Game-Labs Forum

No historical battle of Wilderness planned?

ross42899

Question

So, reading the info on the main page, it seems the historical Battle of the Wilderness (May 5th - 7th 1864) is not planned for UGCW? This seems a bit odd to me, as it was one of the large Battles in the Eastern theater of the Civil War. I hope the info on the main page is just incomplete and the Battle of the Wilderness will be in the final version of the game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Wilderness

• Like 1

6 answers to this question

I can imagine that the short-range combat in terrain impenetrable by formed units would make the map covered with fragmented units hard alongside or even intermixed with each other.  Strongly against it is that it would not be fun for most, may be tedious agony for others, and a roadblock to continuing the campaign.  Randomly killing off large numbers on both sides and moving on would be a useful option and save a lot of time and frustration. The only thing to be said in its favor is completeness and that the AI probably fares much better than the player from the confusion and disorder.

Spotsylvania, however, would be a good choice and very much in the character of this campaign, along with memorable Cold Harbor. One can't appreciate Cold Harbor without previous events, and Spotsylvania should be enough to give the feel of grueling combat without actual physical distress to the player.

Edited by MikeK

Fingers crossed for wilderness side battle in general overland campaign, along with others such as Spotsylvania Court house and North Anna to give it a general feel of attrition for both players. If they're side battles then they don't need an obscene amount of development and can be shorter to limit "actual physical distress to the player" xD