Game-Labs Forum

[PvP One] Revival of the Daily Small Battle Challenge

Liq

=================================================================================================================================
Until the Wipe: No official Leaderboard / Prize Pool, 5th rates max please - at 18:55 servertime
=================================================================================================================================

After getting tired of sailing around and not fighting anything worth attacking for a good fight (barely see vets anywhere in the OW anymore), I decided to make an effort and try to revive the daily small battle challenge which was once created by @Fellvred. I'm going to simply copy most of his settings/rules, since I think he did a very good job on setting those up.

What is the daily small battle challenge?

Every day at a specific time, a small battle with rules on what ship max. allowed to join will be held. Depending on how well you do, you get points. After 7 days, the players will receive rewards, depending on their place in the weekly leaderboard.
The main goal is to generate PvP for both vets and new players, encouraging them to participate in events and improve their skills by providing some loot.

Point distribution (for the first week)

• Win - 0.3 points
  • Kill - 0.3 points
  • Assist - 0.1 points

There will also be bonus points for players joining in not the biggest shiprate allowed. The idea is to encourage new players that had just recently bought the game to not feel locked out. Show them, how beautiful the game really is. That way they might also stay for a while. :)

• Players joining in a 6th rate will receive 0.5 points,
  • Joining in a 7th rate will provide 0.8 points (Only for captains that are new, lowest 3 ranks (40, 60, 120 crew command))
  • Joining in an Indefatigable will result in a penalty of 0.5 points for the battle. (42pdr Carronade setup seems a little too good for those kinds of battles.)
  • Groups consisting of more than 3 players will receive a small penalty: 4 per group = 0.1; 5 per group = 0.2, 6 per group = 0.3 etc.

I will list all results in the following document, free for anyone to see.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Pl07BnB4V5pV-sHMXjWnesP5IfSKq3kQdHB_o1BIX18/edit?usp=sharing

Rules

• For the first week (Starting on Tuesday, 14th of March), the biggest ships allowed to join will be 5th rates. I know there is no way of literally stopping any bigger ships from joining, but we can ban them from the prize pool.
  • Griefing will not be tolerated. It will be made public in global chat what rank of ship max. is allowed to join. If you join in anything bigger, you will first be warned at and at the second offence be banned from the current's week prizepool. Offensive language towards other players will first result in a warning, second offence will make you unable to score points for the current battle; a third offence will ban you for the whole current week.
  • Players will not have to participate in all of the small battles in a week if they want to be on the top of the scoreboard after a week. Each captains top 3 battles (points wise) will be added together, so in case you miss a few battles, you still have a chance of winning the main prize.
  • Escaping early from a battle is a cowardlike behaviour that can ruin the whole battle for your team and denies point credits for the enemy team. Only bring a ship you're willing to let go a dura from. Escaping from a battle will result in losing any points gained in the current battle AND a 0.5 points penalty for your total weekscore. Surrendering is fine, but don't escape.
  • Battles can and will most likely last for the whole 90 minutes. If, after the 90 minutes run out, there are still captains on both sides alive, the team that has 2x the BR will get the points for a victory (0.3 points). If this is not the case, the battle will be considered as a draw and captains will just get points for their kills/assists (and points for joining in a smaller ship).

Prize Pool
For the current week (Monday, 20th of March - Saturday, 25th of March), The prize pool will consist of the following:

• 50 million Gold
  • 5x LH contracts
  • 5x paint chests
  • Set of 5 golden craftable upgrades (Extra Hammocks; Rum Rations; Copper Plating; Optimized Rudder; Improved Magazine access)
  • 5000 coal (donated by @Kloothommel)
  • 3000 silver - by Jon Snow lets go
  • 10000 Live Oak frame parts - by Ravern
  • Exceptional Reinforced Sail (donated by @sruPL)
  • Renommee - Barra (donated by @Black Duchess)
  • Renommee - Barra (donated by @JollyRoger1516)
  • Cerberus - Carota - by JollyRoger1516
  • Renommee Barra, Niagara Classic White, Constitution Swiss Guard, Essex Sicily, Pavel Pink Royale - by ZuLu oNe5432
  • Endymion - by Przemo
  • Indefatigable Note (donated by @Black Duchess)
  • Santisima - Swiss Guard (donated by @Black Duchess)
  • 3rd Rate Blueprint (donated by @Black Duchess)
  • Bucentaure Blueprint (by Totalnoobness)
  • Victory Blueprint (by Totalnoobness)
  • Santisima Blueprint (by Totalnoobness)
  • Mortar Brig Blueprint (donated by @Black Duchess)
  • Exceptional Ship with Pirate Refit bonus (Any craftable ship except special BP ones) (Kindly donated by @Otto Kohl)

Prize distribution
The prizes will be distributed the following way:

• The gold will be split on the top 30% of the players. Example: If there is a total amount of 100 captains participating, Rank 1-10 (top 10%) will receive 50%, rank 11-20 30% and rank 21-30 20% of the prize pool.
  • The other prizes will be given out according to the principle of "First come, First serve"  principle, so that winners dont have to wait for the first guys to make their decision. Speeds up the prizedistribution by a lot and also encourages players to actively look up the prize pool.

If you have any ideas regarding other items for the prize pool or want to donate to it, feel free to message me ingame on PvP 1 - Nickname Liquicity.

Teamspeak
@JollyRoger1516 kindly offered a teamspeak server for both sides to use - one channel per side. If you want to join your teammates on teamspeak in a battle, please use the following ts3 server ip: 51.254.143.198

Additional Information

• For now, there are no restrictions regarding upgrades like marines or fireship-fitting. In case they get out of control and battles turn into a boarding / fireship meta, we might have to agree on a ban on them (In a meaning of those that use them Won't get any points awarded; I am very well aware of the fact that there is no way to ban something).
  • Grouping up can be fun, but it can also result in a big down-morale for the enemy side. My proposal: If you are in a big group, of say 10, please try to split your group into several smaller groups (e.g. two groups of 3 and a group of 2).
  • Picking on the small ships / new players first while being in a bigger ship and there being bigger enemy ships to sink is seen as unsporting. The whole idea and goal of this is to have fun. Please keep that in mind.
  • All battle results will be posted as screenshot here:

Important:

Please vote at what servertime you would like to have the small battle. The first battle will start today, 14th of March.
http://www.strawpoll.me/12527587

Edited by Liquicity
  • Like 19

Announcing rank 1-3 winners of each week. Check the Google Document for the whole leaderboard.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Pl07BnB4V5pV-sHMXjWnesP5IfSKq3kQdHB_o1BIX18/edit#gid=0

Week 1 - 14th to 18th of March:

• 1st place - dron441 - total score of 5.3 - Prize of 1'819'000 gold and an excpetional PB L'Ocean.
  • 2nd place - Moscalb - total score of 5.1 - Prize of 1'819'000 gold and 5 paint chests.
  • 3rd place - Sacrebleu - total score of 4.2 - Prize of 1'819'000 gold and 10 sealed bottles.

Week 2 - 20th to 25th of March:

• 1st place - rediii - total score of 5.9 - Prize of 2'273'000 gold and ???
  • 2nd place - Croat - total score of 4.8 - Prize of 2'273'000 gold and ???
  • 3rd place - Potemkin - total score of 4.6 - Prize of 2'273'000 gold and ???
Edited by Liquicity

5 minutes ago, Pitxagorri said:

@Liquicity is going to be any Team speak for the "teams"?

I guess we could organize two channels on a nation TS, but since I dont own my own server, I'll have to ask for it first. Good point, though. :) 

• Like 1

Just now, rediii said:

Thanks for organizing!

At which time will it be today?

It looks like the first battle will be held at either 18.00 or 19.00 server time - I am aware that most players are not online at this time and therefore cannot vote, but in the Small Battles organized by @Fellvred we used to have good battles at 19.00 ish servertime. Info will be posted early enough in global chat.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Liquicity said:

It looks like the first battle will be held at either 18.00 or 19.00 server time - I am aware that most players are not online at this time and therefore cannot vote, but in the Small Battles organized by @Fellvred we used to have good battles at 19.00 ish servertime. Info will be posted early enough in global chat.

hey mate i have made a pool months ago :) i think the best time is 20:45 server time

Guest sruPL

count AHOY in.

I would love to see flexible event time, with respect to Port Battles & RvR. Today Salamanca 20:26

Also to make it avalaible for all captains, different times for different days. 1 player just needs 3 fights for leaderboard.

@Liquicity

Edited by sruPL

Interesting. Shall we say 18.00 servertime for todays small battle? Given most of the participants are probably going to go online in the evening and Salamanca PB happening at 20.00 ish servertime

Edited by Liquicity
  • Like 2

Guest sruPL
1 minute ago, Pitxagorri said:

I dont know if ill be there, we have PB in salamanca :/ Ejem Ejem @sruPL

Don't worry, I will finish you quickly in Small Battle so I can do the same later on in PB :P

1 hour ago, Liquicity said:

For the first week (Starting on Tuesday, 14th of March), the biggest ship allowed to join will be 5th rates

Would just change this for clarification. That bigger ships will be able to join but obviously won't be able to receive any points from the battle.

57 minutes ago, Liquicity said:

I guess we could organize two channels on a nation TS, but since I dont own my own server, I'll have to ask for it first. Good point, though. :) 

I used to have a few rooms on the Danish TS for the small battle challenge back when Fellvred was running it. Mostly Swedish and Danish were using them, but I would be happy to offer the use of the Danish TS for the Small Battle Challenge.

1 hour ago, Liquicity said:

If we run into any trouble with the Nation Server for this I will offer the UKS server as a backup on which to run this event (got 512 slots so we shouldn't run into any problems :D ).

Would love to see it at 1600 to 1700 start though to keep it out of the way of port battles and allow for people to participate without having to choose between different activities.

Also if you want I would craft an Exceptional, Live Oak, Strong Hull, Strength, Victory for next weeks prize pool.

Edited by JollyRoger1516
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Anolytic said:

Would just change this for clarification. That bigger ships will be able to join but obviously won't be able to receive any points from the battle.

Correct. There is no way to stop bigger ships from joining (...custom battle room..please?!), so the only thing we can do is ban them from getting into the prize pool.

21 minutes ago, Anolytic said:

I would be happy to offer the use of the Danish TS for the Small Battle Challenge.

That's great. Best would probably be to have 2 channels, red and blue, joinable for anyone without having any ts-perms. thank you! 
Edit: Jolly already set up channels, but still thanks for your offer .)

Edited by Liquicity

1 minute ago, JollyRoger1516 said:

Would love to see it at 1600 to 1700 start though to keep it out of the way of port battles and allow for people to participate without having to choose between different activities.

Problem is, most players come online after that time you proposed, so we'll probably have to see what time is best for each day (maybe 18.00 for today, looking at salamanca's PB at 20.00)

3 minutes ago, JollyRoger1516 said:

Also if you want I would craft an Exceptional, Live Oak, Strong Hull, Strength, Victory for next weeks prize pool.

Will keep in mind. thanks!

Post updated - Time set for 18.00 for today, due to a port battle, so players can take part in both events if they wish to.
The time can be flexible. Tomorrow might be one hour later, because the only port battle tomorrow will be at 21ish servertime. Info will be posted depending on players response.

• Like 1

i wuold like to remember that the queue time to join a small battle is bugged since ages, so u cant enter the small battle from port in the last minute of queue cause the real lobby close at 4 minute. so remember to join before last minute because if u dont u will find urself alone against AI.

today battle will start at 17:59 server time

• Like 3