Game-Labs Forum

UGCW Feedack 0.76 and higher

1 minute ago, Col_Kelly said:

You have to hold just Brotherton Road or Jay's mill if I remember correctly but not both at once or u win

You have to hold both now. It was changed a few versions before release.

38 minutes ago, vren55 said:

So to do the Horeshoe Ridge thing, I should NOT take Brotherton and Jay's mill and just defend for Day 2 for Union?

Ran a quick test and in fact you mustn't hold jay's mill AND Brotherton road, your first intuition was correct. If you only hold the 4 points at Lafayette Road at the end of day 2 you'll get to go to day 3.

3 hours ago, vren55 said:

So to do the Horeshoe Ridge thing, I should NOT take Brotherton and Jay's mill and just defend for Day 2 for Union?

Col_kelly is so confusing :P.

To trigger the horseshoe, don't capture any points on day 2 and stick to your line. You can capture one forward position if you feel like it.

On day 3, you need to retreat from your forward locations to trigger it. Once they are lost (perhaps just one of them, not sure actually), the Horseshoe point will be shown on the map.

2 hours ago, Koro said:

To trigger the horseshoe, don't capture any points on day 2 and stick to your line. You can capture one forward position if you feel like it.

5 hours ago, Col_Kelly said:

Ran a quick test and in fact you mustn't hold jay's mill AND Brotherton road, your first intuition was correct. If you only hold the 4 points at Lafayette Road at the end of day 2 you'll get to go to day 3.

... I'm going with Col Kelly on this one.  The last time I took 1 position, the game turned into a Draw

Hmm, so the battleflow is not completely logical then. It should proceed to the next day if you capture just 1 point I think. Lots of things were changed in beta along the way so we're all confused I guess :P

7 minutes ago, Koro said:

Hmm, so the battleflow is not completely logical then. It should proceed to the next day if you capture just 1 point I think. Lots of things were changed in beta along the way so we're all confused I guess :P

Considering Col Kelly just did a test... then yeah I won't capture a point. 

That does kind of bring up a thing about UG: Civil War's ... well some of the maps like this one and Chancelloresville. The system isn't entirely logical. Or if it is, the inter-battle subtext doesn't really give you much indication on how the battle is supposed to flow or can flow.

8 hours ago, vren55 said:

Question, and nobody's answered me on this yet, but what actually happens on Day 3 for Union and confeds? I'm greatly confused about the whole horshoe ridge option that I really want to try for a Union or confed victory b/c trying to take Brotherton and Jay's mill is the equivalent to a suicide mission.

WAIT how many days is the battle? I thought it ended in day 2.

Edit: ah, I forgot to count the very first day so really its 3 days.

Edited by Nox165

4 minutes ago, Nox165 said:

WAIT how many days is the battle? I thought it ended in day 2.

7 hours ago, Col_Kelly said:

8 hours ago, vren55 said:

Apparently, according to Col Kelly, if you're playing Union, you don't hold Jay's Mill and Brotherton, you can fall back to Horseshoe Ridge and win by holding it. Honestly I'm going to try that next time because trying to take both Jay's Mill and Brotherton is a bit of an exercise in futility.  

On that note... I won with Confederates, but... god. oh god I've destroyed my army. The Union defended Brotherton particularly like mad dogs.

2017-03-04 (3).png

Edited by vren55

21 hours ago, Wandering1 said:

Other disturbing things that I found out because of the further nerfs to shock cavalry; one 3 star skirmisher can hold back 6 full-size shock cavalry squads in the trees now. It takes forever to kill one 3 star skirmisher that has 100 melee, even outnumbering the skirmisher 6 to 1. Which begs the question why would anybody ever field shock cavalry, when an equal number of skirmisher brigades can get the job done quicker in the trees

Is there no real counter to skirmishers in trees now? You can't outshoot them for anything and in general most people's dedicated skirmishers won't be skilled or kitted for melee. I suppose you can throw detached skirmishers at them but it's not going to be very effective.

Bizarre game mechanics at Chickamauga ?

As confederates by 2/3 of the battle I had taken all the objectives except the last one horseshoe ridge (not yet visible in this phase). Then, when the next phase began all my troops were automatically pushed back out of these objectives ! I had then to push my (weary) troops forward again to regain these already won objectives and finally all the way up to horseshoe ridge.

That was not a big problem as I had killed most of enemies (+90%), but what was left of his cavalry quickly retook 2 objectives. And my very tired troop were very slow, still they easily prevailed against the Union's remnants to hand me victory.

I really don't understand why the game expelled me from hardly won objectives that I had just garrisoned to resist an eventual counter-attack ???

Edited by Nicolas I

1 hour ago, Nicolas I said:

I really don't understand why the game expelled me from hardly won objectives that I had just garrisoned to resist an eventual counter-attack ???

There's a known issue with Stones River that's very similar - I've captured both VPs before, but was then kicked out and forced to retake them again because the battle moved to the next phase. F11 it, definitely. Chancellorsville and Fredericksburg both have these problems as well. Confederate Shiloh, on the other hand, is a good example of things working the way they  should - no units are teleported between phases, the battle just continues. These problems are intensely annoying, especially on Legendary where taking the objectives once is hard enough. They take control away from the player and put the player in an arbitrarily bad position.

Speaking of Chancellorsville, if you're playing defense as the Confederates you get arbitrarily kicked out of your defensive positions not once but twice - and the second time your divisions are scattered to hell and gone. This is teeth-grindingly annoying, as well as lethal to the units that get stuck by themselves. Also, my II Corps commander was placed on the far west side of the map at least a mile from any of his units.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hitorishizuka said:

Is there no real counter to skirmishers in trees now? You can't outshoot them for anything and in general most people's dedicated skirmishers won't be skilled or kitted for melee. I suppose you can throw detached skirmishers at them but it's not going to be very effective.

Just walking into the skirmishers in the trees, really, since the AI will automatically run away from you. Eventually they'll run out of trees to hide in.

Not that this is the most workable solution on heavy forest maps. Like Chickamauga.

So I just played through the first day of the battle. I was able to take all but one of the points, with the last being contested. Unfortunately the battle timer ran out, with 17 left for the contested point. I was wondering if this is intentional? It was disappointing to get a defeat message, when I had routed the union forces and controlled the field save for the one point. I guess I will retry it from a bit earlier of a save.  

Edited by custard96

Okay, chiming in to also say that melee cavalry in forests have been overnerfed by the bug fix that went in. Just got through Fredericksburg on one campaign of mine, the Union has a couple units of ranged cavalry on the first map that tend to be able to leak into the forests once the AI figures out it should flank. I sent melee cavalry off to deal with them since everyone else would have problems catching up slogging through the forests near the first VP but when they did catch them, they got into a tickle fight, did literally single digits in casualties to each other (the ranged cavalry may not even have done a single one) and then the Union ranged cavalry waltzed off as if nothing had happened.

---

Actually, and as a separate piece of feedback, I kinda feel that the Fredericksburg takes too long to play without having a break. I just finished recording a two hour long video on it on CSA without realizing. While I did pause at a couple points to talk or rearrange forces, I also spent a fair portion of the battle on higher speeds once things were under control.

Realistically cavalry are pretty useless in forests because the trees and branches impede the ability to form up and charge and hinder the individual attacking properly by preventing them swinging their sabre effectively. I have not yet had a chance to play latest patch but I would hope that light woods (one tree symbol) have less of a nerf on cavalry than thick forest.

Hey Nick, thanks for the hotfix!   Was surprised on load up this A.M.

I do have a question however ... What and how to "hotfixes" affect currently running campaigns?  Granted it can't effect on the past battles, but will it impact the future battles of that campaign, and would it be wiser to dump a current campaign and start over with the newest fix?

Can the Administrators elaborate on what specific issues the new hotfix corrects?  Also are hotfixes automatically done/loaded whenever one runs the game?

This also reminds me to ask if; a version # can be found within the game to let a person know it is the most current version? The only way I can tell is if a new battle was added. Just wondering if with when a new hotfix is created if you can tell if your game has it.  Pretty new to this game within the month so still lots I don't know. Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

The hotfix will not affect your ongoing campaign. It should only address any possible issue of missing content.

Question, for Day 3 of Chikamauga, is it supposed to not have a battle timer? Because there is none for me and yet I'm not winning.

Ok so it looks like the hotfix was updated when I started the game. I'm not as far along in the campaign as most of you "ole timers" and play testers. So I'm playing the Confederate Campaign and into Part 2 of Shiloh. I'm finally in a position where I have a fair number of Union Brigades badly hurt and in 2 positions of the battlefield surrounded and begun to charge. I have a Brigade almost to the second victory point location and the other captured. There is roughly a hour left on the timer when WHAM BAM No thank you MAAM I'm "transported" to another battlefield where I have to hold Shiloh Church again????  WTHeck!

So I look at the map trying to figure out where I am, who I am, and what I'm doing when I realize....I got teleported back into time to the point at the end of Part 1! Which at that point I was teleported to Part 2 to begin that battle!!!  Then I remember at the end of Part 1 battle feeling disappointed I hadn't been able to finish off the Union at the point of the battle I would have. So now I have the same feeling again!!!

Only now, because I wasn't able to completely wipe out the Union forces (because of teleportation to Part 2) I'm back trying to get my gyros back into synch and I guess finish them off finally? OR will I within minutes of finishing them off again at Shiloh Church be re-teleported back to the near end of the Part 2 Center Front battle I just left?

So I'm really unclear if I'm in a Back to the Future (or past) Groundhog Day movie loop? And I do apologize if I'm not clear in stating this but I'm kind of foggy really.

Is there a reason why a battle can't be fought to a conclusion at Shiloh before being yanked into a different front and back again? And look, I think this game is one of the finest wargames I've ever played and it is just in early release form. Just confused on what happened here. And wonder if it had something to do with the hotfix that was applied before I resumed the game this evening?  Thanks in advance for understanding the acute psychological distress I'm experiencing at the moment. :wacko: