Game-Labs Forum

UGCW Feedack 0.76 and higher

You start off with your own Corps fighting on the left flank, then after the timer runs down or you fully capture and secure Shiloh Church, you start controlling the right flank of the battle to capture Larkin Bell and Spain Fields.  Once you capture and fully secure one of those, the battle switches back to Shiloh Church, and you have to fend off a Union counter-attack (or, as I do in most cases, chase them down until the timer runs out), at which point you go back to the right flank to attack the Hornet's Nest.  Once you capture the Hornet's Nest, the battle opens up and you can control all your men at once to capture Pittsburg Landing.  You just haven't played far enough into the battle to realize all the bits.

It's not really jarring because you can see the timers going down and there's some sort of expectancy that's building up, and there's also the blob of text that comes up telling you what's happening.

Ok thanks Soldier. I had just gone back to a youtube video by Bundeswehr Bob where I see this happen before you replied. An interesting effect I have to admit! What I'm finding out about this game is that it has many interesting twists and turns. Certainly not your run of the mill wargame to be sure. Kudos to the team putting it together. 

And on another note....I've been reading your posts as well. I find them very informative and appreciate your comments!

Edited by civsully1

What is the point of even having that part of the battle then?

This is one of my gripes with union Shiloh as well. They make you hold on to "important" victory locations and then just tell you to retreat. Only Pittsburgh Landing actually matters.

Perhaps there should be some kind of extra benefit for holding these points?

Edited by CaptainKanundrum

14 minutes ago, CaptainKanundrum said:

What is the point of even having that part of the battle then?

This is one of my gripes with union Shiloh as well. They make you hold on to "important" victory locations and then just tell you to retreat. Only Pittsburgh Landing actually matters.

Perhaps there should be some kind of extra benefit for holding these points?

If you do hold them, they count as owned by you on the second day for the counterattack, and is going to force the AI to move troops back to capture them, which can buy you some valuable time.

Here are my humble thoughts on Chickamauga and the Patch:

The Battle is a real meatgrinder. I'v tried it countless times, but I never manage to get past day two. The fight at the crossroads and Jays mill just eats up my army, and if i take the two VP's to the South and west it's a loss. Very challenging, hope to beat it soon. 

There seems to be an issue with melee. Sometimes Units will fight it out til both are routed, sometimes a routed Unit does not retreat and stays in melee forever with my Unit if i don't order it back. Don't know if this is intended to happen or if it is a bug. I'll f11 it any time I see it.

Many a post has been written regarding cavalry, so I do not have to say a lot, but I think it works pretty good right now. I can scout forward/flanks, can secure flanks or fill a gap in my line, and i can brush skirmishers away with them. It's a bit slow, though. And it's a bit annoying that they don't keep their positions once assigned. They always retreat to the rear if I don't keep an eye on them, which makes handling them effectively very hard for me.

I also noticed that the AI seems to refuse to fight once the light fades. At least it stops attacking and stays static for the rest of the engagement, which made Chancelorsville an easy task to fulfil on day two for example.

I'll keep playing and report back as soon as I manage to beat Rosecrans :D

I've just finished Chancellorsville with latest patch as CSA and strange thing happened on 2nd day.

My flanking force, which was supposed to flank XI Corps, encountered only 2 inf and 2 art Union brigades...while most of Union troops attacked aggressively my holding corps on right flank. 

I think I could probably took farm if I pressed hard, since it was not heavily defended and my flanking corp was intact. My question: is this intentional behavior of AI or bug? 

In any case, it was really good feeling to be surprised by AI aggressiveness :) 

46 minutes ago, Slobodan said:

I've just finished Chancellorsville with latest patch as CSA and strange thing happened on 2nd day.

My flanking force, which was supposed to flank XI Corps, encountered only 2 inf and 2 art Union brigades...while most of Union troops attacked aggressively my holding corps on right flank. 

I think I could probably took farm if I pressed hard, since it was not heavily defended and my flanking corp was intact. My question: is this intentional behavior of AI or bug? 

In any case, it was really good feeling to be surprised by AI aggressiveness :) 

I had the same during my new campaign. MY firts Corps started to come down on the XI Corps, but it wasn't there. I think it's because the AI has become more aggressive and sensed it could be a good idea to attack the Roads held by the Army due to inferior numbers there. In my battle the XI corps appeared on my left flank, trying to do to me what i supposed to do to them.

As you said, a nice surprise :)

A Reserve slot in the camp would be handy -- sometimes you don't need all that artillery, cavalry, etc, and you don't want to waste the money/officers form an additonal corps to hold them in, or you don't have the extra corps slot. Obviously this reserve would not be deployable.

• Like 2

Gaines Mill, Union, Major General. I did not get all of my 1st Corps during the battle. I was missing at least 2 brigades. The reserve corps deployed properly. Did not catch it until later, so no F11, unfortunately.

On a simlar note: 22k vs 44k. Tough odds, especially when I'm missing troops!

Can we please get some kind of alert in this game so we know when we've received reinforcements? It could be something as simple as a bugle call or drum/fife cadence.

Most of the time I'm tunnel visioned on the troops on the field that I don't see the alert that I have reinforcements arriving....

10 minutes ago, Sykes said:

Can we please get some kind of alert in this game so we know when we've received reinforcements? It could be something as simple as a bugle call or drum/fife cadence.

Most of the time I'm tunnel visioned on the troops on the field that I don't see the alert that I have reinforcements arriving....

You do usually get a notification in the top-left hand corner of the screen.

What I want are notifications for Wavering and Routing friendly units as well as when a unit gets engaged in melee.  Those above all would be so useful to keep track of the battlefield.

53 minutes ago, Sykes said:

You do.

Usually, all the re-enforcement icons flood across your HUD with all your troops.

And if you suffer from "tunnel vision" you're probably zoomed in too tight.

A few things that need fixing IMHO.

1. When in fortified positions like farms, my Union troops can be flanked. How is this possible that a fortified position can be flanked?

2. My skirmishers give one volley, then they retreat. The AI's skirmishers stand, do not move and fight even against 10 times their number. How is it so?

3. 50 enemy skirmishers from behind my 2,000-man brigade can make it run away by rear-flanking. Is this possible?

4. It is very difficult to move brigades in formation of half divisions or full divisions. The right button on the mouse does not always allow it. Can we have formations, please?

5. The movement of the brigades is odd. They change face by a snake-like movement that always exposes them to flanking fire. That's not a military movement.

6. Please, make the cavalry behave like cavalry. That is, it should move forward in lines (column of squadrons), charge in lines and retreat in lines. Only when routing should they move as they do now.

Edited by Lannes

1. Borderless windowed mode would be a godsend. 

2. UI scaling would change my life (I have a 4k display).

3. When using 4k resolutions, selection box dragging does not work properly. It tries to translate the box I am dragging in a 4k space to a 1080 box in the bottom left corner of the screen. Needless to say, unuseable.

1. Setting it not-windowed mode actually works rather nice.  Fullscreen mode takes up so little power that I can switch between it and other windows pretty seamlessly, even on my laptop.  Works fine, nothing's wrong with it that bit, so I don't have any urge to get a borderless windowed mode like I do with most other games.

Can't say much about ultra-high resolutions.

Edited by The Soldier

3 hours ago, Lannes said:

A few things that need fixing IMHO.

1. When in fortified positions like farms, my Union troops can be flanked. How is this possible that a fortified position can be flanked?

With Regards to 1, perhaps a more careful balance needs to be made, but it made less sense before when you could never outflank a unit with fortifications. Even if you had a unit in front of and the behind the enemy, they got the full fortification benefit from the one stone wall. This made some fortifications ridiculously difficult to take over.

The flanking penalty, I felt, was simulating the fear, confusion, and death cause by bullets whizzing from all around you. I think that even in a full trench fortification, having bullets shot at you from all sides would have a substantial effect on your fighting capability.

• Like 2

96D0EF91897971B46D0BC42E01098EB41773879E

Crampton's Gap. I'm playing Major General... but this feels excessive. ALL CSA brigades are 3 star, and they have been since 2nd Bull Run. Gaines/Malvern were half 2* half 3*. I don't even have a 3 star brigade yet thanks to the punishment I take grinding through the elite rebel armies. I wish I could just set my difficulty to Normal without restarting -- This feels arbitrarily difficult, not fun & challenging.

35 minutes ago, Admiral666 said:

Crampton's Gap. I'm playing Major General... but this feels excessive. ALL CSA brigades are 3 star, and they have been since 2nd Bull Run. Gaines/Malvern were half 2* half 3*. I don't even have a 3 star brigade yet thanks to the punishment I take grinding through the elite rebel armies. I wish I could just set my difficulty to Normal without restarting -- This feels arbitrarily difficult, not fun & challenging.

Are all the Infantry and Artillery brigades max size, as in 2950 men and 600 men respectively?  If not, you had it so much easier than when I decided to chuck in my rookie officers and brigades to help rank them up - this was before the most recent patch that fixed the uncapped enemy armies in Minor Battles.  And I beat it.  If I can beat it with those kinds of odds, you can too. -_-

Also; the enemy brigades at Crampton's Gap are supposed to be Vet 3.  Just flank around the left, bring most of your army into the main woods and hook west.  You'll be engaging the enemy in forest, sure, but you've got one of their flanks.

Edited by The Soldier
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Soldier said:

Are all the Infantry and Artillery brigades max size, as in 2950 men and 600 men respectively?  If not, you had it so much easier than when I decided to chuck in my rookie officers and brigades to help rank them up - this was before the most recent patch that fixed the uncapped enemy armies in Minor Battles.  And I beat it.  If I can beat it with those kinds of odds, you can too. -_-

Also; the enemy brigades at Crampton's Gap are supposed to be Vet 3.  Just flank around the left, bring most of your army into the main woods and hook west.  You'll be engaging the enemy in forest, sure, but you've got one of their flanks.

Was LITERALLY going to post this exact thing when I saw your reply xD. Gg on beating me to it