Game-Labs Forum
admin

Damage, Cannons, Repairs, Firing, Aiming - suggestions and feedback

Constitution.

Carronades, I use the 24 pounders on the bottom for long range sniping, then the 32 pounder carronades to give them a poke in the eye up close. I usually turn off the top deck with f1 so the carronades don't fire when they are hopelessly out of range, but just now I couldn't turn them back on, came face to face with an enemy bellona and couldn't do any poking, was very frustrating, it then turned itself back on once I looked below the horizon. 

Toldya, there are superheroes in cutters xD

Harry, Carro autoblock at their max range. And the range is really really close.. Had the same issue, and stopped using carro ;p

• Like 1

The aim just needs leaving as it is when you look away or don't move any key. You could still use mouse look for general looking about while on the gun deck and use the ASWD keys for aiming the gun and elevating it. These then revert to the normal keys when you move away from the gun view . I am happy to use these keys to aim the gun as I tanked in Red Orchestra  using these keys for years. I think it works better than any mouse aim system for simulation of heavy guns being aimed. I preferred the RO system over the mouse aiming system in WOT. I think it adds more skill to your shooting having to use keys instead of super sensitive mice. War thunder is having this issue at the moment. Due to pixel perfect shooting with the mouse people are aiming for gun barrels all the time and making the game shite.

I can use the current system of aiming but it just doesn't feel "right" for a game like this. I also think the sails come down a bit too quick at the moment as well. Leading to ships stopping to fire and then moving away again. When the reality is that these sails weigh a lot and need teams of men on manual ropes pulling them up and down. On a smaller ship surely there would not be enough crew to do this and maintain the guns as depicted in this game. 

I rather like being able to maneuver while I'm in aiming mode, I'd much rather retain that ability with the primary movement keys.  If you're going to keybind it, I'd go for the arrows myself.

As for the sails, you're right in that they come up and down a bit fast, but you could also say it's simulating letting the sheets fly, which is more what they'd do for a quick change in speed.  It takes a smaller crew to retrim a yard so that the sail isn't drawing than it does to fully furl/unfurl.

love the new patch, however my carronades keep getting shot out of action very quickly and easily. Not so with opponents and i have the heavier throw weight(especially shooting double)

this keeps happening mainly with brigs, i need to test it with the other ships though

I'm going to back track in the thread abit here, but I just recieved the book Napoleonic Naval Armaments 1792-1815 by Chris Henry, and in it there's a table with the typical point blank ranges of the long guns & carronades standardized in the Royal Navy in at the time:

48PUY4q.jpg

Note: The "Out Angle" is 5 deg.

PS: Apologies for the poor clarity of the picture, was taken with my phone :)

Re: aiming cannons for range.   This may seem really stupid but how to you set range to firing? I am a real world sailor, so actaullu sailing the ship is little problem. I know how to get to the gunnery station where you can see the aimed  lightened field in front of which is generally the line of aim. U nderstand about firing and usinf the spacebar for broadsides and aiming shots.

When in this view there's also small horizontal red line. Is this your elevation line" From there there is no way to set other than just fire and total guesswork as to settig elevation for distance?

I read so comments about taking a long time to master but having no real way of telling how to set is quite frustrating. Add to this the only ships I can run right now are the Yacht and the LYnx, where the cannons are only a few feet above the waterline. Grasping some sort of per[ective on you fall of shot seems almost impossible.

Someone please other than "practice" let me know how you actually aim for elevation or determine distance.   I've only played a few matches and I have littel or no idea where my shots are falling. Sometimes I think I'm hitting, but thats only a maybe since otheres may be firing on the target at the same time and any of the "damage" like wood flying might be someone else.

If I set the red horizonatal line just over the horizon line the shot only seems to go out a few hundred yards, then splash..

I could see how the average purchaser might find this annoying and frustrating. Not everyone who buys this prodcut is going to be A Grognard.

Remember that these are smooth bore, and their projectiles are not terribly aerodynamic. They're artillery, so they lob the shell on an arc, rather than straight in.

So that said, you need to aim above where you want to fire, and the farther away the target, the farther up you need to angle.

And the only way to figure that out is, yes, to practice. I use 2-3 ranging shots for the first few shots because I'm dialing it in.

Re: aiming cannons for range.   This may seem really stupid but how to you set range to firing? I am a real world sailor, so actaullu sailing the ship is little problem. I know how to get to the gunnery station where you can see the aimed  lightened field in front of which is generally the line of aim. U nderstand about firing and usinf the spacebar for broadsides and aiming shots.

When in this view there's also small horizontal red line. Is this your elevation line" From there there is no way to set other than just fire and total guesswork as to settig elevation for distance?

I read so comments about taking a long time to master but having no real way of telling how to set is quite frustrating. Add to this the only ships I can run right now are the Yacht and the LYnx, where the cannons are only a few feet above the waterline. Grasping some sort of per[ective on you fall of shot seems almost impossible.

Someone please other than "practice" let me know how you actually aim for elevation or determine distance.   I've only played a few matches and I have littel or no idea where my shots are falling. Sometimes I think I'm hitting, but thats only a maybe since otheres may be firing on the target at the same time and any of the "damage" like wood flying might be someone else.

If I set the red horizonatal line just over the horizon line the shot only seems to go out a few hundred yards, then splash..

I could see how the average purchaser might find this annoying and frustrating. Not everyone who buys this prodcut is going to be A Grognard.

I'm sure they will add a manual and tutorial at some point.  

Essentially, you use the red line.  Move your mouse up or down for elevation.  Hit spacebar to take a test shot.  Use SHIFT to see where it lands.  Aim high or lower depending where it hit.  You can then fire your entire broadside with left click or try more aiming rounds with spacebar to zero in.  Use the red line and a reference point like a sail, name tag, etc. and remember where your shots are landing.  Adjust from there.

• Like 2

The damage is not bad but i test at ultra maybe more damage at the ship like if the guns are out of action then they should be gone. Specialy if you hit the gunport ive noticed that it looks the same like hull damage. Maybe better sail damage or masts below like certain % more damage like the ra's just suggestion s

having an issue with spacebar shooting with 2 decks. if first deck I was shooting goes empty, will take multiple spaces for other deck to respond.

atm a current tactic si to ram other ships.

You lost your front mast but you're often able to return the ennemyu ship and make him sunk.

Whatabout improving damage or to make iot continue for both ships?

I'm finding the current firing and aiming mechanics pretty straightforward and intuitive.  Only takes a few shots to get the hang of it.  I've only played about 5 matches so far.

Just had a game in a brigg.  I sunk after a fight,  but i repaired hull and had no leaks.  My pump was damaged,  but was repaired too. Ships sunk with any chance.  Ahh,  in survive mode.  Any ideas why?? 

Even if you repair your pump if you do not switch to the survival discipline then you shan't be getting rid of the water as quickly as required. Alas as I was not present and there is no screenshot attached it is difficult to comment on the exact reason why you sank.

I`d like to give a suggestion about countering the slow turning speed of bigger ships such as trincomalee, constitutions and up, adjusting the number of bullets at the bow and stern would slightly improve the ship performance in close combat situation. as we all progressed we noticed that the quantity of ammunitions are unlinear and could possibly fix some of the bigger ships weak spots.

|     Quantity of ammunition at:   

Ship Name       |         Bow        |         Stern      

Brig             |           2           |            0

Surprise         |           3           |            2

Triconmalee    |            5          |             3

Constitution    |            7           |            5

Bellona          |            9           |            7

and so on, what do you think?

having an issue with spacebar shooting with 2 decks. if first deck I was shooting goes empty, will take multiple spaces for other deck to respond.

try hitting the spacebar just once and waiting. There can be a delay sometimes, it feels like the code is cycling through each gun to see if it's loaded or something.

I`d like to give a suggestion about countering the slow turning speed of bigger ships such as trincomalee, constitutions and up, adjusting the number of bullets at the bow and stern would slightly improve the ship performance in close combat situation. as we all progressed we noticed that the quantity of ammunitions are unlinear and could possibly fix some of the bigger ships weak spots.

|     Quantity of ammunition at:   

Ship Name       |         Bow        |         Stern      

Brig             |           2           |            0

Surprise         |           3           |            2

Triconmalee    |            5          |             3

Constitution    |            7           |            5

Bellona          |            9           |            7

and so on, what do you think?

I'm not sure what you're suggesting here?

I was trying to figure that one out myself. Are you suggesting a limited amount of shot for each gun? I don't see why we would have to fix the larger ships weak spots to be honest. The ships are modeled to their original counterparts and if the weakness is there then that is something that you need to work on keep out of the enemy sights. Each ship should have some form of a weak spot as each one was catered to different tasks. Just because you are in a larger warship does not necessarily mean that you should have a plethora of stern chasers to prevent being stern camped et cetera.

I think he's suggesting increasing the number of guns on the stern and bow as the ships become larger. This would allow you to blast the little ships as they try to maneuver around the larger ships.

I can't agree with this idea since the ships are based on historical models and gun amounts. This would also render the smaller ships completely useless.

• Like 1

I think he's suggesting increasing the number of guns on the stern and bow as the ships become larger. This would allow you to blast the little ships as they try to maneuver around the larger ships.

I can't agree with this idea since the ships are based on historical models and gun amounts. This would also render the smaller ships completely useless.

Any such idea that is founded in any such concept as "balance" should be instantly turned off. I was going to propose that whoever comes with any such idea should be taken to the stake and burned alive (After being properly flayed and rubbed with salt previously, of course). But that might be taking things a tad too far :D.

There should be no "balancing" in this game. Ships are what they are, modelled after historical ones, and what the historical one had, the one here will have. Big ships have an achilles heel, which is, specifically, being less and less maneouverable the bigger they get. There's no "balancing" needed to "fix" this weakness. If you're in a Trincomalee and you can't shake a lighter ship off your back then the problem is not a lack of rear guns anyway.

• Like 3

Yes, no offense to Hernann, but I hope this doesn't turn into a begging-fest for "balance" and "nerfs" like potbs. I hope that crap stays with potbs were it started and dies along with it when the time comes.

Your advantage in a larger ship is your armament and armor. Yes, it may be difficult to get your guns on the little ship as he maneuvers, but when you do he's going to be picking splinters out of his ass for weeks.

• Like 2

but when you do he's going to be picking splinters out of his ass for weeks.

Heh. My little yatch is still hurting ;).

• Like 1

Yes, no offense to Hernann, but I hope this doesn't turn into a begging-fest for "balance" and "nerfs" like potbs. I hope that crap stays with potbs were it started and dies along with it when the time comes.

Your advantage in a larger ship is your armament and armor. Yes, it may be difficult to get your guns on the little ship as he maneuvers, but when you do he's going to be picking splinters out of his ass for weeks.

I hope so much crap stays back there...  Please for the love of whatever you hold dear, don't bring the bad from that game to this game.  I don't want to see it ruined before it even gets going.  So far the dev's are sticking to their guns and for that I praise and commend them.  

Life is not balanced, you make due with what you got.  Small ship = speed+maneuverability, Larger ship = armor+firepower.  Both are feasible.  Pick your style, succeed with it.  

As I pretty much said, I have no wish for anything of that format to be implemented. Also the players who come to Naval Action with a PotBS mindset need to sit down and have a bit of a rethink as I as well as almost everybody else do not wish to see this game run anywhere near those lines.

• Like 1