Game-Labs Forum
admin

New port battles feedback

JollyRoger1516    705

I agree - the port battles are fun but at the same time little ahs changed in the fleet composition. It is still a full paly the meta or wait until you may join game which is simply a pain in the arse. The only change I can see is that ideas have come up to put 1 or 2 fast ships into the battle to gain zones quickly early on but that still leaves 23 ships with an exact build. Chasing after the flower of the month after each patch has been a pain and it also in all fairness doesn't look that nice when there is only one ship in the battle.

But apart from that I do like the new capture zones and I also like that regular PvP actions that fit into the open world are being rewarded now.

rediii    3,063
1 hour ago, JollyRoger1516 said:

I agree - the port battles are fun but at the same time little ahs changed in the fleet composition. It is still a full paly the meta or wait until you may join game which is simply a pain in the arse. The only change I can see is that ideas have come up to put 1 or 2 fast ships into the battle to gain zones quickly early on but that still leaves 23 ships with an exact build. Chasing after the flower of the month after each patch has been a pain and it also in all fairness doesn't look that nice when there is only one ship in the battle.

But apart from that I do like the new capture zones and I also like that regular PvP actions that fit into the open world are being rewarded now.

In PvP games you will always see the most effective compositions. Because there are not many different roles in age of sail battles you will always see the most effective ship and a few specialized ones. It is hard to impossible to get this away apart from a BR limitation (but then the same will happen after a while - the most effective shipcomposition will be used) or forcing limits on rates. (which is not a good solution!)

JollyRoger1516    705

I dunno mate - I just miss the times were connies, ingers, essex and trinc and the occassional other ships were all going into port battles. Seeing 50 ships being the same is a bloody bore and the flower of the month chase has worn me down as well.

koltes    1,982

There you have it. Another battle won/lost with no ships sunk. If anyone is going to tell me that this mechanic is working as intended then its a complete BS mechanic. Sorry but it is.
This time not even 1st rate, but 4th rates battle and it was lost before ships were able to get in there.
GB/US came there to have a fight with us. We went there to have a fight with them. The GAME have stopped us from fighting each other and sink ships... Hmm I thought that was the original idea of the NA? Huh
If this is NOT working as intended, then ok, lets get it to work.
Task one - remove capping circles mechanic
Task two - make ships sink each other

SB5EHHc.jpg

Edited by koltes

5 hours ago, koltes said:

There you have it. Another battle won/lost with no ships sunk. If anyone is going to tell me that this mechanic is working as intended then its a complete BS mechanic. Sorry but it is.
This time not even 1st rate, but 4th rates battle and it was lost before ships were able to get in there.
GB/US came there to have a fight with us. We went there to have a fight with them. The GAME have stopped us from fighting each other and sink ships... Hmm I thought that was the original idea of the NA? Huh
If this is NOT working as intended, then ok, lets get it to work.
Task one - remove capping circles mechanic
Task two - make ships sink each other

Koltes,

I wasn't at the PB, what happened?

I'm afraid your screen shot doesn't tell us why no ships sank. Was there a bug? Were the attackers screened out? Can you put some meat on the bones of the problem? Is there a video of the PB anywhere? Where was the PB?

Buster

koltes    1,982
3 hours ago, Busterbloodvessel said:

Koltes,

I wasn't at the PB, what happened?

I'm afraid your screen shot doesn't tell us why no ships sank. Was there a bug? Were the attackers screened out? Can you put some meat on the bones of the problem? Is there a video of the PB anywhere? Where was the PB?

Buster

Screen does not showing it, but this was the end of the battle. One side lost and the other have won. Nice and clean looking screen isnt it?
Topsail was recording, I'll ask him to upload to utube. Plain simple we had all circles and the attackers had no chance to even put up a fight for the circles. We simply got our 1000 points and walked away. Full stop. Now rewind back and ask anyone who took part in this battle from both sides. Was it enjoyable?

Yes we got the wind, but the wind wasn't horrible for GB/US and still they lost. It was ok, plus they were in 4th rates so not an issue to tack.
Problem was that as defenders we had all 3 circles before they even joined the battle. Yes they fked it up a bit, but nothing so horrible. The wind and join time is EVERYTHING in the current PB mechanic. Lose that and you lost before you even start joining the battle. Such mistakes should make it harder for them to fight, yeah maybe. Such mistakes could even mean loosing one of the options to win, yeah maybe. But loosing the entire battle for what??? That they showed up 5 minutes later to the battle? So what? How does this grants the defender a victory?

Where are the ship battles? Where are the attacks on the forts. As far as I concern the new mighty shiny forts are more useless than the 3 towers that were more of a nuisance for the defenders to protect rather than any help.
Every single person from both sides agreed that this was rubbish and that older PB fights were way more fun.

Issue #1. Capture circles gives points way too quick. I dont think any battle lasted more than 30 mins so far. All this preparation. All the wait. All the organization of people. All for 30 mins of doubtful fight? No thank you. Having 1 more circle than the enemy means that the enemy has to kill 5 ships in 5 minutes in order to gain same points. Is this a realistic thing to do?
Issue #2. Capturing alone gives enough to win the battle. This should be removed altogether. No capturing alone should make any side to win the battle. Make it so that each circle has maximum of 150 points capacity (like the fort). Whoever is capping the circle receives the points (at MUCH slower rate). The circle can change hands, but it will give maximum 150 points. Once points accumulated they are not removed even if the circle is lost. This will create focus objective and diversity by allowing battle callers to make decisions when and where they can sacrifice a circle.
Issue #3. Defenders ALWAYS start with advantage. They got one circle straight away. Why? Isn't this BF3 style match? What would the attacking side in BF3 say if the opposite team started with one base capped from the start? Either remove middle circle or make it in the same distance for both teams.
Issue #4. The wind vs battle starting time vs hostility points. Here is the scenario that I have seen a number of times already. The attacking side has to sail to PB, sometimes fighting the wind. Face the screeners. Figure out where the wind is coming from. Relocate and sail all the way to the other side fighting the wind because it wasn't right on that side to start with. Then some cant join for 2 minutes because they haven't earned hostility points so the whole team either have to wait or leave them alone dealing with screeners. This is just too great of the disadvantage. You don't have lots of time to figure the wind and get into positing and organize everybody. Sometimes it takes longer than 5 mnutes to just get to the other side of the large circle to position the entire fleet. This means that getting the right wind and not getting time disadvantage is too much relies on pure luck. Add to this that PB trigger takes grinding and 2 days waiting it just kills all the hype and joy.

Simple solution #1. Make Pre-Battle screen and Deployment Screen. Pre-Battle screen opens up 15 minutes prior the battle start and you can enter the Pre-Battle screen soon as you are in the region. In Pre-battle you sort your team out and decide whos gonna lead, whos gonna join the fight and make up the numbers, which ships to take to fights (so people can bring ships in fleet with them and switch to organize proper fleet setup). While in Pre-Battle screen 5 minutes before battle starts Deployment screen opens up like a minimap where you can place your ships. There should be two options for deployment. One is that people choose their own position and the other is made by the battle caller. Clan that flipped the PB should decide who joins the fight and how the deployment goes. This sorts out all joining issues. While OW is an opportunistic PVP area the PB needs to be organized better.
Simple solution #2. Make ships fight for BR instead of points. You sunk a connie and your team received 250 BR. Remove middle circle and give each team their own circle sort of like a base. Enemy's circle can only be capped for a maximum of 1000 BR for 4th rate battle or 3500 BR for SoL battle (or close numbers). The capping is only possible if no enemy ship is in the circle. The winning side is the side which won on BR. Kiting or avoiding battle wont work as the running team will risk loosing their circle and in case if no fire was exchanged due to the entire team running away avoiding contact then the other team will win on capping the circle. If any one ship has escaped the battle to save it from sinking then he is considered as sunk and his BR is added to the enemy's score

There you have it. Simple mechanics that oriented on killing ships. Keep testing this until its polished and make this a first stage of the port battle. Second stage will be fighting the fort itself with whoever got left from the battle. Make fort much more powerful. So attackers must not only win the screening stage, but also get through the fort defense.

Edited by koltes

koltes    1,982
On 1/9/2017 at 3:58 AM, JonSnowLetsGo said:

Maybe a simple solution could be that you cannot capture zones in the first 10 minutes or so.

This way both sides have a chance to get closer to each other and more ships will sink.

What would be a simple solution to the problem that people dont want to chase circles? They just want to fight and sink other players?

Edited by koltes

DeRuyter    724
On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 5:43 AM, rediii said:

In PvP games you will always see the most effective compositions. Because there are not many different roles in age of sail battles you will always see the most effective ship and a few specialized ones. It is hard to impossible to get this away apart from a BR limitation (but then the same will happen after a while - the most effective shipcomposition will be used) or forcing limits on rates. (which is not a good solution!)

Variable water depth and ship drafts would naturally change ship composition without using some artificial BR limit. Devs were looking at this but said that it would take too much coding and didn't make it in game.

koltes    1,982
2 minutes ago, Hodo said:

Funny on PVP1, yesterday, the 3 port battles we had, there were over 20 ships that got sunk.   Hell 10 of them where in one battle.  

Battles go a lot faster when ships get sunk.   If you just want to race around capping circles then you are in for a LONG battle, but the first side to sink a ship will win. 

You didnt really read my post above did you? No PB lasted more than 30 min. To me that is an issue.

I posted a screen which shows all green ships and the end of the battle. Both sides had 25 ships and were equal so PB was full. To me that is an issue.

You saing if you lose 1 ship you are doomed? I agree it makes hell of a hard job. How about when you start outnumbered from the beginning? So to even have a chance you have to bring 25 ppl to the fight. I dont beleve that even on PVP1 all PB are always in equal numbers. Especially when attackers are screened. If losing 1 ship means you gonna lose a battle of 25vs25 thats some complete rubbish and unrealistic mechanic. To me that is an issue.

Defenders ALWAYS start with an advantage. Why? To me that is an issue.

If I call the battle and got my team to cut the enemy team and separate them as a sensible commander I would have to order to focus fire and dispatch them asap. Thats what I call "won positioning". Why do I have to ignore an obvious advantage created by out own action and order my team to split and chase enemy to another circle just becuase they start avoiding combat and racing for a circle. In ANY battle scenario if one half of the team leaves the other this means a disaster. Aparently in NA now it is a valuable tactic. To me that is another issue.

We no longer go to PB to have fun. The only reason why they still happen is because we forced to in order to defend / attack region. One more fkd up patch that screw importance of regions further and there will be no more PB.

Prater    5,325

I think the circles need to be there.  It insures that one side doesn't kill a few enemies and then run away for the rest of the battle.  It insures that defenders can't continually run to run out the time.

But the circles need to be there to only decide who wins the battle at the end of the 90 minutes.  You shouldn't gain points from capturing circles.  The circles only matter at the end of the battle, and only if one side has not completely sank.  If at the end of the battle the attackers own all of the points, then they win.  If at the end of the battle the defenders own any of the circles the defenders win.  If the attackers for all intents and purposes defeats the defending fleet they should be able to capture all the points.  Make it so that points flip automatically based on BR.  No time to capture, no ship count, what matters is BR and the instant BR changes the ownership changes.

Also, the capture circles should be near forts or Martelos and represent the attackers overwhelming the land based defenders from naval bombardment and landing troops.

PS, requiring ships to be in the circle always means that one ship has to be left behind and not take part in fighting to get points from uncontested circles.  This isn't good.  Someone is sitting out.

Edited by Prater

koltes    1,982
6 minutes ago, DeRuyter said:

Variable water depth and ship drafts would naturally change ship composition without using some artificial BR limit. Devs were looking at this but said that it would take too much coding and didn't make it in game.

They should simply mix the teams with available ship slots to join.

For example SoL battle should have similar setup to this:

x 3 first rates slots

x 5 second rates slots

x 7 third rates slots

x 10 fouth rates

There you have it. You will have to really work on your tactics to ensure that SoL are supported and each captain will naturally have his own task in the battle. Battles of this setup would give way more divercsity than some circles

Chimera    533
26 minutes ago, koltes said:

You didnt really read my post above did you? No PB lasted more than 30 min. To me that is an issue.

I posted a screen which shows all green ships and the end of the battle. Both sides had 25 ships and were equal so PB was full. To me that is an issue.

You saing if you lose 1 ship you are doomed? I agree it makes hell of a hard job. How about when you start outnumbered from the beginning? So to even have a chance you have to bring 25 ppl to the fight. I dont beleve that even on PVP1 all PB are always in equal numbers. Especially when attackers are screened. If losing 1 ship means you gonna lose a battle of 25vs25 thats some complete rubbish and unrealistic mechanic. To me that is an issue.

Defenders ALWAYS start with an advantage. Why? To me that is an issue.

If I call the battle and got my team to cut the enemy team and separate them as a sensible commander I would have to order to focus fire and dispatch them asap. Thats what I call "won positioning". Why do I have to ignore an obvious advantage created by out own action and order my team to split and chase enemy to another circle just becuase they start avoiding combat and racing for a circle. In ANY battle scenario if one half of the team leaves the other this means a disaster. Aparently in NA now it is a valuable tactic. To me that is another issue.

We no longer go to PB to have fun. The only reason why they still happen is because we forced to in order to defend / attack region. One more fkd up patch that screw importance of regions further and there will be no more PB.

You guys are doing it wrong then ;-) On PVP1 there havent been any PBs where ships didnt sink. Would like to see a video on how this feet was accomplished.

And Yes: unless there is successfull screening PVP1 port battles are always 25 on 25. And no: battles havent been lost, just because one ship was lost by any side. That would only be the case if you just run after each other lemming style. there is 3 circles you can take ;-)

Defenders always start with an adventage: yes and no. really depends on the wind who has the adventage. Other then that: i believe defenders should have the adventage. 

On PVP1 port battles have been fun and a vast improvement over the last installment. At least for me

koltes    1,982
1 hour ago, Chimera said:

You guys are doing it wrong then ;-) On PVP1 there havent been any PBs where ships didnt sink.
Or maybe thats you guys who haven't figured yet how to win PBs the easy way?

On 7/01/2017 at 0:53 PM, koltes said:

x3 SoL 40points each = 120 points goes to the enemy who is concentrating on killing instead of capping.
5 minutes x 60 second / 5seconds x 2 points = 120 points - the enemy gets same number of points in 5 minutes as if they would have sunk 3 first rates.

And Yes: unless there is successfull screening PVP1 port battles are always 25 on 25.
So if one team is outnumbered say 15 to 25 does it have any chance of winning in your opinion? If yes, how? If no, why?

And no: battles havent been lost, just because one ship was lost by any side. That would only be the case if you just run after each other lemming style. there is 3 circles you can take ;-)
Hodo as always was just putting more drama to his words, but it does not change the fact that even slightly outnumbered team will most likely lose. Usually outnumbred team is the team that was screened, in other words the attacking team. The defenders ALREADY start with an advantage of having one circle capped right from the start. So thats penalizing the attackers even further.

Defenders always start with an adventage: yes and no. really depends on the wind who has the adventage.
Not true. Defenders ALWAYS start with advantage because they can enter and start capping from first second battle starts. And NO defenders don't have wind disadvantage. No matter which way the wind is going at least one other circle defenders can reach pretty much at the same time. Even when the wind is blowing straight into the port, by positioning their ships on the far edge of small join circle defenders will be pretty much in broad reach to both circles and arrive just seconds or a minute later which is not an issue especially because they already accumulating cap points from the middle circle.

Other then that: i believe defenders should have the adventage. 
Really you believe so? I don't. PBs are the only way to get full team on team in OW right now. Denying one side a fair start is not going to win lots of friends for this mechanic.

On PVP1 port battles have been fun and a vast improvement over the last installment. At least for me
I'm stocked that you have such a wonderful experience with PBs.
We don't. In our minds PVP battle needs to be all about sinking ships. Capping circles that are far away from each other is destructing all tactics that naval battles of Age of Sails were about.

koltes    1,982
2 hours ago, Prater said:

I think the circles need to be there.  It insures that one side doesn't kill a few enemies and then run away for the rest of the battle.  It insures that defenders can't continually run to run out the time.

But the circles need to be there to only decide who wins the battle at the end of the 90 minutes.  You shouldn't gain points from capturing circles.  The circles only matter at the end of the battle, and only if one side has not completely sank.  If at the end of the battle the attackers own all of the points, then they win.  If at the end of the battle the defenders own any of the circles the defenders win.  If the attackers for all intents and purposes defeats the defending fleet they should be able to capture all the points.  Make it so that points flip automatically based on BR.  No time to capture, no ship count, what matters is BR and the instant BR changes the ownership changes.

Also, the capture circles should be near forts or Martelos and represent the attackers overwhelming the land based defenders from naval bombardment and landing troops.

PS, requiring ships to be in the circle always means that one ship has to be left behind and not take part in fighting to get points from uncontested circles.  This isn't good.  Someone is sitting out.

So in short you want to keep circles as a measure to stop people running on both sides and they are not the primary objectives. Right?
What you've offered is way better than what it is now, but then why have 3 circles for that matter? It still make no sense to split your force in terms of naval tactics.

If the battle primary objective is to sink ships (and it looks like we both agree that this should be the case) and accumulate BR from ships sunk, then we need a measure to stop any side to accumulate points and run, preventing the other side to be able to catch up on points. In old style PBs there was circle that got smaller as time was ticking.
In new style PB the answer is right there for us.

@Prater, mate have a read carefully mate. I think this really could be the answer to having interesting and fun port battles.

Primary objective is to Capture the fort.

Instead of carrying marines (that are used in ship-to-ship capping) there needs to be an option to take Infantry on board. Those troops are useless in PB naval fight and basically cripple your ship, but are required to cap the fort.

No circles , but a white line on the water around the land on both sides of the fort. In order to send troops to cap the fort ships need to unload their marines, while they are stationary within the boundaries of the white line. When ship is taking enough damage (from defending players or the fort) the unloading is canceled with a 5 minute cooldown. So killing ships around the fort and destroying fort's cannon batteries is imperative. Else the landing will always be interrupted. The attackers could send more ships to unload troops, but this means having less fight capable ships in the team.

As troops are leaving the ships and are transferred on to the land and the fight against the fort is started. Each round is about 10 seconds. The more troops have been unloaded the more will die from the fort side, so at the start when attackers only have 10-50 troops the attack on the fort is very slow and kills maybe 2-3 fort defenders while 10-20 dies from the attacker's side. But when 2,3-5 ships have unloaded the infantry they were carrying and attackers on land have more support they start killing more and more fort defenders. Lineship battle size fort could have say 1000 troops. All troops needs to be killed in order for the fort to pull up the white flag. The moment the white flag is pulled the battle is over. The attacking side troops are also killed. The lesser the numbers on the attacking side, more of them is going to die. This means that the landing needs to be as organized as possible. More ships are being interrupted more they will lose their outnumbered and cut off troops. This also means that attackers needs to bring more than 1000 troops to get the fort, which is understandable because defenders will always be in such advantage of being under cover.

Defending players can stop the enemy from unloading by a good broadside. So they will need to stay around and prevent landings or they will lose the battle.
Attacking players needs to destroy the fort, the defenders and cap the fort in order to have the victory.

No one will ever run from this battle unless about to sink. No points to count. This will be full on battle. Realistic as f..ck and easy enough to implement. It will keep all sides fighting. There will be no advantage to avoid combat. There will be no arcade circles. Each port will be fightable no matter land shape.

Please collaborate

koltes    1,982
Just now, Hodo said:

Fact is you are reading more drama into what I am saying.  

I am not putting drama into anything.

I just said....

I dont see drama in that statement at all.  

Now if I had said.

OMG it was a slaughter, dozens of ships went down on fire, blazing, pixel men were screaming while they clung to the sides of their broken ships as they slowly slipped beneath the waves.  It was horrible, the things of nightmares.   

Now that is putting drama into a statement.  

ok whatever you say Hodo

Prater    5,325

I don't disagree with that, that is pretty similar to what I have suggested elsewhere, except maybe a bit more involved.  I like it.

Really, in what I propose in this thread above, we could do away with all but one circle, it doesn't need 3.  But I would rather have a system like yours or the system I suggested in another thread that is very similar.

In what you propose, we could have several spots around the map where you can offload the troops and not just one to add different approaches to the battlefield. 

koltes    1,982
4 minutes ago, Prater said:

I don't disagree with that, that is pretty similar to what I have suggested elsewhere, except maybe a bit more involved.  I like it.

Really, in what I propose in this thread above, we could do away with all but one circle, it doesn't need 3.  But I would rather have a system like yours or the system I suggested in another thread that is very similar.

In what you propose, we could have several spots around the map where you can offload the troops and not just one to add different approaches to the battlefield. 

I agree mate, I did not see what you have offered before but I recon this is the answer. My only concern is multiple circles as they could create multiple bottle necks.
You right. To tackle that I proposed a stretched shore line that could be used for landing troops. Not too far off the fort, but still stretched is brings more diversity to the landing

Edited by koltes

Prater    5,325

Let's talk above the above idea, where we have to land troops instead of capturing circles.  In my mind, this would be a grand way to conduct port conquest.  There is no longer any need for circles.  If the defenders want to run away to run out the time, they will lose because the attackers will just offload the troops and win.  If the defenders sink the attackers, they win.  If the attackers make a good attempt and the battle is essentially a stalemate and they haven't offloaded enough troops, better luck next time.

How do mortar brigs play into the mix?  I would say that they don't play a role.  All a mortar brig does when it destroys a fort or martello is knock out its guns from firing upon ships.  It does not kill all the troops stationed around the port.  Maybe it weakens the defenses a bit, but the attackers must still land troops to win.

I know this is the idea that I have been dreaming about when it comes to port conquest, and I suspect many others as well.

A question I have is would the troop transports be AI (like I have suggested before), or players?  If AI, that may be hard to code.  How I would do it is the attackers vote on a Fleet Commander (as I have suggested before).  The Fleet Commander controls the AI troop transports.  That way he can send the AI in when the attackers have fully engaged the enemy fleet.  Or maybe AI is not the way to go and players have to transport the troops.

Edited by Prater

koltes    1,982
1 hour ago, Prater said:

Let's talk above the above idea, where we have to land troops instead of capturing circles.  In my mind, this would be a grand way to conduct port conquest.  There is no longer any need for circles.  If the defenders want to run away to run out the time, they will lose because the attackers will just offload the troops and win.  If the defenders sink the attackers, they win.  If the attackers make a good attempt and the battle is essentially a stalemate and they haven't offloaded enough troops, better luck next time.

How do mortar brigs play into the mix?  I would say that they don't play a role.  All a mortar brig does when it destroys a fort or martello is knock out its guns from firing upon ships.  It does not kill all the troops stationed around the port.  Maybe it weakens the defenses a bit, but the attackers must still land troops to win.

I know this is the idea that I have been dreaming about when it comes to port conquest, and I suspect many others as well.

A question I have is would the troop transports be AI (like I have suggested before), or players?  If AI, that may be hard to code.  How I would do it is the attackers vote on a Fleet Commander (as I have suggested before).  The Fleet Commander controls the AI troop transports.  That way he can send the AI in when the attackers have fully engaged the enemy fleet.  Or maybe AI is not the way to go and players have to transport the troops.

Why cant I put 5 likes??? LOL

Unloading troops IS what players do in order to cap the fort. The so speak land battle only happens on paper and represented by pure numbers in the top center of the screen for each player under the battle clock. So troops are AI, once landed they are not in player control, who can only unload them or stop unloading. This will be the easiest way to make fort capture battle with the current game progress and resources that devs have at their disposal. In fact this is doable as a next patch.

So when 1 SoL carries 400 troops for example the attackers will need to unload at least 3 ships if they do it simultaniously at the same time. During landing attacking troops will be outnumbered most of the time so will lose some extra crew but 3 SoL doing landing together is about right to bring more or less even numbers to landing. The attackers will be screwed if the landing of at least one ship will be interrupted. They will start loosing more troops and need to bring another landing ship even if its a 4th rate with 150 troops or so on board. 

This means that if attackers screw up landing or start too early and it gets interuppted all the time then they will need much more troops than carried on 3 SoLs in order to kill all the fort defenders. In fact 3 SoL should provide just enough to even the numbers, so definitely need extra to win or even more to counter screw ups 

Example of landing troops process and Round Count:

- Landed 50 troops. Round count 50vs1000. Round reveals 40 troops killed on attackers side and 4 troops killed on fort side. Result count is 10vs996

- Attackers landed another 200 troops. Round count 210vs994. Round reveals 90 attackers and 30 defender killed. Result count is 120vs964.

- Attackers landed another 400 troops. Round count 520vs964. Round reveals 150 loses on attacking side and 90 loses on fort side. Result count 370vs874.

- Attackers land another 500 troops. Round count is 870vs874. Round reveals 100 loses on attacking side and 99 loses on fort side. Result count 770vs775.

- Attackers drop off remaining 300 troops they had. Round count is 1070vs775. Results are attackers killed 85, defenders killed 120. Result count is 995vs655.

From this moment taking the fort is just a matter of time.

The attackers vs fort count is at the top center of the screen so everyone can see it.

Sinking ALL ships is also another objective. If defenders sunk all ships of the attackers and fort has not yet surrendered, then attackers troops on land are cut off from their sea side support and surrender no matter how much they outnumber the fort. Fort held long enough and defenders have won even if there is only 1 last man left standing.

So the objective for attackers is either sink all ships or cap the fort. Objective for defenders is either sink all attackers ships or defend the port until 1.5 hours time runs out. Might have to increase PB time to 2 hours for SoL battles.

Nedless to say that round counts and casualties are just very rough approximates to simply give an example of how landing mechanic works 

Edited by koltes

Fletch67    285

Why not keep the port battle open for the full duration? Allow each side to constantly reinforce or send more ships in until the battle is over when a 1000 points are reached? The very fact you only allow 25 ships in is simply encouraging the same old meta game of 25 of the strongest ships. Allow a nation to throw a hundred ships at a port battle if they wish all be it 25 inside at a time.

Karpfanger    62
52 minutes ago, Fletch67 said:

Why not keep the port battle open for the full duration? Allow each side to constantly reinforce or send more ships in until the battle is over when a 1000 points are reached? The very fact you only allow 25 ships in is simply encouraging the same old meta game of 25 of the strongest ships. Allow a nation to throw a hundred ships at a port battle if they wish all be it 25 inside at a time.

let it open for the full duration up to the 25 ships are reached ... agreed ...

but ... I think the limit of 25 ships is caused by the performance in the battle instance ... would be laggy like hell ...

koltes    1,982
56 minutes ago, Fletch67 said:

But where do you draw a line? Unlimited supply of payers is utopia. This means even further penalizing a small nation. You have 100 people in small nation and 500 people in large nation. Is small nation ever gonna have a chance to win anything? 

rediii    3,063

I realy dont know what's wrong with the PB's of PvP2 because on PvP1 allways ships get sunk as long as the attacker attacks. If the attackers are a bit successfull ships will get sunk.

The Circles need to be there to prevent endless kiting and running away from the attacker in order to win.

Land can't be the only objective because then everyone just goes in with full boarding equip and caps the objectives as fast as possible, ignoring ships.

But i have to say:     Please raise the pointcap to 1500 devs

Edited by rediii

koltes    1,982
1 minute ago, rediii said:

I realy dont know what's wrong with the PB's of PvP2 because on PvP1 allways ships get sunk as long as the attacker attacks. If the attackers are a bit successfull ships will get sunk.

The Circles need to be there to prevent endless kiting and running away from the attacker in order to win.

Land can't be the only objective because then everyone just goes in with full boarding equip and caps the objectives as fast as possible, ignoring ships.

But i have to say:     Please raise the pointcap to 1500 devs

You did not read it properly.
Attackers will lose if they just gonna go straight for landing. Few hits at a ship will disturb landing and put it on cooldown for 5 mins, while outnumbered troops are dying under fort's fire.
Before going for landing attackers will have to fight screening fleet of the defending players.