Game-Labs Forum

Running Out of Aumminition Does Nothing?

Felix

Question

Hey all

Loving the game so far, but one thing is really confusing me. When my units run out of ammunition they seem to jsut keep on shooting without any clear change occuring. I know the low on ammo warning pops up before the grey bar actually runs out so I thought that maybe I was just incorrect about them being completely out of ammunition, but I made sure to check with a unit that has a completely depleted grey bar and they were indeed still shooting. Seems to be the case with both cannons and infantry battalions.

Am I missing something, or is something wrong / not yet implemented?

6 answers to this question

The infantry and cannon still have a few volleys in them even though the ammo bar shows depleted, running out of ammo is definetely a thing and have had it happen to me a couple of times.

Edit: I stand corrected, see koros post below.

11 hours ago, Felix said:

Got it. Is this a gameplay contrivance (which I'm ok with) or is there some historical basis to this decision (simulating scavenging ammuinition off bodies or something?)?

I'd say it's a bit of both, but I'm sure it's mostly the 1st one.

15 hours ago, Felix said:

Got it. Is this a gameplay contrivance (which I'm ok with) or is there some historical basis to this decision (simulating scavenging ammuinition off bodies or something?)?

It's a bit of both, to prevent your units and the AI's from becoming completely useless in the event of running out of supplies.

• Like 1

For powder and especially for standard caliber projectiles, borrowing or scavenging was practical if permitted in a position or if assigned to organized details. Slowing fire when running low and holding a little extra in reserve for contingencies was a prudent practice at all levels in a field battle.  Artillery shooting themselves dry was notable as it left them as potential prizes useless for combat, but when ordered to make the maximum effort they would do so. 

Firing at 1/3 rate is effectively silencing the guns in terms of damage done.

• Like 1