Game-Labs Forum

What's YOUR favorite?

Stonewall47

I've been seeing a decent amount of negativity the last little bit, so I decided to give the Devs some encouragement! 

What's your favorite thing about UG:CW? 

Mine is the immersion. I get attached to some of my brigades and try crazy hard to keep them from taking heavy losses. I don't know if I have ever played a strategy game where I cared that much about my units... 

Now it's YOUR turn!

• Like 1

Great idea, Stonewall.

'Camp'. 

If this game is tabletop miniatures, then 'Camp' is the time and effort one must put into painting and mounting your units before the game begins. You have to think out your OOB, put it on the field, let it absorb fire, then atweak it before it goes back in the line. 

The way the devs have layered the camp is kind of brilliant. It's not fully baked, but I see where they're going. All the factors built into something like Total War or Europa Universalis are boiled down to a few points the player can allocate as he wants. And the way it's designed, they gave us more than one way to skin the cat. 

A unit gets a promotion, you can tailor it for firepower or melee. You can give it the best commanders available, and go shopping for whatever arms you may have at your disposal, then send it back into the line again. 

The net result is a gamer can custom build an army down to the nth degree of precision, and therefore the gamer becomes very attached to his units. I have vet units and cannon fodder units, and I won't push the vets too far because I want them back. Badly. And if the cannon fodder units get mentioned in dispatches and stripe up, I get the fun of upgrading them and push their gear down to the next batch of raw recruits. 

Edited by Andre Bolkonsky
  • Like 3

The miniature soldier battle feeling, joined by the movement and management, fell in love with painting arrows to move on UG_gett, now   the added posibility of "drawing" a line for multiple formations at same times definitively is 10 points on this feature  ( perhaps 9.8 until a shortcut to pause/unpause is created) . Being able to complete a big battle in quite a detail and short time is a fresh gust of wind.

1 hour ago, JJPettigrew said:

The miniature soldier battle feeling, joined by the movement and management, fell in love with painting arrows to move on UG_gett, now   the added posibility of "drawing" a line for multiple formations at same times definitively is 10 points on this feature  ( perhaps 9.8 until a shortcut to pause/unpause is created) . Being able to complete a big battle in quite a detail and short time is a fresh gust of wind.

P for pause :)

6 hours ago, Andre Bolkonsky said:

'Camp'. 

If this game is tabletop miniatures, then 'Camp' is the time and effort one must put into painting and mounting your units before the game begins. You have to think out your OOB, put it on the field, let it absorb fire, then atweak it before it goes back in the line. 

Love this option, it really makes me totally immerse in whole war actually.

I also have my "favorites" brigades which are used as crack troops on battlefield.

Am I missing some easy way to arrange division order (as well as brigade order in division)? I'm usually re-arrange my divisions before major battle to make less experience troops appear at start, leaving my crack troops to be reinforcements (to minimize losses and use them in deciding part of battle). But I can't easily re-arrange division order, in fact I need to transfer division between corpses (ie move from 1st to 2nd corps and than from 2nd to 1st) to do that. 

And I can't re-arrange brigade order in division at all?

Am I missing something or thi is not possible currently (in which case I would suggest to add some interface to Camp)

• Like 1

the only strategy game that isn't arcady looking (keep spamming soldiers on a small map until you overwhelm your opponent or he overwhelms you) this is pure strategy on large map with the option to arm your soldiers as you see fit, this is the kind of strategy game that total war started it with then they made there game lose all of that just to appeal to younger people who only care about the action and the animation.

This is why i want to see Ultimate general move to different era's (the medieval era/ WW2/ WW1).

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, AegorBlackfyre said:

....just to appeal to younger people who only care about the action and the animation.

This is why i want to see Ultimate general move to different era's (the medieval era/ WW2/ WW1).

The game is also a statement that graphics are not the deciding factor in making a solid game. I would totally be fine with the style staying the same, while just changing the setting.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Slobodan said:

Love this option, it really makes me totally immerse in whole war actually.

I also have my "favorites" brigades which are used as crack troops on battlefield.

Am I missing some easy way to arrange division order (as well as brigade order in division)? I'm usually re-arrange my divisions before major battle to make less experience troops appear at start, leaving my crack troops to be reinforcements (to minimize losses and use them in deciding part of battle). But I can't easily re-arrange division order, in fact I need to transfer division between corpses (ie move from 1st to 2nd corps and than from 2nd to 1st) to do that. 

And I can't re-arrange brigade order in division at all?

Am I missing something or thi is not possible currently (in which case I would suggest to add some interface to Camp)

You hit upon several good topics, which I'm sure will be addressed in a patch before too much longer. 

It would be nice to be able to rename/reassign entire divisions between corps, and to alter their order of appearance on the battlefield by using some form of marching column ordre.