Game-Labs Forum

Trading advice.

Macjimm

Question

I heard some helpful instructions and pieces of info over the last weeks but am still trying to sew it together.

• Delivery orders between free towns.
  • Buying cheap iron and coal and selling Iron Ingots VS buying Ingots and forging Fittings.
  • What to do?  Where?

Any tips?  Ideas?

Edited by Macjimm

7 answers to this question

I am on the PVP2 server, I do not know if this holds true on other ones.  Also note that prices and demand to change, but supply and demand points seems to hold fairly steady. That being said,

Mimbres - Buy Dutch Coca, Dutch Laudmun, or Gold Coast Ivory and sail them to Bimini. Sell them there and buy..

Bimini - Buy Jutland Amber or Danish beer and sail them to Mimbres. Sell them and go again.

All are shallow water ports and within the  rookies player area, so risk is lower. You should be able to close to double your investment for each leg, and they are short runs if you learn to work with the wind.

Use the traders tool in the maps screen and don't forget to get you officer the hold master perk to give you more cargo space in  your ship,

there are other short sail high profit runs in the rookies areas, but most of the fun is in finding them ;-)

There are many other runs like this out there, but that one should help new players get up and running. How you navigate getting in at out of the ports due to politics is up to you.

That's a good income generating trade run Tortuga Bob mentions. You'll find others. If you haven't yet, capture (or buy) a Traders Brig. It has the largest hold for a shallow draft which you need for the shallow rookie zone.

You'd have to use the traders tool (in maps) to determine if you can make a profit on ingots but $ profit is only part of the equation. You'll want to increase your crafting level and you can only do that by making things. I made the mistake of ignoring crafting when I first started and I literally wasted days and days when I could have been using up crafting hours and leveling up because your "wallet" will only store so many hours. Iron ingots are always needed as are gun carriages of all sizes. You can usually easily sell those as well as help out your clan if you're a member of one.

You won't make as big a profit as with trade goods, but making and selling crafted goods will move you up in craft levels.

Eventually you'll find an LGV for sale. Buy it. If you are on the PVE server, you can sail it short crewed without fear of attack.

Fair winds!

1 hour ago, Macjimm said:

Thanks for the advice.

Any more specifics on:

• Delivery orders between free towns.

Deliveries between free towns are not part of orders. Basically you're hiring a shipping company to move stuff from one freeport where you have an outpost to another one of your freeport outposts. Each delivery is up to 4 hold slots and a max of 1000 lbs. This is all accessed from the equipment screen.

Or do you mean delivery missions?

It seems like most of them are deliveries to a nation's port but you can get the missions while in your own or a free port.

If you're on PVE server, it doesn't matter but if you're on a PVP server you'll want to sail with a fleet combat ship: the best one you can crew.

Enable your smuggler flag.

Youll be in your trader ship unless attacked. If you are attacked and you don't have the wind to run away, order your fleet ship to stop, sail up to it and hit "x" to transfer over to command it in combat or you can just run in your trader while your AI fleet ship engages the attacker. Hit the "m" key while in combat to give commands to your AI fleet.

Pick a delivery mission that you're able to fill for an acceptable profit. If it's a heavy load, you may have to make several trips between the supply location or locations and the destination. This is especially important if you only have a small trader or the destination is a shallow port. Also make sure you have the money to buy the goods somewhere. You won't get paid for the delivery until all goods are delivered so that's something to consider.

Use the trader tool to find the closest or cheapest supply. You may find you want to sail farther for a better price. Go there, buy the goods and sail them to the destination. When you get to the destination port DON'T SELL THE GOODS, go to the delivery missions tab, click on deliver goods and deliver all or part. Repeat as necessary.

I don't believe delivery missions currently expire so you can work on several at once. You my sometimes ultimtely decide to cancel the mission because you find a better one or it ends up being too much trouble.

I find it helpful to write down my delivery mission details so I know at a glance how much I paid for goods, how much the mission will pay per unit, and if I spot a price that's almost as good and I can just cancel the mission and sell off stock I've accumulated. However, once you've delivered part of the order, you can't get those goods back.

Edited by Farrago
Provided a bit more information.
  • Like 1

For Pirates the run from Mort with anything Pirate related to La Tort to sale (find out what the free ports demands is) than buy anything except pirate goods and bring them back to Mort.  You can easy make a couple millions in a couple of hours.  This is a risky run, but prob the most profitable in the game as the two ports are so close and other Capitals don't have  free ports so close.Though it might be safer to just go from one capital to another in the newbie zone if your of a nation that controls most of the shallows.

As for produced goods ask in your nation chat or even global what folks might want. I'm trying to spur some econ for the newer guys by putting up buy orders for coal in Atwood and other places so I don't have to buy or produce it.   Things like this other folks might need.  Compass wood is a big demand right now.  Make some Fir and Oak buildings and produce them both.   Fir can be turned into tar and used for speed builds and ships.   Oak is used for many things so it's prob the most useful one.  Get compass wood as a by product and if your not building ships yourself other might buy it off you for a good price.

Raid AI traders or even players is another way to make money and get goods.  

And remember ask folks.  I might be a bloody pirate in game and will steal your trader in a heart beat if I catch yo in the OW, but in global (I never remember to turn on Help) or nation chat I try the best to help players out even if they are from other nations.  We where all noobs at one time or another.

• Like 4

There are lots of really great tips here.  Cheers all.

Appreciate the info on delivery missions.  I've considered them immersive and had a interest in doing one someday.  But I was told that using deliveries between free towns can be lucrative.  Don't quite get how the mechanics of deliveries can be so helpful.

3 hours ago, Macjimm said:

Appreciate the info on delivery missions.  I've considered them immersive and had a interest in doing one someday.  But I was told that using deliveries between free towns can be lucrative.  Don't quite get how the mechanics of deliveries can be so helpful.

Well, deliveries between free towns can be a helpful tool, but I don't know how they would be hugely lucrative as an overall strategy. One might be able to arrange in chat to provide that delivery service occasionally for other players but most players who need this have enough freeports and enough money to take care of it themselves. However, you might find that it can be a useful tool if you are spread out over the map. Let's say you have an outpost at freeports Cayo Biscayno and La Orchila. You find you can pick up some trade good in the rookie zone or even live oak on the continental US for X price. Looking at the trader tool, you see that you can sell that item for 3 times what you paid down in Willemsted. You can move the item to Cayo Biscayno, send it delivery down to La Orchila and then use a trader ship to move it over to Willemstad to sell. That's a significant amount of work for 3X profit when you could probably sell that item (trade good) in Charleston or another near port for a profit as well. It's especially limiting because its delivery is limited to 4 slots and 1000 lbs so you may have to send multiple deliveries.

• Like 1