Game-Labs Forum
admin

Speed, turning, wind angles, heel, sails - suggestions and feedback

admin    28,104

Topics will be moderated heavily to stay on the subject. 

Format of the topic

In case of the problem

• Problem
  • Why it is a problem
  • What should developers do to fix the problem

In case of praise of features you like format is free.

When discussing the problem please quote the problem you are referring to

maturin    5,454

Cutter is far too slow closehauled. Speed of 3.7 knots at wind angle 45 degrees.

Closehauled speed should be 60-70% of top speed, I'd say.

Yep, fore and aft rigs shouldn't have hardly any drag when pointing right upwind.

Right now they usually come to a full halt when trying to tack. That's bad, unfun and unrealistic.

Remove most of the upwind drag on fore and aft ships.

The game, although at an early stage, is a lot of fun. The actual netcode handling sailing, cannon shots etc works impressively well. It's even fun just to sail around.

Hawke    69

I agree about the fore and afts, with the current leveling restricts we're going to be using them for sometime, and frankly the thought of that is a little daunting to me considering the current state of these vessels. 

NorthernWolves    1,309

Problem: No way to individually raise and lower sails on each mast in manual, only a way to turn them.

Why: Tacking would be so much easier if I could raise masts 2 and 3 and lower 1 in the beginning of the turn. Forgive my lack of proper sailing terminology. Having full control of individual masts and sails would be nice and more realistic.

What should you do: Add 1 key per mast to control the raising and lowering of each set of sails while in manual. For example R for mast 1, hit it once and sails go up all the way, hit it again and they lower. Of course W and S will still override any command.

If there is already a way to do this, no one knows, I've asked.

Problem: On the Surprise...where is my Surgeon??

Why is this a problem: Are you serious?

What should you do: Fix it, now.

Oh I had to.

;)

Absolon    6

I posted most of this under ship suggestions, but to add to the point of sail comments..

Fore aft sails should trim (and auto trim) to 45 degrees apparent wind, however, leeway or tracking sideways should increase dramatically after about 60 degrees with ships of this era. Some designs should be more "weatherly" then others. 

A lynx/cutter/ and especially xebec type rigs should be able to run away to weather (towards the wind) from  a ship rig such as the surprise. Not faster (max speed function of waterline length), but accelerate, point into the wind better, and much less leeway.

I believe max efficient point for fore aft rigs should be somewhere between 50 and 60 degrees apparent, with trim possible to 40 degrees (pinching).  Having used unity in past projects, I am sure this is possible physics, and will allow you to adjust the angle of force to allow more heel

heel should increase dramatically as you go between 90 and 45 degrees apparent, and fall of dramatically after 45 degrees as you pinch into the wind.

Ship  slamming (modern racing term) should be more pronounced at about 50 degrees into the wind. the boat should chop harder into waves (note pics in my gallery). In other words, pitch more fore and aft when going upwind.

When off the wind and running deep (dead downwind to broad reaching) Roll side to side should be more pronounced. This in turn would effect the challenges of gunnery.

nornica    245

My proposition for one additional thing:

Stealing wind, when one ship is near second one in a line of wind he can block the strenght of wind for that ship, causing that ship to sail slower..

Absolon    6

was considering this also.   it's something I'm very familiar with, but not sure how hard it would be to implement.  it would have to be based on height of rig, strength of wind,  the size and shape of the effected area would also change with a ships apparent wind angle.

Leviathan    1,032

My proposition for one additional thing:

Stealing wind, when one ship is near second one in a line of wind he can block the strenght of wind for that ship, causing that ship to sail slower..

I believe this was brought up in the testing forum months ago and the devs said it wasn't going to be added. It didn't add enough to the gameplay or was not worth the work. I can't remember the exact quote but don't expect to see this feature.

BungeeLemming    1,484

Its not fantasy. Every sail is making a windshadow wich can cause smaller vessels to loose speed.

Devs decided not to implement this because of the potential of trolling that may go hand in hand.

I think racing should not be forgotten in this game and wind shadow is an important and fun part of racing.

I don't think a little loss of speed would be much of grief and if done by an enemy it's not griefing, it's combat. If a friendly is wind shadow griefing for more than 10 seconds, just let us double shot the bitches.

My signature is a constant plea for wind shadow.

Feriluce    15

Stealing wind is fantasy thing the ships dont stop instantly either.

It's most certainly not fantasy. When racing you have to be really careful not to end up in the shadow of another boat or you'll slowly lag behind. You can also use it when going downwind to try and slow down an opponent in front of you.

CaptLouis    25

Problem: Turning while stopped.

Why: IRL rudder effectiveness is dramatically reduced when travelling below steerage way speed.

Fix: Reduce turning capability when travelling below steerage way speed. The rudder should still 'answer' but provide minimal turning capability.

NOTE: hull weight should have a significant affect on acceleration/deceleration, e.g. cutter should decelerate rapidly when entering no-go zone, but keep turning momentum, and accelerate quickly as it pays-off - as of now it gets stuck in irons, when IRL it should tack much quicker than the other vessels. It should still be possible to heave-to in all vessels (back foresail, spill main and steer to windward) to maintain attitude in high wind, and in fact it should be very difficult to 'stop' a boat in high wind. The above comments about leeway are also extremely valid and highly desireable for realism and gameplay purposes, e.g. unrated vs rated fights.

admin    28,104

Wind stealing

Will not be implemented. You probably already know that trolling will happen and wind stealing its impossible to defend against and track. Trolls can safely ruin your experience without any opportunity for us to prove they did it.

Turning while stationary.

We needed to give a player the ability to at least turn slowly You can for example assume that your sailors are using wind, anchors, boats to turn your ship. It is possible logically, and it is not magic. 

Correct apparent wind and heel

We are gradually improving the system. It is currently (good enough) and we have other areas completely lacking that also need our attention. Once we plug all leaks we will improve heel and wind mechanics. 

Fore-aft rigs will be fixed based on feedback

Square rigs will be also tuned based on feedback.

Hernann    1

I`d like to add another problem i haven`t read so far, yesterday i finaly unlocked the surprise ship and once in a while the middle square sails completely covered/blinded my view area while trying to shoot by the broadside. would it be possible for the sails to become semi-transparent while aiming? 

Also +1 for the tacking issue, ships shouldn`t end in a dead stop or going backward. it might be realistic, but not fun.

Feriluce    15

I`d like to add another problem i haven`t read so far, yesterday i finaly unlocked the surprise ship and once in a while the middle square sails completely covered/blinded my view area while trying to shoot by the broadside. would it be possible for the sails to become semi-transparent while aiming? 

Also +1 for the tacking issue, ships shouldn`t end in a dead stop or going backward. it might be realistic, but not fun.

But that is how you tack in a square rigged ship. You go into the wind, stop and let it push you backwards and around onto your new course.

Mirones    875

I`d like to add another problem i haven`t read so far, yesterday i finaly unlocked the surprise ship and once in a while the middle square sails completely covered/blinded my view area while trying to shoot by the broadside.

,,B,, is the key to your salvation

admin    28,104

you can change transparency in settings

tacking surprise is very easy - but it should get stuck into the wind if you miss the maneuver. You can even tack by just using the yards.

there is a video on tacking on the forum in the sea trials part

akd    2,622

It is not only realistic, but can useful in certain circumstances, which translates into fun. I've used it before to get a second raking shot into an enemy's stern that would have been impossible if I continued forward during my tack. Just remember that when your speed goes negative (or is about to go negative), immediately reverse the direction of your rudder, then switch it back once you start moving forward again after turning through the wind.

The combination of manual sail control and rudder reversal can let you do some cool things when maneuvering close and slow.

NorthernWolves    1,309

Turning while stationary.

We needed to give a player the ability to at least turn slowly You can for example assume that your sailors are using wind, anchors, boats to turn your ship. It is possible logically, and it is not magic. 

Yeah, I've always assumed it may not be showing everything that's going on graphically, but as long as it did happen and isn't pure magic I'll buy it all day long.

Glad you guys are taking feedback in, lots of developers are like "here ya go, enjoy'.

P.S. I have a ton of FPS headroom for additional (optional) men, rowboats, Killicks, sloths.... *cough* hint *cough  :)

Edward Vernon    329

Not sure if this is the right place for this one, but it relates to the UI and the compass display in the bottom left corner of the screen.

At the moment you have the wind direction arrow and the compass rose rotate around a static "north up" ship image. This to me is totally counter-intuitive and I would suggest that most people are used to orienting themselves around a North Up Compass. My suggestion is to make the Compass Rose static with North up (naturally) and have the ship rotate around inside to display course/heading. The added advantage (later) with this is that when shifting wind directions are introduced then it will become obvious that the wind has change because that will then move against the static compass rose to show the new direction. At the moment it would be hard to appreciate a wind shift.