter models, The booms should sheet close to centerline max

Second issue:Luffing Sails
For a given rig design (I.e. Fore and Aft, square etc). There should be a max point of sail into the wind, and at that point sails should "luff". If a skipper is manual trimming a sail, sails luffing (leading edge of the sail to windward flopping around) would be the key indicator of bad trim. This is true on current sailboats, and even  ages past such as the era of NA. Sails should luff when you are undertrimmed, or to tight into the wind.

Really cool sidepoint.. you can put a boat into irons.. (Bow stuck into the wind). First time I saw it, I was very impressed. After negative boat speed, I put the aft most sail to weather, reverse rudder, and spun the bow around.. perfect, and as it should be.

Third issue: Leeway.

Modern sailboats  (especially those used in racing) have very pronounced fin keels. These ships do not. their keel is full length, and not very pronounced. Some boats (like cutters) might have had drop boards for more lateral resistance. Most boats, especially square rigged will slide slightly to leeward when the wind Is forward of  beam (tight reach to beating).  In these conditions, boats should slide slightly to leeward, more if sails are over trimmed (pulled too close to center for point of sail)

overall, very happy, but these are some of th tweaks that would  help attract "modern" sailors.

Johny Reb    1,255
.After negative boat speed, I put the aft most sail to weather, reverse rudder, and spun the bow around.. perfect, and as it should be.

We fought long and hard to get the reverse rudder. It was a hard fight. Many thought that it would be to hard on new players and manual tacking but with the double tap A or D for full rudder deflection it wasn't an issue at all.

admin    28,104

need more specific feedback about the vessels before the thursday/friday patch

only detailed one is from Brutish on the cutter. Need more feedback asap.. 

I think the gap between the Brig and the Surprise is needs filling with a extra ship. 

The Surprise is so much more powerfull in every department,  Brigs and cutters hardly do any damage. In PVP games. A surprise can take on muitiple Brigs ans Cutters. 

yes we are aware of the gaps. they will be fixed gradually before release

current gaps are

no second rates

no 4th rate ships of the line (40-64 guns)

no various light or post frigates/brigs/3 mast sloops (18-30 guns)

no xebecs

some gaps also exist between surprise and constitution

no traders (but traders are not needed at this stage)

pugtm    19

cutter

sails interfere with targeting

difficult to track and see how cannons fire and and re target, both cone and range indicators need to be made clearer and easier to read.

1) Attempted to board by ramming my undamaged Lynx (30 crew) into a damaged yacht (12 crew) and sank straight away. Ship then recorded 2 leaks on starboard. It seems odd that the ship could not survive a collision to board particularly given that I had turned into the wind and had slowed down before contact was made.

2) Having difficulty coming out of chat. The second ENTER does not end the chat.

• Name of the ship: Cutter
  • Define the problem with a ship or a vessel: Sails like a square rigger
  • Why it is a problem: It's a fore and aft craft
  • What should developers do to fix the problem: Make it go faster into the wind, make it point closer into the wind and make it slower when sailing downwind. Or just delete it because having to sail that piece of junk for 8 wins is just making me very sad. :(

Its an cutter this aint potbs it is a side wind sailing ship none ship would go against the wind buy an engine.

The cutter is an fine ship sailing side wind it is made for not against the wind.

I'm speaking relative to the other ships in the game not relative to reality. If that makes sense. And I don't think the square riggers will point realistically into the wind, although I'd be willing to test that out.

Leviathan    1,032

Name of the ship - Trincomalee

Problem - Excessive heel for a frigate of this size. Almost heels like a Cutter or Lynx when firing on the upwind side.

Why is it a problem - It heels more than the other frigates including the Surprise. Unless i'm unaware of some characteristic (hull design etc) about the ship I wouldn't think it would be effected by heel more than a Surprise. (I don't mind dealing with heel and enjoy the ship. That was the only nitpicking I could do on it)

Solution - decrease the heeling effect on the ship by a moderate amount. Unless this is really a characteristic of the ship then by all means leave it as is.

maturin    5,454

A ship that heels a lot is referred to as crank. Ships are crank for various reasons, among them esoteric aspects of their design and construction.

Ideally, once every ship in the game is unique with slight randomization in the stats, amount of heel (crankness vs stiffness) will be one of the randomized factors.

No one really knows how the Leda class heels, unless you can dig up a quote of some captain referring the quality of a particular vessel with a particular trim at that point in her lifetime.

only detailed one is from Brutish on the cutter. Need more feedback asap..

I have extensive feedback on cutter, yacht and schooner. Should I post my thread OP in here?