Game-Labs Forum
admin

Structural damage feedback - testbed server - moderated/structured response required

admin    25,970

please provide feedback on the structural damage

when posting feedback post your in game name on the test server
subsequent feedback without in game name will be removed from the topic

The heading should look like that

• Testbed player name
  • Ships tested
  • Approximate number of battles
  • What works and what does not and in what cases (battle specifics)

All off topic will be removed.

Ned Loe    3,784
12 minutes ago, Pablo Frias said:

First report: 4 stearn rakes with a vic against a 3rd rate = 3rd rate sinking because of the low ship structure.

4 rakes is very good. Also, Devs add some stern/structure HP mods and you we should be ok. 

-Reinforced Stern 

-Reinforced Structure

-Reinforced Bow

-Reinforced Broadsides

-Reinforced Sails

So, with a mod on we will be able to survive 1 extra rake. 

Edited by Ned Loe

Srupl    1,388
12 minutes ago, Ned Loe said:

4 rakes is very good. Also, Devs add some stern/structure HP mods and you we should be ok. 

-Reinforced Stern 

-Reinforced Structure

-Reinforced Bow

-Reinforced Broadsides

-Reinforced Sails

So, with a mod on we will be able to survive 1 extra rake. 

ughh... no. Surprise will stern rake HMS Victory or Santissima or L'Ocean 3-4 times and these ships will just go down...

Serk    215
10 minutes ago, sruPL said:

ughh... no. Surprise will stern rake HMS Victory or Santissima or L'Ocean 3-4 times and these ships will just go down...

Did you test it already? Or do large SOL' structure resist much more to smaller caliber stern rake? We are talking about a first rate raking a 3rd here. 

Edited by Serk

Pablo Frias    406

Masts are now very likely to be shot down: If your sides and structure are low, one broadside in your hull can shot down them

Edited by Pablo Frias

z4ys    1,345
5 minutes ago, van der Decken said:

Snake vs Snake, side armor at about 15% left, received extremely high crew loss from ball shot.

It was carronade aimed high at deck. Looked similar to me just like on the normal server.

Edited by z4ys

van der Decken    466
14 minutes ago, sruPL said:

Agreed, the battle will just turn into a WoT match where you have 15 minutes for a battle, yet it's over in 3 minutes 15-0.

2 minutes ago, Pablo Frias said:

Masts are know very likely to be shot down: If your sides and structure are low, one broadside in your hull can shot down them

I had a hard time with it in snake, placed some nice single shot on masts and a 100m aimed rake twice, to no avail. Also took ball shot broadsides that did barely any dmg to my sails.

van der Decken    466
Just now, z4ys said:

It was carronade aimed high at deck. Looked similar to me just like on the normal server.

Ahhhh....I've not experienced that on normal server. I thought it was due to my low side armor that just made it too easy for crew loss...imho.

z4ys    1,345

We would need a subforum for the Beta server. Because I dont know where that belongs to.

I like the sounds but it kills a lot of feeling when the dutch or swedish crew is talking in english. Would like to have a button so i can chose english or language of the nation that i sail for.

The sounds are so awesome cant wait to get them on the normal server

But there will be some people who dont want so much crew talk. An option to choose the rate of talk would be nice. low middle high.

Low would be what we have on the normal server at the moment and high is what is on beta server.

Cmdr RideZ    603

My 1st opinion.  Structure damage sucks.  This is making raking even more important, and big ships even weaker vs small agile ships.  I have nothing good to say about this.  You are making one trick pony tactics to be even better :(

True, was just my 1st impression.

edit.  The ships are too agile for this kind of rake damage.  What is so hard to understand in this?

edit2. Crew damage was already making rakes to be very important.  It is very hard for me to understand why you would even introduce something like this.  Are you guys playing your game at all?

Edited by Cmdr RideZ

rediii    2,672

raking is too important now, everything else is too weak to do.

positive thing: you can't rake a 1st rate with ball until you can board it because it will sink first :D 

Snoopy    1,145

Crew sounds => awesome!

Zoom out of battle map => very nice!

Rake is now the only meta => not good.

Mast collapsing from structural damage after rakes = overkill, adds nothing to combat.. you are already losing when being stern camped, mast coming down due to structure dmg makes recovery impossible => not good

Jon Snow lets go    1,906

IGN: Jon Snow lets go

I like the idea of structure, so that if your armor is perforated your ship loses stability and so even masts are falling.

It means tho that if you are low there is not much comeback potential and outplay potential left. So it lowers the skill ceiling i think.

d0d307b40eb24feb953380168f42d411.png

Gameplaywise I think its a mistake, because sternrakes received a massive buff and they are on the live servers already very powerful. You can now not only demast ships via shooting into the stern, but you can also kill them this way. I dislike it.

e493b45184fa4e6095a0841ff2b0a9fc.png

And give us an option to disable the crew sound pls, for me it gets rly annoying after a while.

Amount of battles: 2 small battles (1 with vic one with trinco)

Edited by JonSnowLetsGo

Srupl    1,388

This structure thingy is weird. When side structure goes to 0, all masts fell. Too extreme, maybe 1 mast? 2? But all?

Srupl    1,388
3 minutes ago, Snoopy said:

Crew sounds => awesome!

Zoom out of battle map => very nice!

Rake is now the only meta => not good.

Mast collapsing from structural damage after rakes = overkill, adds nothing to combat.. you are already losing when being stern camped, mast coming down due to structure dmg makes recovery impossible => not good

I like the idea of maybe losing 1 mast or so, because I hate dead ship running super fast and repairing, slipping away. This happens a lot in Port Battles, ship has 0 armour, heads back, disangages from fight, repairs and *POOF* goes back to combat.

Lord Vicious    1,429

Rake is alredy strong as is now not need further boosts, like demasting and give the ability LOL to triple demast ppl and sink them simply by stern raking.         pretty much all combat will be stern rake each others.

IF stern rake become this powerful then i am sorry to say a vic shooting 1-2 volley into a frigate should destroy it or kill soo much crew/cannons rigs to disable it 

What we need tbh is a little improvement in the penetration of the cannons since in the last 6 months  all ships received more mast hp, armor, more side armor, regional bonus, more structural hp.  while cannons value remain the same.

Another important thing, FIRESHIPS,  fireships  should work in a way that if you go in fireshock you cant remove it anymore.  too many ppl get fire and play with sourvival for keep fire on and off on and off.          

it remind me of potbs where a frig could sterncamp a firstrate and chew thrue the  structure and finish it that way...

Also tbh the combat is fine as it is lol, i not think anyone is complaining about.

all we need is a boost to caronades, and in general a slight buff on cannons pen/dmg 10-20% since ships armor/hp got shitload of boosts in the last 10 patch making fights incredibly long

Edited by Lord Vicious

Lord Vicious    1,429
9 minutes ago, maturin said:

Why can't masts be hitbox-based?

Becouse there is not a single case of a stern rake in age of sail who demasted a ship '? let alone double or triple demast.   And they already hit box based at list on the visible part

Do you think balls have enought cinetic power for go thrue masts of ships inside the ships?  i saw tripledemast that means a ball shoot from the stern position whent all thrue the ship to the bow and keept enought cinetic power for destroy the mast.

look how much stuff there is on the way

7uUQFLS.jpg

A1m7kAaZHkL.jpg

Edited by Lord Vicious

Ravern    39

While not perfect the current combat system is pretty good and a huge improvement to what it was a year ago.  You should focus on reversing what caused 75% people to leave and improve those areas of the game.

Edited by Ravern

maturin    5,451
2 minutes ago, Lord Vicious said:

Becouse there is not a single case of a stern rake in age of sail who demasted a ship '? let alone double or triple demast.   And they already hit box based at list on the visible part

Stick to your forte, LV, and leave history alone.

Masts aren't nailed to the deck; they extend beneath the waterline. A high-charge penetrating shot can wound the masts at gun-deck level.

Lord Vicious    1,429
3 hours ago, maturin said:

Stick to your forte, LV, and leave history alone.

Masts aren't nailed to the deck; they extend beneath the waterline. A high-charge penetrating shot can wound the masts at gun-deck level.

First of all i have a phd in history. Second i post images that show exactly how the masts are inside the ship, exacly for show how many material there is between the stern and the main mast, so unless you shoot with a damn RAIL GUN there  no you not gonna demast  the main mast of a damn firstrate from stern rakes.

Yeah and how many stuff there is between your ball and such masts? walls of wood, cannons, stored stuff, pumps etc etc, the balls will never ever have enought kinetic power for get the center mast from inside the ship.  Find me a single case of main mast lost by stern rake in history.

article-2583165-1C612C6000000578-322_634

this is what happens in reality (ok is a series but they pictured very realisticly what happens when a frig engage a 100 cannon ship), now compare it to how many volley a frig like a trinco sourvive against a firstrate in this game.

IF stern rake will kill cannons-crew-demast-sink a ship the lineships will be soo vulnerable that our entire game will revolve around stern raking each other. WHEN IN REALITY A 100 CANNONS FIRSTRATE WOULD ANNICHILATE A FRIG IN 1-2 VOLLEY TOP AT 250-300MT     The amount of splinters, man killed cannon disabled rig destroyed in reality make a firstrate impossible to be approach by a frig, since the firstrate can literally rain at you balls  from 500-600mt where the frig for be effective need to be at 50mt (wich he will never reach alive)

The meta of the game makes stern rakes incredibly powerful considering how long is a fight  and how resilent are our ships compared to the reality, so more stern rake power  = absurd game, where a surprise will eat 4-5 volley from a first then go stern rake it and decrew+demast+sink.

Edited by Lord Vicious

admin    25,970

little clarification
please when posting feedback post your in game name on the test server
subsequent feedback without in game name will be removed from the topic.

admin    25,970

main post updated

thread rules changed

when posting feedback post your in game name on the test server
subsequent feedback without in game name will be removed from the topic

The feedback should be structured like this

• Testbed player name
  • Ships tested
  • Approximate number of battles
  • What works and what does not and in what cases (preferably with battle specifics)

All off topic will be removed. Dont post messages like . I like it .. i dont like it. We need specifics. Posts without specifics will be removed and ignored.

If it is just a first feeling you are feeling ignore it and get more data. Don't post your first feelings.