Game-Labs Forum

Vren55's Ultimate General Civil War Guide 1.0+ Updated

vren55

Hey! I have to add something to your assessment of the Brigadier General skill "Tactics". I got this on my Alter Ego, and in combination with the "Endurance Course" skill it is astonishing how fast your infantry (don't get me talking about the cavalry with "Horseback riding", insane!) gets. Already in the battle of Philippi my units were so much faster I was able to catch all skirmishers, in the first battle of Bull Run my units ran down the left side of the Rebs and were able to fire and retreat before the enemy units could return fire. I would almost say the combination of these skills is OP.

On 8/30/2017 at 3:08 PM, Hjalfnar_Feuerwolf said:

Hey! I have to add something to your assessment of the Brigadier General skill "Tactics". I got this on my Alter Ego, and in combination with the "Endurance Course" skill it is astonishing how fast your infantry (don't get me talking about the cavalry with "Horseback riding", insane!) gets. Already in the battle of Philippi my units were so much faster I was able to catch all skirmishers, in the first battle of Bull Run my units ran down the left side of the Rebs and were able to fire and retreat before the enemy units could return fire. I would almost say the combination of these skills is OP.

Truuuue... i dunno I don't really care for speed. My biggest concern is hammering and anvilling the crap out of my enemy with the best possible troops and so I gave the edge to Trainer and Logistics. Tactics could be useful admittedly.

On 9/4/2017 at 1:38 AM, vren55 said:

Truuuue... i dunno I don't really care for speed. My biggest concern is hammering and anvilling the crap out of my enemy with the best possible troops and so I gave the edge to Trainer and Logistics. Tactics could be useful admittedly.

In a lot of maps you need to get in position for a proper anvil though, and your hammer probably needs to execute a flanking maneuver. So a faster anvil can translate into a better position to hold and a faster hammer can allow you to hit the enemy faster, which can reduce the casualties of your anvil.

Being faster also helps keep the enemy on the run while chain routing them, and (possibly) keeps your condition higher.

I actually don't know the relation between stamina and speed, but I assume that stamina is just based on time spent walking/running through certain terrain and doesn't drain faster because you have speed perks. If this assumption is correct, then more speed also doubles as "more" stamina as it allows you to run farther on the same stamina, and will keep condition higher for combat.

• 1 year later...

Good write-up. I just started playing this and am enjoying both the game and all the user guides. Thanks. A couple of  comments since I was not affected by prior version shortcomings

1. I believe there was a bug in large artillery brigades, that was fixed in a recent upgrade
  2. The 12pdr Whitworth is an awesome weapon in the early game (i'm just getting to Bull Run). With a 2400 yard range it wrecks at midrange:  I use it on mounted artillery and exposed INF at range. Closer in it still out-ranges the CSA arty so you can stay safely out of range. They're kinda expensive and uncommon, but if you buy 2-3 from the shop when they are available, you can field a 8 gun brigade very quickly. I have a brigade of 10 now, with 3 replacements, since the shop has 0. Stay at distance and don't get overrun.

PS is it me or is the armory background sound the same as in Morrowind?

Always have a spare Major or Lt Col. in the barracks, so you have an extra officer to swap in when you want to make changes to the current assignments. That way you won't have to buy one that you dont want, just to make a few changes.

Edited by Jenska
new comments

• 1 month later...

Thanks a lot for this. Long range skirmishers with expensive guns are good and worth veteran reinforcements because they basically go ninja and just keep on wearing down their target. Hunters just don't have the rate of fire, but at least can keep skirmishers away from danger while getting them closer to 2nd star.

Edited by kafeifei