Game-Labs Forum
admin

Speed, turning, wind angles, heel, sails - suggestions and feedback

Harry White    175

I have found that the constitution doesn't heel/lean much at all, but when I look at the Bellona in fights it looks ready to roll over, is this a characteristic of the ships? 

BungeeLemming    1,484

I bring this one up again:

Let us have more rudder control. Control of every 90 (or more) degrees the rudder can move.

how to implement? maybe this way:

Holding the A/D key will gradually move the rudder. When quickly pressing the opposite (D/A) key (only once needed) the helm will spin back to the zero position. Keep double tapping. its great.

Why?

Because I want to trick people. To let them think they have the advantage over me (when they actually are about to loose it).

When two ships are both sailing downwind and one is slower he will get the weather gauge over time. But he cannot shoot in the process. Thats where the rudder comes into play and can help bearing down at the target more reliably.

I use this a lot to steal the wind. But I have to do it with yard control wich is not as precise as I wish.

Also I think this can smoothen out tacking for very good players.

Barberouge    721

thanks all for the tips, with some practice, tackling work great once you figure out how to position the sails correctly. 

Once you master tacking with square riggers (ships with square sails), you can start playing with the yards in other situations. For example they can help turning, or slow the ship without furling the sails. A good experience is to put the square rigger dead into the wind, and try to get it out of there without touching the rudder.

Edward Vernon    329

Once you master tacking with square riggers (ships with square sails), you can start playing with the yards in other situations. For example they can help turning, or slow the ship without furling the sails. A good experience is to put the square rigger dead into the wind, and try to get it out of there without touching the rudder.

If only we had the open playing field in which to do this practice it would be great, but if only for the sake of your team mates you cannot start doing your own thing with sail trimming and the like in either PvP or PvE

If only we had the open playing field in which to do this practice it would be great, but if only for the sake of your team mates you cannot start doing your own thing with sail trimming and the like in either PvP or PvE

Hearhear.  Hopefully once the game is farther along we'll have a sailing grounds where we can experiment with ship handling.

avec    5

Hearhear.  Hopefully once the game is farther along we'll have a sailing grounds where we can experiment with ship handling.

Agree. Not the correct topic but still about experimenting and training. Training grounds for cannon practice could also be nice. Maybe fire at static targets on shore or anchored boats then the possibility to fire at dynamic (moving) targets which could be a towed boat/drone.

Bonden    10

Not sure if this is the right place for this one, but it relates to the UI and the compass display in the bottom left corner of the screen.

At the moment you have the wind direction arrow and the compass rose rotate around a static "north up" ship image. This to me is totally counter-intuitive and I would suggest that most people are used to orienting themselves around a North Up Compass. My suggestion is to make the Compass Rose static with North up (naturally) and have the ship rotate around inside to display course/heading. The added advantage (later) with this is that when shifting wind directions are introduced then it will become obvious that the wind has change because that will then move against the static compass rose to show the new direction. At the moment it would be hard to appreciate a wind shift.

Hello

I also agree that the image of the ship should turn and the compass rose should be static: it would be much easier to locate the ship in relation to its 'dead angle' (6 points from wind direction).

RAMJB    972

Hello

I also agree that the image of the ship should turn and the compass rose should be static: it would be much easier to locate the ship in relation to its 'dead angle' (6 points from wind direction).

I like it the way it is. I find it really intuitive.

Maybe a possible solution might be in the future to have an option to choose between both modes?. That way everyone would be happy :).

I agree whit hernan i had the same pb whit the suprise. Cant ssee where i aim at. A better deck cam maybe possible whitout needing to go out to get to the next side. Maybe able to turn more like 360 at the deck. And still have tge mouse to activate it like it is done now.

r6751    6

Quote:

Correct apparent wind and heel

We are gradually improving the system. It is currently (good enough) and we have other areas completely lacking that also need our attention. Once we plug all leaks we will improve heel and wind mechanics. 

Fore-aft rigs will be fixed based on feedback

Square rigs will be also tuned based on feedback.

I put in my vote for correcting the fore-aft rigs that should sail better into the wind than the square sails. These ships are usually smaller and so more threatened in combat against larger square rigged ships.

The heel of the ship should have a lot to do with the aim of guns. The range will change when the guns are aimed higher.

All in all, I am pleased with the game mechanics. The devs have done a great job. We are in Alpha, so more treasures to come.

Edward Vernon    329

Well Starboard was originally Steerboard as it was the right side of the vessel on which the steering oar or Steerboard was placed by custom. I don't know the etymology of Larboard or Port, but then I cba to look it up.

KillBox    41

Well Starboard was originally Steerboard as it was the right side of the vessel on which the steering oar or Steerboard was placed by custom. I don't know the etymology of Larboard or Port, but then I cba to look it up.

I'd heard a story that "Larboard" came about from a Cockney-ish slang mutation - "Left from Starboard - Larboard"

Then again, I can't exactly place where I'd read this or if it's even true.

From http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=larboard

larboard (n.) dictionary.gif "left-hand side of a ship" (to a person on board and facing the bow), 1580s, from Middle English ladde-borde (c.1300), perhaps literally "the loading side," if this was the side on which goods were loaded onto a ship, from laden "to load" +bord "ship's side." Altered 16c. on influence of starboard, then largely replaced by the specialized sense of port (n.1). to avoid confusion of similar-sounding words. The Old English term was bæcboard, literally "back board" (see starboard).

ThePfeil    36

From http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=larboard

larboard (n.) dictionary.gif "left-hand side of a ship" (to a person on board and facing the bow), 1580s, from Middle English ladde-borde (c.1300), perhaps literally "the loading side," if this was the side on which goods were loaded onto a ship, from laden "to load" +bord "ship's side." Altered 16c. on influence of starboard, then largely replaced by the specialized sense of port (n.1). to avoid confusion of similar-sounding words. The Old English term was bæcboard, literally "back board" (see starboard).

In german it is "Backbord" and "Steuerbord", we're "old school" I guess. :P

But then modern navies today say right and left rudder. As in "Right (Left) 10 Degrees Rudder: Indicates a turn of the rudder a designated number of degrees to the right or to the left of amidships." Again to simplify presumably.

See http://www.history.navy.mil/library/online/commands_order.htm

I've heard this, and it's definitely odd that they changed.