Game-Labs Forum
admin

Damage, Cannons, Repairs, Firing, Aiming - suggestions and feedback

One of several examples that arming your ship only with Carronades was a bad idea is the Battle of Valparaiso where the USS Essex, armed only with Carronades, was hammered into submission by long range fire from the long guns of the HMS Pheobe & Cherub. 

My ship was sunk, either by guns or by collision with a fort - don't know which. It took a minute for me to realize what had happened.

Need an indicator or message. After about a 20 second pause, maybe longer, I saw my ship and the flag went white. I could not be on my ship after that, and went to spectator view.

I think when a ship is sunk, you should have an animation displaying that taking place. Only after that should you be off into spectator view.

I've seen several posts about guys using different cannon. How can you do that?  In Alpha, choices of ships have been two for me. Apparently you have to do battle and win to earn more. This was not explained to me. My message was to be testing the sailing and tacking,etc.

I've seen several posts about guys using different cannon. How can you do that?  In Alpha, choices of ships have been two for me. Apparently you have to do battle and win to earn more. This was not explained to me. My message was to be testing the sailing and tacking,etc.

Select your ship, then click "Constructor" at the bottom center of the window - you'll get an interface that lets you choose armament.

I know about the alt key, but something i find bothersome is you have to be very careful to have completely stopped the mouse from moving before you release it, otherwhise you risk losing your elevation. It just doesnt "feel" right to have to be delicate with the aiming of something as big and heavy as a deck gun. A captain simply glancing around the ship shouldn't have the effect of destabilising every single gun on a whole side of the ship.

Note that i'm not talking about marking the elevation relative to the waterline but relative to the ship - You'd have to guess if the heel angle was close to where it was on the previous shot.

Basically what i'm getting at is the process should be shoot-adjust-shoot, not shoot-lose position completely-try to remember position-adjust-shoot

When you mention that it was up to individual crew to lay the guns themselves it got me thinking. Is there anything in-game representing the gunners' ability to zero in on a target with each subsequent shot? If we are representing the imperfection of each gunner's shot, why not their ability to adjust based on where the shot lands?

May I suggest that an additional aim marker showing previous shoot elevation/or aim point? this would help a lot. 

The current FPS style aiming required a very steady hand and I agree it is too delicate at the moment, I suggest a option to restrict mouse movement in aim mode to X Y axis only to allow better handling and allow the use of scroll wheel to adjust gun elevation.  I think this will make aiming easier. 

• Like 3

May I suggest that an additional aim marker showing previous shoot elevation/or aim point? this would help a lot. 

The current FPS style aiming required a very steady hand and I agree it is too delicate at the moment, I suggest a option to restrict mouse movement in aim mode to X Y axis only to allow better handling and allow the use of scroll wheel to adjust gun elevation.  I think this will make aiming easier. 

Second that - would be great to not simply throw all the aim overboard by touching the mouse. Aim Setting could require a mouse button to modify? whatever the devs come up with - right now the manual aiming system is fun but it's execution is somewhat tedious because one is constantly thrown off it. After all, cannons where aimed with pulleys and wedges afaik.

• Like 1

It all looks pretty promising. Thanks for making it available.

I find the gunnery to be too hard. The concepts of spotting and ranging shots sound good, but it is still, for me, too hard.

Keep up the good work.

Again I have to say that I like it the way it is now as it provides us with challenges similar to those experienced by the real gunners during the period. Also I'm sure you guys will adjust and improve your gunnery dramatically within just a few days, I know I did as I wasn't capable of hitting much of anything to begin with.

• Like 1

Problem: Cannon shot spread only appears to be in one plane. What I mean by this if that sentence isnt clear enough is that it appears (only picked up on this after sailing a frigate with alot more guns) that their is a dispersion rate left or right but all the balls look to fall on the same line.

Why its a problem: I would assume that the range would be effected some as well with some shot falling long and other shot short. It at least doesn't appear like that is trully happening.

Fix: I would propose a fore and aft dispersion along with a horizontal dispersion of the cannon shot.

• Like 2

You really notice this after a fight with AI in a lineship. Dozens of shotholes will be in a perfect row, uniformly two feet from the water.

I know about the alt key, but something i find bothersome is you have to be very careful to have completely stopped the mouse from moving before you release it, otherwhise you risk losing your elevation. It just doesnt "feel" right to have to be delicate with the aiming of something as big and heavy as a deck gun. A captain simply glancing around the ship shouldn't have the effect of destabilising every single gun on a whole side of the ship.

Note that i'm not talking about marking the elevation relative to the waterline but relative to the ship - You'd have to guess if the heel angle was close to where it was on the previous shot.

Basically what i'm getting at is the process should be shoot-adjust-shoot, not shoot-lose position completely-try to remember position-adjust-shoot

When you mention that it was up to individual crew to lay the guns themselves it got me thinking. Is there anything in-game representing the gunners' ability to zero in on a target with each subsequent shot? If we are representing the imperfection of each gunner's shot, why not their ability to adjust based on where the shot lands?

What if the angle could not be adjusted freely but rather only if a modifier key is held down or by using the mousewheel. It would make adjusting the angle of your cannons feel more solid.

Yup, range dispersion should be several times greater than deflection dispersion. Shots should fall in an oval with the long axis oriented along the line from the guns to the target. That would mean that if you were aiming at the hull of a ship at mid-range and had your range perfect, a majority of shots would go into the hull, but some would also fall short in the ocean and fly high through the rigging.

What if the angle could not be adjusted freely but rather only if a modifier key is held down or by using the mousewheel. It would make adjusting the angle of your cannons feel more solid.

Using the mouse wheel for elevation is a good idea. This is not a fsp. So mouse aiming should go. Key aiming for both elevation and sideways adjusment is needed. Which stays where you left it for next time you fire.

• Like 1

Again I have to say that I like it the way it is now as it provides us with challenges similar to those experienced by the real gunners during the period. Also I'm sure you guys will adjust and improve your gunnery dramatically within just a few days, I know I did as I wasn't capable of hitting much of anything to begin with.

Dear Sir, actually we aren't proposing a change to gunnery here - we are discussing a usability issue connected to the sensitiveness of mouse controls. Learning is and should be a part of the game experience - while taking the hand of the mouse for aiming purposes and simply only playing by keyboard really puts me back to the nineties... in the way of controller scheme.

• Like 1

Using the mouse wheel for elevation is a good idea. This is not a fsp. So mouse aiming should go. Key aiming for both elevation and sideways adjusment is needed. Which stays where you left it for next time you fire.

Keep mouse control sideways adjustment only, while mouse wheel to adjust elevation. This will keep control simple and do not need extra key seting to play the game.

Keep mouse control sideways adjustment only, while mouse wheel to adjust elevation. This will keep control simple and do not need extra key seting to play the game.

This isn't a bad idea... I must agree.

So what if i have to get from min elevation to almost max elevation in short time? Do i have to scroll for 1 min?

• Like 1

Should chainshot not destroy rigging more effectively and immobilise enemy?

Grape is anti-personnel so should successful shots achieve what they were intended for loss of crew also equalling virtual immobile or loss of control because the captain is standing alone on his poop deck!

I believe there is some vertical dispersion ingame atm, however I agree that it is very little and an increase is justifiable as long as it isn't overdone.

I believe that perhaps a 1 m hori x 1.5 m vert dispersion at 500 m would be appropiate.

By comparison a 75mm WW2 AT gun had a dispersion of 0.3 x 0.3 m at 1,000 m.

So what if i have to get from min elevation to almost max elevation in short time? Do i have to scroll for 1 min?

Mouse wheel action should be tedious to say the least, to reflect the hoisting around of the gun. Maybe it should rather take 2 mins? Actually I would propose RL assessories purchasable through amazon - how about a 1:1 canon replica with awesome USB wedges to fix hight? *sarcasm off*

What is it with us dedicated gamers that makes us the most conservative bunch on the planet when it comes to UI changes? In every game every forum erupts when usabilty issues are discussed. Once they are implemented the flame war really flares up - people write petitions, only to settle down quietly a few days later, admitting in a follow up post that maybe it wasn't so bad after all. I even catch myself doing the same. Haha. Must be getting old... Or maybe it's a good sign: Still a core gamer at heart!