Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum
Rickard

New Shipwreck mechanic

new shipwreck mechanic  

35 members have voted

  1. 1. do you like the idea that i suggested in this post?

    • yes, I like the idea
    • no, I dont like the idea.
    • i have mixed feelings about this idea.


Recommended Posts

Rickard    308

hello fellow captains

for a while now i have been thinking about how to make certain feature of the game more fun and more in-depth

I came up with a new shipwreck system that would make treasure hunting and ship wreck salvage more fun and provide for more content in the game.

as first i want to point out that the current system for wrecks is a basic system (you find the location of a wreck, you sail to the wreck, you click on the wreck and you empty it) this system is fine and "thank god" it works. but i think it is time to get to the next level with this game and that is why I came up with a shipwreck mechanic that is more in-depth and gives somewhat more content to the game.

please let me know what you think about this idea through the poll that i created.

New Shipwreck Mechanic :

1 - right now shipwreck are found by sealed bottels ,to get the location of a random wreck you "USE" the sealed bottel and a location will be add on your map wich nobody else can see, i would suggest to change this.

ships sunk in battles will become visible in OW (open world) as wrecks wich everybody will be able to see , the position of the wrecks would be around the position of the battle in wich the ship(s) where sunk, this means that after a normal OW battle and Portbattles in wich ships have been sunk shipwrecks would be laying around that Area. the amound of wrecks would be equal to the ship(s) sunk in the battle.

every ship in the game will have there own shipwreck unlike the current shipwreck mechanic in wich all shipwrecks are depicted as 1 shpwreck design.

2 - 4 new shipwreck types will be introduced 

   - Beached shipwreckif a ship in a battle has been sunk close to the shore the ship will become a beached shipwreck in OW, this means that the ship will be laying on the beach and less then 30/40 % submerged ,shipwrecks wich have been beached can be salvaged by every player and dont need special Mods to do so.

  shallow shipwreckif a ship in a battle has been sunk 1 mile(1852 meters) or more away from the coast then the ship will become a shallow shipwreck , this means that only the masts will be vissible above the water line as seen in the picture below in this post. to salvage a shallow shipwreck the player will need some mods like: a diving bell, divers and a air pump to supply the diving bell with air during the salvage.

   -deep water shipwreckif a ship in a battle has been sunk 10 mile away from the coast and if the ship is almost not vissible on the sea bed ,the ship will become a deep water shipwreck. deep water shipwreck should be hard to spot on the OW and slightly vissible in the water .the player will need the very best mods in the game to salvage this shipwreck like : a copper plating diving bell, expert divers and a dubble air pump to supply both the diving bell and the divers wich will be using early diving suits and a early copper diving helmets.

after the salvage has been done the shipwreck should either be removed from the OW or it should look even more wrecked then befor to give the feeling that the ship has been ripped apart a bit.

additional ideas to this new Shipwreck mechanic could be that on the moment that somebody clicks on a wreck and clicks "salvage" a instance will be created just like a battle but only the player who is salvaging will be in the instance with the availability for other players to join the instance to either attack the salvaging player or to protect and help him. also because an instance is in real time you could look at the diving bell being lowered into the water to make everythink more realistic.

i also think that wreck should give the player more loot like : Mods , Materials , special items and junk loot.

 - special items being a captains log with a fun or educating story or the location of a other wreck or special mission of sorts or special/legendary swords ,muskets ,pistols ,books special notes/letters or just anythink that would immerse the player more into the game.

 - junk loot being wrecked materials and weapons, coins (copper ,silver and gold) and basicly anythink that could be recycled into its former state or a new material.

further more the player should in my opinion stop its ship above or next to the wreck , lower a diving bell and inspect the wreck/Area after wich the player should get information about the wreck (like : what class and type the shipwrecked ship was and to who it belonged to) or the player should be told that the inspection failed and the player has to reposition its ship and do it again just to make the whole think a bit harder to do. the amound of loot should depend on the time that the player has the diving bell lowered into the water after the inspection of the wreck gave the player the availability to salvage. 

16681632_747896135375075_2356368210036845014_n.thumb.jpg.3ad881c92e70ab8e69f955caf868c651.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Red Duke    6,298

Salvaging mechanic could be nice.

Similar to retrieving souls in dark souls or cargo canisters in space debris or backpacks...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rickard    308
3 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Salvaging mechanic could be nice.

Similar to retrieving souls in dark souls or cargo canisters in space debris or backpacks...

indeed, i think that it would get some more contend and thinks to do in the game

Edited by Rickard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Srupl    1,393

Similar to mining asteroids in Eve or scraping ship wrecks :ph34r:

Edited by sruPL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kanugane    7

Well, the entire concept of this idea seems to be right but the way to do it doesn't seem to be good enough. What's the point of a shipwreck after the fight between players? As soon as the battle is over, those who has won a battle, will simply get additional loot and sail away. It leaves nothing for the rest of the players who like to sail and explore.

I suggest to think about this idea:

Battles between AI of different nations&pirates. After the battle is over, shipwreck is left. It gives us - Random location. Which motivates us to sail and search for those shipwrecks. It also gives us another way of playing this game. Some are crafters. Some are traders. Some are fighters. And some are hunters for the shipwrecks.

My next idea only slightly touches yours, Rickard, and may be a little bit off topic but nonetheless!

Caravans. In PotBS we have caravans that sail from port to port with plenty of booty on board. Why not implement them into the game in a similar way? Let's imagine we have caravans that sail here and there. Those are being sunk by pirates AI. Players can randomly locate shipwrecks of those caravans. Players can hunt down Caravans. Players can hunt down Pirates (Who raid caravans). It's simply more stuff to do.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Angus McGregor    475

I'm left wondering if the after-battle shipwrecks are visible only to the battle victors, or everyone? I ask since making them available to everyone would ensure a new career path of 'Scavengers'. Captains who do nothing but hang at the edge of battles like vultures, waiting for the wrecks to start spawning so they can swoop in and 'steal' all the loot before the victors can exit the battle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
VonBarb    88
10 hours ago, sruPL said:

Similar to mining asteroids in Eve or scraping ship wrecks :ph34r:

My thoughts exactly. Still, I like the idea. I did spend a lot of time scavenging in EvE, and it proved quite fun and profitable. Loot in wrecks wouldn't have to match the loot carried by those ships when sunk, but include a number of random spawns, or we'd be looting a lot of fish and medkits...

It would work even better with the implementation of 'scanning' or 'intel gathering' mechanics, in the form of perks that would allow you to recieve 'rumour updates' that would let you know about recent battles and give you a general area in which to narrow down your search, or another one that would let you detect wrecks or spot battle locations from a longer distance.

I also like the idea of delayed wreck spawning to avoid ninja looting and vulturing behaviour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rickard    308
7 hours ago, Kanugane said:

Well, the entire concept of this idea seems to be right but the way to do it doesn't seem to be good enough. What's the point of a shipwreck after the fight between players? As soon as the battle is over, those who has won a battle, will simply get additional loot and sail away. It leaves nothing for the rest of the players who like to sail and explore.

 

 

indeed i agree , what about a 12 to 48 hour delay between the sinking of the ship and the shipwreck appearing in OW?

Edited by Rickard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rickard    308
5 hours ago, Angus McGregor said:

I'm left wondering if the after-battle shipwrecks are visible only to the battle victors, or everyone? I ask since making them available to everyone would ensure a new career path of 'Scavengers'. Captains who do nothing but hang at the edge of battles like vultures, waiting for the wrecks to start spawning so they can swoop in and 'steal' all the loot before the victors can exit the battle.

everybody can see the wrecks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Angus McGregor    475
5 hours ago, Hethwill said:

They could spawn only after the following maintenance cycle.

That would unduly favor those who are routinely online right after maintenance. Maybe a random period of time after the battle, but not to exceed 24 hrs?

I got a huge surprise one night (for me) when all these smuggler LGV's were all over the place. I was advised that that always happens right after server maintenance.

Edited by Angus McGregor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rickard    308
7 hours ago, Kanugane said:

 

Caravans. In PotBS we have caravans that sail from port to port with plenty of booty on board. Why not implement them into the game in a similar way? Let's imagine we have caravans that sail here and there. Those are being sunk by pirates AI. Players can randomly locate shipwrecks of those caravans. Players can hunt down Caravans. Players can hunt down Pirates (Who raid caravans). It's simply more stuff to do.

 

 

allot of people including me had hoped that the "Server Event" (wich was tested on the server in august and september of 2016) would be a big NPC fleet sailing around on the map wich you had to protect or sink but instead the devs gave us a buch of boring wrecks on a random location.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rickard    308
1 minute ago, Angus McGregor said:

That would unduly favor those who are routinely online right after maintenance. Maybe a random period of time after the battle, but not to exceed 24 hrs?

I agree.

see my earlier post i just did about the time delay between the sinking and appearing of the wreck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Challenge    84

So you want to add four new models for each ship requiring resources. New items to craft (always a plus?) for the parts and final construct of the diving apparatus for each wreck position requiring more resources. We're looking at a development intensive plan with this idea which seems to be a limiting factor in other planned or suggested development.

I'm not opposed to the idea out of hand, I'm just not sure it would be effective as presented.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rickard    308
1 hour ago, Challenge said:

So you want to add four new models for each ship requiring resources. New items to craft (always a plus?) for the parts and final construct of the diving apparatus for each wreck position requiring more resources. We're looking at a development intensive plan with this idea which seems to be a limiting factor in other planned or suggested development.

I'm not opposed to the idea out of hand, I'm just not sure it would be effective as presented.

your tottaly right dear Sir.

this is only a suggestion ,i myself also want the devs to fix the current problems and to finish what they are doing.

just see this idea as an mechanic for in the futher(if the devs think its a cool idea ofcourse).

 

Edited by Rickard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×